Thread: Fat Pets

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    One of my dogs is fat because he has free access to as much food as he wants but he doesn't like to walk. The other one is very fit and likes to walk with me. Sometimes the dogs just don't like to exercise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post

I know people that sit in a LFR queue for wow, 60 mintues as a DPS. they couldve gone for a walk in that time, done something with their pet. etc. came back and then did their lfr. just irritates me.
    Well what if the queue pops up while they're busy?
    Derp.

Gaming is my relaxing time, I can't relax or enjoy a game while I am juggling real life priorities just so I don't have to feel guilty for sitting down for an hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    The vets tells my parents that its more important that our new 4 mo kittens get proper food than keeping our 2 yo cats at a decent weight. That's why our 2 yo cats are getting fat. They have to eat the kitten food and we have no way of keeping them separate.
    Feed them at separate times in separate rooms. I wish I could say what works for our dogs works for your cats...we got Godiva as an 8 week old puppy when Bailey was already an adult. We moved his bowl to the other end of the room and hand-fed him from there for the first few days. In no time he knew that was his bowl and Godiva knew that her bowl was hers. They eat at the same time but eat different food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some dogs will eat and eat and eat until they are sick. Others will eat just enough and come back for whatever is left later on.
    Also some dogs need more exercise than others depending on breed and age, mix that with the dogs temperament to food and things are not as simple as you make out.

My cats though will nibble at their food constantly all day and night and vary rarely will they actually 'ask' for more food if we don't notice their bowls are running low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Feed them at separate times in separate rooms. I wish I could say what works for our dogs works for your cats...we got Godiva as an 8 week old puppy when Bailey was already an adult. We moved his bowl to the other end of the room and hand-fed him from there for the first few days. In no time he knew that was his bowl and Godiva knew that her bowl was hers. They eat at the same time but eat different food.
    and cats don't give a damn whose bowl is whose. Ive seen all 4 of them eat from each bowl, and share litter boxes. We tried the separate thing and it didn't work either. They whined and refused to eat because apparently all my cats need eating buddies of the opposite size. It isn't an easy thing to do with them. All we can do is have lots and lots and LOTS of playtime for the 2 big cats, which has so far slowed down the weight gain.

Deleted
    Cats rule!

Deleted
    Dogs shouldn't be kept as pets anyway. Companions, yes. Working animals, yes. Pets? No. If the only point of your dog is for you to cuddle with it, then you shouldn't have a dog. If you think "taking out the dog" is a chore, then you shouldn't have a dog.

However, if you keep a pet of any kind, the fact that you're keeping a pet makes you responsible for it's well-being.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think a fat pet is bad. Pets that are morbidly obese are bad, but a pet with a little bit of weight on it? Please. So the guy has one too many treats.

My dog is old and doesn't like to go on as many walks as he used to, so he's started to put on a little weight (he also doesn't eat as much as he used to. :/)

But my cat is a 22 lbs animal. We feed him twice a day - ONE scoop of adult diet food each time. He is an extremely active outdoor cat, and when he's inside, he gets plenty of use with his catnip mice and laser pointer. He's been at a steady 22 for nearly 7 years now - the cat just WILL NOT drop the weight, and honestly, the vet sees no problem with it. The only thing he doesn't do is lick his ass, and that's what a groomer is for. That said, he (may?) have maine coon in him, which is a large cat breed, but we have no idea as he was an "unofficial" rescue. (We found him dying in a trailer park.)

So I've got two pets who are kinda fat, but neither of them has trouble standing, jumping, or walking. The dog shakes now, but again - he's 11. And they're both active.

Sometimes stuff is just fat.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Overfeeding a pet is very bad for it, but it is not abuse. Overfeeding doesn't cause the pet to feel stressed or scared, doesn't traumatize it, doesn't give it behavioral problems. The pet would still feel loved and be happy (except for those pesky health problems).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    When a homeless person is rambling in the streets, it's better to ignore them than argue with them. On the internets it's clearly better to spend an entire week proving them wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    Overfeeding a pet is very bad for it, but it is not abuse. Overfeeding doesn't cause the pet to feel stressed or scared, doesn't traumatize it, doesn't give it behavioral problems. The pet would still feel loved and be happy (except for those pesky health problems).
    Why isn't it abuse? Unlike a human that can make a choice later on to reduce their weight, a dog doesn't have the same freedom of choice.

I have a fat cat that we've put on a diet. We've owned a bunch of different cats (8 or so, most died of cancer or old age) and none of them but this cat got fat. Before, we would always refill their food if it got low/empty and they would regulate their own food intake perfectly fine. This fat cat will eat way too much if we do that. Luckily, she doesn't seem to like wet cat food, so we can feed her and the other cat separately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why isn't it abuse? Unlike a human that can make a choice later on to reduce their weight, a dog doesn't have the same freedom of choice.
    Do you feel that feeding children bad food is abuse?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm the same. I feel bad and then get a bit annoyed by the human(s). The only fat pets I know of also have fat or sloppy owners, though, so the pet's condition doesn't surprise me. I live like 10 seconds from a park where lots of dog walkers go and there's this one guy I've seen out for the past few weeks who is walking a fat dog. That makes me happy (that he seems to be doing something about his dog's health). Of course he could be feeding his dog McDonalds after every walk so who knows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarky View Post
    Well what if the queue pops up while they're busy? Derp.
    i just find it strange is all. it'd be good if you could be in a game queue and as you exercise you work your way through a queue, so when you get home you can insta pop. win/win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavol View Post
    Of course he could be feeding his dog McDonalds after every walk so who knows.
    hopefully noone does that!
    Hi

My dog and two cats are treated like royalty and eat whatever they please, yet they are not fat because the cats are always very active and I go out for a jog with the dog every morning and evening.

I think fat animals are cute especially dog lol.

Deleted
    Don't judge too easily. Our dog ate the amounts indicated by our local vet, got no scraps from the table, did not ravage our fridge, received a normal amount of treats, and he got a healthy 1h daily walk in the afternoon, and 2 short 20m walks on waking up and going to bed, and he was still morbidly overweight...

...until a second opinion from another vet diagnosed a thyroid problem which was 'fixed' with life-long medication. Our Beagle is 10yo now, at his desired weight and still as healthy as could possibly be. The old fart (literally) sleeps during most of the day, but even he can enjoy his retirement.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-07-26 at 09:07 PM.

I have a cat who's fat. He eats healthy, is the only cat in the house who likes to play with toys, and generally is very active compared to the others. He's just a plump little shit.

I don't give a fuck if you think that him being fat is "abuse". The vet says he's plenty fine, and that's all that matters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivana View Post
    Some dogs will eat and eat and eat until they are sick. Others will eat just enough and come back for whatever is left later on.
    Also some dogs need more exercise than others depending on breed and age, mix that with the dogs temperament to food and things are not as simple as you make out.

My cats though will nibble at their food constantly all day and night and vary rarely will they actually 'ask' for more food if we don't notice their bowls are running low.
    I think its abusive to have Huskeys if you dont ride a sled or something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    I think its abusive to have Huskeys if you dont ride a sled or something.
    That's your opinion of course. Just as I think that is a downright dense statement. You can take care of Huskeys just fine without being a Norwegian dog sled racer.

I have 2 cats, so I ALWAYS have food in there, and they can graze when they want. If it is empty, they tell me, but I dont have a schedule. My cat is a little large, but that is not because of abuse.
    Last edited by Avada Kedavra; 2013-07-26 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling ofc
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking