Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Brighton man faces jail for calling Hove MP Mike Weatherley 'coward'

Link

A university lecturer could be sent to prison for calling a city MP a “coward”.

Alex Cline faces a two-day trial after a court heard Hove MP Mike Weatherley complained to police about the name-calling in November.

The incident took place during a protest at the University of Sussex.

At the time, Mr Weatherley complained he and his staff had been pelted with rocks by “anarchists” before a planned debate on anti-squatting laws.

But during yesterday's hearing, Brighton Magistrates Court heard the only person charged with any offence was Mr Cline, for calling the MP a “coward”.

The 25-year-old faces one count of 'using threatening/abusive/insulting words/behaviour to cause harassment/alarm/distress'.

He could be handed a maximum penalty of six months imprisonment, a fine of £5,000 or both.

Mr Cline denies harassing the MP or causing him alarm and distress.
    The UK continues on its downward spiral against free speech in favour of protecting feelies.

Deleted
    What an absolute disgrace, free speech my ass.

Wow how pathetic of a man do you have to be to cry to the police if someone calls you a name? Why on Earth did he go into Politics..

Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    Wow how pathetic of a man do you have to be to cry to the police if someone calls you a name? Why on Earth did he go into Politics..
    Especially something like coward. Did that harass, alarm, or distress him? Lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    using threatening/abusive/insulting words/behaviour to cause harassment/alarm/distress'.

Pretty sure this applies to death threats or taunting about a terminally ill grandma or something. Not "coward".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    Careful, you might get fined too!

Sopa prism no rights on the internet etc

Confused why the rock throwing didn't get more punishment instead

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like the guy was right about the coward.

Deleted
    Did everyone miss the part where he was throwing rocks at the politician?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Did everyone miss the part where he was throwing rocks at the politician?
    If he did that himself, he is not reportedly being charged for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    If he did that himself, he is not reportedly being charged for it.
    Mr Weatherley said: “I have given statements to Sussex Police relating to the way in which my staff and I were physically assaulted at Sussex University. I have faith in the police and have no doubt that those responsible will be held to account in due course.”

I think this paper is misleading a few people.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-20330788

Here is a slightly different twist to the story, I cannot say I have much sympathy for "pro squatters rights" campaigners, especially when they turn violent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Mr Weatherley said: “I have given statements to Sussex Police relating to the way in which my staff and I were physically assaulted at Sussex University. I have faith in the police and have no doubt that those responsible will be held to account in due course.”

I think this paper is misleading a few people.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-20330788

Here is a slightly different twist to the story, I cannot say I have much sympathy for "pro squatters rights" campaigners, especially when they turn violent.
    Ah, so it seems this website is pulling the "coward" claim from nowhere?

10+ Year Old Account
    You have the right to "Free Speech", as long as it doesn't offend any government agency, the president, famous people, most politicians, the media, any Democrats, or any person in general that maybe think differently. You're also not allow your own opinion on gay marriage, socialized medicare, gun control, immigration, whistle blowers, infringement of privacy, the "War of Terror", or the trillions of debt the government signed you onto without your say. Everything must be Politically Correct, and individuality and free thought is now considered an act of terror. Welcome, and we hope you enjoy you're stay here at the New World Order. Its going to be a while.
    Last edited by Synros; 2013-07-27 at 10:59 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    Ah, so it seems this website is pulling the "coward" claim from nowhere?
    It may be true, but I trust the BBC a little more than I do some local paper. Also with websites like this existing.....

http://ismikeweatherleydeadyet.co.uk/

I am skeptical, it is obvious people are out to get him in any way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    And there goes another Amendment....
    Amendment to what? I didn't know that Britain had the same full blanket rights to free speech that the US does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    And there goes another Amendment....
    I didn't realize American law applied to england as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    Amendment to what? I didn't know that Britain had the same full blanket rights to free speech that the US does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    I didn't realize American law applied to england as well.
    They do now, since 3:48 PST...

10+ Year Old Account
    What a load of sensationalist bollocks, the CPS wouldn't prosecute him for just calling someone a 'coward'.

"He called me a nasty name .... WHAAAAAA!"

This is a disgrace to the United Kingdom, and I hope it is thrown out, and the MP is dismissed for being a right shit dick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow... just wow.

Can we get a movement together to call this guy up over and over and call him things 10 times worse at precisely 10 minute intervals? Maybe he wants to know what being a little bitch feels like.

...Because he is. A little bitch. We'd be calling him precisely what he is.
    Who's basically crying 'mum mum, they called me a bad name! Tell them off!'

Also those with an ounce of sense; Brighton = In England. No 'Free Speech law, rights or blarh blarh' here.
    HOWEVER, this does not excuse an abuse of power in such a wretched fashion.

I get called worse on the street by random yobsters, are you seriously telling me the courts would listen to me for one moment if I told them 'hey this asshole in a hoodie yelled out 'slag' when I refused to stop when he catcalled me'. Sue pls, 5000 quid. They'd laugh me out of the front door.

But because a politician has his widdle feelings hurt, this guy could face a fine and JAIL TIME? Get out. Any judge worth their salt will dismiss this joke and save their ass from being booted out of any credible circles in a heartbeat.

Fair enough if there was a proper reason for contention between these two parties but I see none. You wanna hear about harassment? I'll tell this douche some stories.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    "He called me a nasty name .... WHAAAAAA!"

This is a disgrace to the United Kingdom, and I hope it is thrown out, and the MP is dismissed for being a right shit dick.
    Read the BBC article I posted before jumping to conclusions, they pelted his team with rocks and one person was injured, the guy arrested was a university professor that arranged the whole attack.