Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuyuli View Post
    I never missed the old System, the new one feels superiour but it also has it's flaws for me.

Place Skill into your actionbar, change the talent.. and the skill is now unusable instead of it being replaced by the new skill.. there is no macro condition either to fix this (or is there now? im not playing since 5.2), very annoying. It's also a bit annoying to have 2 Passives and 1 Active skill in a single tree line, instead of either 3 Passive/3 Active.
    That's a problem of refining the new system, which is miles better than the old regardless of what some who like to get that cookie every 3 levels (who actually levels like that anymore?) think.

Quote Originally Posted by Creations View Post
    I did, I miss putting half points in one tree, then the other half in the other. I have no idea why blizzard assumed EVERYONE looked up their talents. That wasn't true at all, and it removed the fun out of leveling. I remember saying "Yes, I leveled" Then i'd go straight to my talent tree. Now we get talents every 15 levels, which is quite ridiculous.
    The hybrid builds were simply broken, since they were never intended.
    If the end-talent of a tree could simply be ignored or was not as desirable as something half-way or a quarter of the way down another then it was simply wrong and not fulfilling its purpose.

There were very few good valid builds, maybe as few as just 1 with a few points free to spend.
    More numbers did not mean more choice, and getting incremental improvements to effects which generally sucked until they were maxed out was simply boring.
    Getting something every level was what people focused on, with no consideration for most of it being utter rubbish.
    Over half of the points received were dumped into slight improvements which meant that really 1 level gain was meaningless on its own, building towards often a static increase equal in interest to the static stats buff that came from being a level higher.
    Oh look I gain 1% more physical damage, oh look I gain more strength, stamina etc. Not really much difference.

There is room for per-level rewards, but not in the talents.

The current system suffers due to the options themselves being awful, not the framework being broken.
    Some being mandatory, some simply sucking.
    That is what needs changed.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-07-27 at 12:30 AM.

That i do, every once in a while i boot up Rift just so i can play with their talent trees.

The new talent tree is OK, but I think it has a few major flaws:

1. You get a talent point every 15th level. That is ridiculous.
    2. Some of the talent trees are very, VERY uninspired and bland.
    2. There are way too few talents, which kind of ties into point number 1.

As it is now, it's not interesting at all. I would like to see way more talents, preferably a lot more passives and not just actives. Also, unique trees for each spec would be awesome, but I doubt it'll ever happen. The concept of this new talent tree is great, but in its current state I'd actually prefer to just go back to the old one.
    Last edited by Coronius; 2013-07-27 at 12:36 AM.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Soratrox View Post
    This is pretty much just opinion.
    The title of the thread is "Do you miss the old talent trees". Of course what I said is my opinion. That is what was asked for but thanks for pointing that out.

Yes I agree that just a 1% increase in a passive stat is nothing to celebrate but it was better than nothing. Plus you did get the choice of where to spend that 1 point, so again you got some sort of reward. At max level it didnt really make much difference since all specs were pretty much theorycrafted to find the best layout of talents, but Ill ask you to look at the mage lvl 90 talents if you believe these talents are "interesting". I hate that tier so much lol
    Last edited by Sills; 2013-07-27 at 12:34 AM.

Yes and no. I miss them because I took a long time leveling back in TBC so I could freely put talents where I wanted. It was during a time where I was just getting into MMOs and such.
    At the same time I like the new talent trees because I feel like I have a choice end game and that each talent actually give me a ability (as a warlock).
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Yes, considering we no longer have a 'talent system'. Just a predetermined spec with a short list of abilities you choose.

Deleted
    The talent tree had come to a point where only one build (or so) was good per spec (during Wrath) so I don't miss it at all. Yet I've heard Vanilla one was much harder and I think it would be an improvement to have it back. Rift is known for having something quite similar too and I find such a system amazing but the problem is that Blizz would always make one build stronger thus making the other ones useless so having it or what we have now is exactly the same. In my humble opinion, they are not aiming at a public that would want to work on their spec and even if they would, I'm not sure they would be able to make up an interesting talent tree.

Well that's for PvE at least, it probably is different from a PvP point of view.

No it was terrible. People seem to think having more points to spend was somehow fun. Thats amusing considering most of them were used on filler talents.

The current system isn't perfect but its certainly an improvement. You only get whats important. No more useless fillers.

The old talent trees were meaningless, the new ones are "meh". So I prefer the new ones.

Not at all. New talents are a lot more fun imo.

Deleted
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    No it was terrible. People seem to think having more points to spend was somehow fun. Thats amusing considering most of them were used on filler talents.

The current system isn't perfect but its certainly an improvement. You only get whats important. No more useless fillers.
    yeah i don't understand it too much. sure maybe it was fun while leveling, but not that fun honestly, and leveling isn't what the game is based around. at max level, the level that matters the talents were boring and there really was no choice. really my only real complaint about the current ones is there is not enough tiers, make it a talent every 5/10 levels and its perfect for me.
    though any talent system is going to have "best choices", the current system has less though i find, allows me a bit more customisation of what is the better talent to pick.
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    while fewer in choice i find the new system so much better then the old one.

i admit i miss the old 1 point per level system, but now atleast at a certain level you just get the bonus, instead of slowly building it up one point at a time.
    which was just slow and tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Its an ABC choice you cant really get wrong now. No fun in talents anymore. People just like to assume things, like they did with that whole cookie cutter nonsense.
    I wouldn't call having my mana cost of a spell decreased by 1% every level for 5 levels particularly fun

I don't like talents with ranks. I prefer things you either have or don't have. So I don't miss the old talent system, but I think the current one could be altered to be a bit more interesting.

I miss the old talent system, but not the old talent trees.

In other words, the idea of trees with lots of points that let you customize your character is great. Blizzard's version of customization was "do it right or suck." There were a few very rare very niche cases in which the cookie cutter (or something within a point or two of the cookie cutter) were better, but those were mostly limited to soloing situations, and even then only for certain classes (and ironically, those cases, such as a warrior dipping into prot for defensive bonuses and fury for bloodthirst, were some of the situations Blizzard specifically wanted to get rid of).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I wouldnt call getting a passive after 15 levels or a cc after 30 fun either.
    but once your max level, the rate at which you get them doesn't matter. but i agree they could do with more tiers, but i hope wow never goes back to the old system, they were terrible, i like the choices to be more interesting even if there is less. quality over quantity here!
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    I wouldn't call having my mana cost of a spell decreased by 1% every level for 5 levels particularly fun
    Whaaaaa that shit was intense. I don't miss the old talents I never changed them except for patches reset my talents. Now I switch talents depending on the fight. Though I will say some classes have much less choice then others, at least for PvP.

Not really as much were just passives and tbh was no real choice (altho some classes/specs still lack choice). What i do miss tho is getting something each level or even every 2nd level. Was leveling a mistweaver monk recently and realised there was a 7-9 level gap between learning any new skills/passives....