Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is this computer any good?

Basically i have a desktop already, massive powerhouse, however i am unwilling to bring it to my first year at uni! generally for first impressions, and the dorms arnt particularly secure haha, aswell as general transport problems associated with bringing a desktop to class (my hand writings worse than a dyslexic five year old using hand paint!)

Im going to need it to be portable, aswell as being able to play rome 2 total war, wildstar when it comes out, skyrim and planetside 2
    to my untrained eye the specs seem decent.... and the smaller size of the laptop is a real plus and the light weight...

the reviews seem to suggest its good but i wanted some experts to confirm it!

TLDR - Low budget - need transportable laptop that can play games at decent settings

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/ran...techeliten1535

thanks peeps!

Looks pretty nice for gaming, but battery life is probably shit if you need to use it somewhere without being able to plug it into wall. Also the tiny 1366x768 resolution will be huge pain in the ass if you need to do large spreadsheets, powerpoint or run a modern IDE for programming.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I'm not the greatest with computers, but from what I know, cheaper laptops usually have decent specs all around until you get to the graphics card. From the looks of the one in that laptop, it doesn't seem very good. But maybe someone who is a lot smarter can say for sure. I'm sure it would be good enough though.

Deleted
    battery life apparantly is 5 hours, Im doing geography-geology so will be mostly word

10+ Year Old Account
    Single 650m graphics. Don't be surprised when you have to turn most of your games on Low settings or Medium at best. Especially games that aren't even out yet.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Really? I struggle to find and in this price range with a better graphics card

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't mean it was a 'bad deal' for the price. Just don't get your expectations too high on that budget.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

It's bigger (more annoying to carry around in classes) and has higher resolution. On the downside it will run games much slower.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    AFAIK, lower numbers mean worse performance for Nvidia cards. I doubt a 630 is better than a 650.

what's your budget? if you want a laptop intended for gaming, you shouldn't be too stingy, especially if you want to keep using it for the 3 years of uni and want to game on it in 3 years as well.

laptop is never a very good option for gaming.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...ist.844.0.html
    These are the listings of all the current laptop graphics cards currently on the market. The 650M is currently 76th on the list and the 630M is 172nd on the list.

Deleted
    budget is just about 800 Pounds
    is this much much better?
    http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/sy...plorer_X6-6000
    and yes i know desktops are better, i have one, im just not taking it to first year of uni, i will take it to second year however

Quote Originally Posted by Charliesheen View Post
    Yes, although: switch RAM to 8GB and hard drive to 750GB 7200rpm model. Price will be £732 total.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    budget is just about 800 Pounds
    is this much much better?
    http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/sy...plorer_X6-6000
    and yes i know desktops are better, i have one, im just not taking it to first year of uni, i will take it to second year however
    Looking through benchmarks it could handle a mix of medium/high/ultra at decent frames, mostly high though.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Same performance, the cyber is cheaper though.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    thanks
    last time im gonna do this
    how does this one work out?
    http://web.eurocom.com/ec/ec_modelspecs(238)x ?
    costs 750 quid

battery life apparantly is 5 hours, Im doing geography-geology so will be mostly word
    Take any battery life estimate you read and divide it by five if you actually intend to do anything with the laptop while on battery.

10+ Year Old Account
    'the reviews seem to suggest its good but i wanted some experts to confirm it!'
    reviews arent done by idiots, those are professionals and experts who write those reviews, they dont just grab some guy off the streets like you are doing here