Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

How Goldman Sachs schemed your money out of... Everything?

As per typical, when it's actually big things negatively affecting everyone the bought out mainstream media rarely dares to poke it with even a long pole. Lets white-wash shit up false scandals and concencrating on really damaging issues, such as whom some representative sent dick pictures!

http://www.businessinsider.com/goldm...um-scam-2013-7

According to Kocieniewski, a Goldman Sachs-owned company has been involved in an elaborate plan to move around aluminum in a way that has inflated market prices. The report states that every time an American consumer buys a product containing aluminum, they pay a price that has been affected by this maneuver. Sources told The New York Times that in total the plan has cost American consumers more than $5 billion over the last three years,

Kocieniewski's investigation centers on Metro International Trade Services, an aluminum storage company that Goldman Sachs bought three years ago. According to the Times, since Goldman bought the company the average wait time at the storage facility has gone up more than 20-fold. As the wait times are longer, the companies' revenues for storing the aluminium are higher. This cost is reflected in the market price of aluminum.

Aluminum storage facilities are not allowed to mindlessly sit on aluminum — industry standards require them to move 3,000 tons of the metal every day. However, according to the Times, Metro International gets around this law by moving the metal between its own warehouses every day. One analyst estimated that around 90% of the metal moved each day went to another Goldman-owned warehouse.

The body that governs the industry has shown little interest in reforming the practice, Kocieniewski writes. This may be because the body — the London Metals Exchange — collects 1% of the rent from aluminum storage facilities. Limiting the amount of rent received would cost it millions.

This all makes for a somewhat absurd working environment. Workers told the Times that they'd routinely see the same drivers making three or four round trips a day. Some warehouses reportedly sat empty 12 or more hours a day, the Times reports, despite the huge backlog.

If the practice is as the Times describes it, it is very hard to see what value is given to society by the activity. A loose coalition of companies that use aluminium — including Boeing and Coca-Cola — have begun to put pressure on Goldman. However, the issue may go beyond aluminum — JP Morgan, Blackrock and Goldman have all been given approval by the SEC to buy a large amount of copper available on the market and stockpile it, Kocieniewski reports.

Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Wow, something needs to be done about that. I am going to be writing my Congressman. And I actually mean that; no sarcasm whatsoever. That's really fucking outrageous.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dictate the market, don't be dictated to by it.

Deleted
    This is entirely legal business practice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Placebo View Post
    In America, yes.

It's legal! Everything is alright now!
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Yes, legal, but is it ethical? Is it moral?

I'm not saying if it is or is not; I am only stating that this thread is not an argument about this practice's current legal status. The question is should it be made illegal? I can see strong arguments for both sides.

However, in this case, it is blatantly about organized market manipulation, creating an artificial cost to society in the form of wasted energy and time.
    Last edited by Frostea23; 2013-07-27 at 03:37 PM.
    Waste not, want not.

The Daily Show did a piece on this on Thursday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLKffO6Tpks
    It's legal because of a dumb loophole, like many things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostea23 View Post

I'm not saying if it is or is not; I am only stating the question people are asking themselves should this be legal? I can see strong arguments for both sides.
    The issue with that is, for the most part business doesn't care about ethics. Is it good? No, but it still doesn't care.

America's corruption runs deep.

If we allow it to, the market will self-regulate itself and we will enter a new age of prosperity for all.

/sarcasm.

Stuff like this goes to show how untrustworthy and irresponsible the financial sector is.

Surprise? You should have put theese people on the guillotine during the financial crisis. Nothing has been done to the derivatives market regulations either.

Im really getting tired of this shit. Everyone knows that the financial sector(Not only in US) operates in numerous immoral ways to the detriment of it´s own country and the entire world only to fill it´s own pockets.
    Last edited by Arlon; 2013-07-27 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostea23 View Post

I'm not saying if it is or is not; I am only stating that this thread is not an argument about this practice's current legal status. The question is should it be made illegal? I can see strong arguments for both sides.

However, in this case, it is blatantly about organized market manipulation, creating an artificial cost to society in the form of wasted energy and time.

I found the problem! Someone is looking for morality from a financial company.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldNSilence View Post
    America's corruption runs deep.
    If you think this is an isolated phenomenon confined to the US, I have to disappoint you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    And this is exactly why we need government poking its nose around in the market, to put an end to unethical business practises by companies.

Unless of course that government itself is unethical... hmm.

Deleted
    What is this about Golden Mansacks ?

Not surprised.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Unless of course that government itself is unethical... hmm.
    In a democracy, the populace has a big say in who is in government, and can throw out their unethical representatives. Remember, a government does not need to turn a profit to stay in business.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    In a democracy, the populace has a big say in who is in government, and can throw out their unethical representatives. Remember, a government does not need to turn a profit to stay in business.
    Bad luck we bribed already everybody you can vote for. http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/i...1008181204.jpg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    True, I mean just look how that PRISM defunding bill was voted in droves. PRISM is history now. Oh wait...it wasn't.