Thread: Samsung 840 EVO

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    curious if the over provisioning setting is worth using, any one with any experiance with it?
    It should be, and it didn't look like there was any harm done from doing that when I first configured my friend's 830. It's supposed to improve your SSD's performance (and even its longevity?) at the cost of using up some of its space, which should be very welcome if you suspect that you're not going to need those extra GB's.

Deleted
    just learnt what it was, trim, got the 250 gb so have the space, all the important stuff is now installed drivers and codec wise so fine with space, only wanted to use up around 20 gb, so still got plenty of space for 2-3 demanding games that i play often

Deleted
    got some benchmarking results

firstly the samsung software

and with my HDD as well

and now anvils storage utility
    1GB test

and the 32 GB test, had some issues with this, took a while to initialise this test and same for 16 GB as well, will try redo them

these were all done with rapid mode enabled and over provisioning

Deleted
    These results are pretty much exactly what I expected. Thanks for testing.

Deleted
    I know the topic is old but I figured there was no point in making a new one to post an update on this... If you disagree (mods) just delete my post.

Either way, Samsung 840 Pro now has support for RAPID Mode, simply update the Magician software and enable RAPID. I suggest using latest firmware as well, here are my results:

Haha, "This bar goes up to 540, but I'll show 1276 because I'm so awesome!"

Think it's worth it to move from a Vertex 3 Max IOPS 128GB to a 840 EVO 250GB? Or would the difference be near unnoticeable?

Deleted
    For general use, no. For reliability and extra capacity, sure.

Deleted
    Double write speed is double write speed, now if you're one that can take advantage of this or not I have no idea.

That wasn't what he tested though; He didn't test the drive, he tested the RAM cache.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    <SNIP>
    I think you're reading into this too much and also read what Tetris just replied.

I just posted the results, I didn't really share my opinion on it.

Define the "actual performance of the disk", please.
    This is not being tested nor claimed to be tested.
    There are benchmarks that are being made to the drive without RAM cache. How is it a bad thing to test what it performs like with it?

I think few (informed) would think it'd alone saturate twice the amount of s-ATA bandwidth possible.
    I think few (uninformed) would understand what the figures mean and/or find them without also finding the benchmarks of the un-RAM cached tests, since those are more abundant to begin with, and even if they selectively didn't find them, they'd a) not notice the difference (which few people even looking for it would) b) in most reasonable scenarios would have said cache performance anyway.
    &nbsp;

Deleted
    You can test with and without caching enabled, I don't get your fight against it.

The drives are not sold and advertised as being 1GB+ drives.

We can test the cache performance with other benchmark tools. Also the benchmark tool in Samsung Magician was in there long before Samsung EVO or RAPID mode was released. Magician also shows drive health status, total Bytes written etc.

Here are tests before and after and included my secondary SSD as well:

Samsung 840 PRO Cache disabled:

Samsung 840 PRO cache enabled:

Crucial M4 No caching obviously:

I can tell you right now I can definitely tell the difference but it was already really fast/snappy and caching does have potential risks so I'm not certain I'll have it running but the option is there.

Deleted
    The Samsung Benchmark isn't reporting any different numbers than say AS SSD or other bench tools. RAPID mode is also not enabled by default. Again the tool was there before RAPID mode, I really don't understand the issue. You don't have to explain again because I apparently don't get your point or I get it and don't agree and don't see the point.

Also as I said the Samsung SSD's are listed at there actual read/write potential not numbers with RAPID enabled. Go to Newegg etc. and you will see what I mean. Another thing is I actually like their software unlike many other hardware manufacturers which tend to crash or work like crap, ASUS AI Suite anyone?

You can set over provisioning, easily adjust the drive for max performance, reliability and capacity. Easy Firmware upgrade etc. You can do all this without the software but it's very convenient, to me anyway.

Photoshop is one area I notice a difference, like I said it's not massive but it's noticeable but again it was already fast so it's not a necessity by any means.