Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Choice of server options: Casual - Normal - Hardcore

Ok so Vanilla servers will not happen ( I wish there was) but what about a different option :

A choice of server types, a casual server where casuals can gather and play, LFR would give same ilevel as reg and regular same ilevel as heroic.

A normal server where everything is the same as current.

And a hardcore server where the below are implemented.

1. No LFR pre-raid gear comes from 5 mans only and some quests, faction, no gating.

2. All dungeons are heroic level

3. 5 mans are BC level difficulty

4. 25 man raid teams only

4 changes. This is an option where it would no affect casuals in any way and make both camps happy. It covers all your bases, casual, normal and a more hardcore server. Win - win right? I do not see how anyone could dispute the changes. The first 2 server types would be minor changes, the last (hardcore) would be more effort but not too bad actually. I think this is a great idea and I would re-sub immediately.

* Edit 1

Ok so lets talk on the segregation of players. Anyone can choose any server at any time, there is no "LABLEL" is will be 100% about gameplay choices. Any player is allowed to join any server at any time, exactly how it is currently. Nothing changes in that regard.

What I am getting in the majority of feedback here (and please stop being so overly-dramatic as some of you have done, thankfully a small number ) is that many of you are anxious that some hardcore players would leave. The good thing is that this would bring back many players (like me). The good thing is that players would have more choices and alleviate some really large issues I see posted day after day after day on this site and others.

Yes, it is a good possibility that some hardcore players would leave to this other server. That makes some of you anxious/nervous/whatever and I am still not sure why.

These server options should also coincide with server merges, which would really assist low pop servers. I will try and edit my OP later to display in first post the good/bad feedback I am seeing.

**Edit 2

I will also add this, which I forgot in OP: This is debatable / adjustable, not sure it this makes full sense or not, would implement player accountability:

No transferring of toons off of hardcore servers. Transferring into hardcore servers would also have to have certain rules for fairness.

*** Edit 3

There should (perhaps) be two servers, normal and hardcore. To minimize implementation.

**** Last edit

While I am surprised by some of the reactions here and it is what it is, I will say that I am very confident that this "hardcore" server ( I should of used a different name perhaps) would not be empty, in fact I strongly believe it would be more popular than you many of you think. I think that is what has some of you so worked up perhaps, that this may affect you in same way.

You may say this server would be empty and no one cares, but I fully believe it would take more than one server to accommodate the demand for a server option like this. I suspect most competitive guilds would want in and guilds who want a level playing field without all the other white noise, players who want a different experience than the current one would jump in, believe it or not, many casuals would as well. The current game is not all peaches and cream, many people want significant change.

This would be an avenue and a option for people who have wanted something like this for a while now.
    Last edited by Grogo; 2013-08-14 at 02:14 PM. Reason: edit

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to ask yourself 'why do you want to segregrate players?'

what positive outcome could segregation accomplish? The only possible motives i could conceive of are inherently elitist in nature, not practical, as the practical effects of segregration are all concievable negative or neutral.

To add, I have always been opposed to LFR, hated it in concept and practice. The casual players like it and I cannot argue its importance to some players. I have thought about this, realized i come off as an asshole about it. Casuals do indeed pay the same amount monthly as anyone else and should have a say. I have changed my mind on this part but still feel LFR and other implementations keep me from the game.

This proposal of 3 different server types would work out great in my opinion, feel free to post your feedback, good and bad and i will try to anwser any questions/feedback on it.

Please no. Just another veiled "LFR sucks" thread... how about "hardcore" servers have permadeath as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    how does segregating the servers solve the problem of you not liking LFR when simply not participating in LFR solves the problem of you not liking LFR?

in before "hardcores join the casual server to run normal mode to get heroic gear and easy server firsts"

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post

what positive outcome could segregation accomplish? The only possible motives i could conceive of are inherently elitist in nature, not practical, as the practical effects of segregration are all concievable negative or neutral.
    Seems to work quite well for PvP.

As for positive outcomes, it's a matter of folks being able to play in an environment they prefer. Why is that somehow applicable to nearly every other aspect of the game, but not to server types themselves?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    how about "hardcore" servers have permadeath as well?
    Ironman servers! no items above white quality! all deaths are permanent!

I disagree 100%. The positive outcomes is that players could then play the game as they want to, the right style for them. This will not segregate as all players on said server will have the same experience they want to have. If you mean, separate casuals and hardcore, that's a choice of the players. Would the casuals miss the hardcore players or vice versa?

I suspect (could be totally wrong) what may happen is many more than you and I think is that many players might gravitate towards the hardcore servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Seems to work quite well for PvP.

As for positive outcomes, it's a matter of folks being able to play in an environment they prefer. Why is that somehow applicable to nearly every other aspect of the game, but not to server types themselves?
    I think for PVP segregation could work but for PVE there is not effect at all on segregation except to maybe to create auction houses that never have elite BoE gear in them.

- - - Updated - - -

what is stopping you from playing as you want to now?

your guild already raids at the level it wants to doesn't it? your RBGs and PvP teams are already rated.

The hardcore content already exist and nothing is preventing you from accessign it.

is it that you don't want to have to look at non hard core players in your faction city?
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2013-08-13 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would play on a hardcore server.

This is a win-win situation, for all types of players. This is not about anything more than game choices for the player, this should be implemented.

n before "hardcores join the casual server to run normal mode to get heroic gear and easy server firsts"
    Casual players do not give a shit about raid races i would think, I believe competition would not be a factor and even so would not change a thing on the casual server.

Nah, the servers are much better off with a range of people.

I think for PVP segregation could work but for PVE there is not effect at all on segregation except to maybe to create auction houses that never have elite BoE gear in them.

- - - Updated - - -

what is stopping you from playing as you want to now?

your guild already raids at the level it wants to doesn't it? your RBGs and PvP teams are already rated.

The hardcore content already exist and nothing is preventing you from accessign it.

is it that you don't want to have to look at non hard core players in your faction city?
    The thing about hardcore players is they also want everyone to be on the same level playing field and many (not all of course, just opinion here) want to the options I listed above for the hardcore server.

Your options are not "casual", "normal" and "hardcore" but "ultra-casual", "super-casual" and "normal".

Because many people have non-compatible tastes.
    The simple fact that you jump on the "elitist" buzzword without giving it a second thought is quite telling.

No.

The game's "easy" enough as it is but the balance is right for people of all skill levels. (Well; Outside the whiners who want everything to be easy mode - and they shouldn't be playing an MMO in the first place.) If you want something stupidly hardcore go play EvE or EQ1999.
    WoW is WoW.

PvP servers are technically the "hardcore' mode anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesahaettr View Post
    Nah, the servers are much better off with a range of people.
    Why? There will be a range on each server, it will naturally happen. This is all about player choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    there is no conceivable detriment to you as a hardcore player to have non-hardcore players on the same server as you other than you don't like them (which is injustifiable prejudice)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't agree with the options here. Spreading people to different locations is ridiculous, and it's dimming the population down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Your options are not "casual", "normal" and "hardcore" but "ultra-casual", "super-casual" and "normal".

Because many people have non-compatible tastes.
    The simple fact that you jump on the "elitist" buzzword without giving it a second thought is quite telling.
    Explain to me how it is not elitist. please.

How does the taste of one player affect the ability of the other gamer to play the game itself?