Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post
    Hi everyone.
    me and my girlfriend are moving to the U.S this october (we currently reside in Israel)
    and I was wondering: is it possible for someone who did not study in the U.S or took the GRE exam to study a master's degree in an american university?
    Would the American universities (or anywhere else in the world for that matter) accept diplomas from Israeli institutes as legitimate diplomas? Even if i studied at a college and not a university per se?

If it makes any difference, I have a B.Sc in Applied Mathematics and another in Computer Science from Holon Institute of Technology in Israel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holon_I..._of_Technology

Thanks.
    I think your degree would be fine, especially since it is a hard science degree. In regard to funding, ask about teaching or research assistantships. I had one throughout all of my masters and for the majority of my doctorate and got my graduate education 100% funded. It isn't perfect since you have to usually work a job for your department, but its better than a lot of other options for funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Your degree will probably be fine, but you will find out when you apply. Quality hard science students are hard to come by.
    I seriously doubt this. Applied Mathematics - fine, pretty unusual. Not a lot of math majors.
    But computer scientist? I think 30% of my class mates in high school now study computer science at university. Programmers are dime a dozen and that market is saturated (At least in Israel. Computer Science majors aren't rare. I can't imagine it being different in the united states)
    Last edited by Eyechewer; 2013-07-27 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EngineeredDelusion View Post
    They are definitely overpriced, but then again, if you analyze the curricula and syllabus of each American institution of higher learning and compare it with other institutions across the world, the average level of the quality of education is vastly superior.
    I'm not sure... there are many courses, especially lower level, which are an absolute waste of time and money unless you enjoy learning from powerpoints while dealing with 200-500 other students in the same auditorium.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyechewer View Post
    I seriously doubt this. Applied Mathematics - fine, pretty unusual. Not a lot of math majors.
    But computer scientist? I think 30% of my class mates in high school now study computer science at university. Programmers are dime a dozen and that market is saturated (At least in Israel. Computer Science majors aren't rare. I can't imagine it being different in the united states)
    Oh yeah, I missed the "computer" in "computer science." My mistake.

I know computer science is a very popular field for undergraduate studies. I'm not sure how popular it is for graduate level, though.
    Regardless, it really won't be the case that you can't get into graduate school just because your Bachelors wasn't at a super prestigious school. You may have competition and there may be some places you won't be preferred, and you might have to get student loans and pay yourself, but it won't be the case of can't-go-to-school-because-of-it. It is also going to depend a lot on where you apply.

I mean, take the GRE and then apply at places near to where you're living and find out! I don't think you should be discouraged, though.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |