[Advice] 2nd haste cap

hi guys,

always read these forums and there's a lot I've learned here. Am about to get my 600 cape off legendary quest line and it looks like i am going to have excess haste from the tri 991 haste/spirit/mastery, which makes me want to consider getting to the 2nd haste cap.

content - 10m heroics, my guild has down horridon, ji kun and jin rokh and we should get iron qon this week. spirit - 14k ( am not having any mana issues and could consider lowering it if u guys could suggest something )

am blacksmith and JC so i have the flexibility to hit cap, any advice to if i should get the 2nd cap would be really appreciated.

armory - You are not allowed to post any kinds of links, images or videos until you post a few times. ... meh ok not letting me

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/thaurissan/Spankcute
    Last edited by spankcute; 2013-07-22 at 05:09 AM.

No idea what spec you are talking about. Maybe you should mention it in your title.
    Edit: But I suppose you are restoration after reading your post carefully - 6652 should be piss easy to get, go for it.
    Mew!

Deleted
    I don't think it is worth losing the mastery for just 1 extra tick of WG, especially in 10M.
    I think you will lose about 5% mastery in order to gain the 6652 haste breaking point.

For now i think it would still be better to stick with the first 3043 haste breaking point.

Long response to your question.

I ran your stats through vow1152's great spreadsheet here (it won't let me insert a link because I haven't posted enough):

docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An4ZmaPj8LjvdFl6WFY1VVNwdENWSTEwaEpYRWEyMXc#gid=0

(Warning that I'm not very savvy at using spreadsheets or math so there could be some mistakes).

I used 6699 haste because that's what you end up with if you sub out mastery with haste on your gemming. It's likely possible to get closer to 6652 by messing around with reforges.

I had to edit the formulas for Rejuvenation's HoT Duration because it was incorrectly adding a tick at the 6652 breakpoint.

Basically, I don't see a huge difference between the two setups and it likely comes down to personal preference. Learning the fights will be WAY more important than agonizing over secondary stats. However, I would suggest that the second breakpoint is going to perform better in 10 man while in 25 man staying at 3043 (or 13163) is superior.

For mana efficiency and Heals per Cast, you lose about 5.2% on rejuvenation, but its going to tick faster so, in a given amount of time it will heal for roughly 2.1% more. Wild Growth and Efflorescence will heal for about 6.7% more per cast. Lifebloom will tick for about 5.2% less but it will tick roughly 8.5% faster so it will be a bit stronger.

Tranquility and mushrooms will heal for somewhat less. Regrowth will heal for a bit less for you per cast because you're using the glyph.

The less tangible gains from higher haste include:
    - reduced cast time for placing mushrooms and casting lifebloom, regrowth, and rebirth
    - faster tranquility channel
    - more dps during HotW
    - more mana returned from your Horridon's trinket
    - more legendary meta procs
    - you are a troll so at the second haste breakpoint berserking will get you to the third breakpoint and add a tick to rejuvenation and tranquility turning it into a valuable mini cooldown
    - the fact that the raid haste buff and berserking buff are multiplicative while the mastery buff is always 3000
    - reduced sniping of your heals and you will look better on the meters (which maybe shouldn't matter but I suspect does to many players)
    - you arent going to get punished as much if you're like me and don't play perfectly and lifebloom falls off fairly often (especially when learning an encounter)
    - the first breakpoint may feel sluggish and less enjoyable to play

I treat the increased omen of clarity procs as being neutral (you get more of them but each one is a bit less powerful). Arguably having more, but faster and weaker OoC procs, is more valuable because it makes your healing more "granular" and better able to fit the damage there actually is (i.e. less overheal).

That 2% or so gain on the throughput of rejuvenation and lifebloom is nice in ten man because, at least on the margins, you shouldn't have to cast regrowth as often. Alot of times its only the tanks that are taking damage and the damage is heavy and there's a premium on getting them to full quickly (I'm thinking of Durumu specifically but there are likely many other examples).

Stronger rejuvenation and lifebloom means less regrowths, and stronger wild growth/efflorescence should mean a few less rejuvenations. I like having bigger heal per cast Wild Growth and Efflorescence because these are hyper efficient and limited by a cooldown and one of the hallmarks of strong resto druid play is maximising your use of these.

In 25 man there are other healers to fall back on and resto druids can get away with filling a more specialized niche. Mushrooms (and the overheal from big heal per cast rejuvenations) are probably way more valuable in 25 man. Mushrooms don't seem that great in efficiency terms when they're only hitting a few targets which is likely alot of the time in 10 man outside of Megaera. I suspect that alot of the overheal from bigger rejuvenations will be wasted or used suboptimally in ten man. Most heroic 25 man resto druids seem to use the first breakpoint and continue to gem spirit even at high gear levels so I'm not going to second guess them.
    Last edited by Olcar; 2013-07-23 at 05:50 PM.