Thread: Do You Jog?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The term "jogger" is offensive to many a runner here in the states; I don't know about the stigma elsewhere.

I run 30+ miles a week, most weeks, although it's more difficult to get the mileage in during semesters.. I absolutely hated running in high school when I played football/basketball...that's how they punished you! But, I caught the bug when I was maybe 22-23 and can't stop now (I'm 25). I also regularly run 5/10K's - too much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Delrancho View Post
    The term "jogger" is offensive to many a runner here in the states; I don't know about the stigma elsewhere.

I run 30+ miles a week, most weeks, although it's more difficult to get the mileage in during semesters.. I absolutely hated running in high school when I played football/basketball...that's how they punished you! But, I caught the bug when I was maybe 22-23 and can't stop now (I'm 25). I also regularly run 5/10K's - too much fun!
    Hahah!

I caught the big early in my high school years. Our teams had a sort of rivalry, though it was easy for the track team - we won our meets a lot, and the football team was sort of a joke ("why go to a football game, they never win!"; seriously, they didn't win in my entire high school career).

In fact, after the teams got into a fight about which sport was harder (I'm of the "equally hard in different areas group," but tended to go the "my sport is your sport's punishment" route because the football players were largely - excuse my French here - cunts), they called us crazy. In response, we all wore morphsuits and painted our faces like the Joker and crashed the Homecoming game my senior year (ours wasn't on campus, as always *shakes fist*).

Good times =D

My lower body can't take the pounding from jogging. Instead I use a rowing machine. Since it is non-impact the only thing holding me back is my own fitness level/desire, not physical breakdown.

Deleted
    Non impact is a much better way to get in shape, I'd never jog for the sake of it, it's boring as hell!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muld77 View Post
    Non impact is a much better way to get in shape, I'd never jog for the sake of it, it's boring as hell!
    Yeah I find it very boring as well, however I do like bit of cycling (whether mountain or road) specially in a nice location where you see the nature (hills, mountains, forests, beaches, country side etc..).

Quote Originally Posted by muld77 View Post
    Non impact is a much better way to get in shape,
    Based on... what? If you're not overtraining, there's nothing particularly painful about running, and there's mountains of evidence for it improving lower body bone density, improving cartilage synthesis, and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Based on... what? If you're not overtraining, there's nothing particularly painful about running, and there's mountains of evidence for it improving lower body bone density, improving cartilage synthesis, and so on.
    I have recently heard that running impacts your knees/legs greatly damaging them in the long run (punlol).
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-09-18 at 02:09 AM.

I've heard a ton of things that aren't true. That's among them. Yes, there are injuries associated with running, including knee and ankle injuries, as there are injuries with any sport. That doesn't not suggest that there's a straightforward running=damaged knees relationship. As someone that's spent a lot of time dealing with knee problems, I can tell you I had a lot more trouble before I took up running.

Yes 3-5 mi a day. Weight training 2x-3x a week. Been a runner ever since high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    I stopped jogging / running when I was 21. I tried earlier this year to go for a jog but the pavement is just too hard on my knees. Now I cycle for extra cardio. When I feel like moving on the feet though I just hit up a hiking trail.
    Don't run on pavement, not good for your feet...track or trail, otherwise get an elliptical. Cycling is good.

I choose to not run!
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

I jog/run once a week, but I also do sprint drills (kinda counts?).

Only 4 miles tops though, after that the boredom starts setting in.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2013-09-18 at 08:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No I don't OP, in my opinion there are far better ways to get some exercise than pounding the pavement for mile after mile. I find it just too damn boring and it's not exactly great for you joints even with quality shoes/insoles. But some exercise is better than none, so good for you.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

I always ran abit, but mostly I did it alot since Januar. Helped getting a puls watch, and shoes. Was up running 10 KM quit often, with 2 partions inn local races.

...Since summer not so much. Mostly cause I've gotten up earliere, walk/stand abit more than Im used to, and just so tired inn the work days lately...I run 1-2 times a week only atm. Before I was useally up and running 15 KM/s week.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I love to run, but never find much consistency with my work schedule during the summer. Starting to pick up again here now that it's autumn, though, looking for some races in the area.

I actually just quit smoking just to get a healthier lifestyle and i really wanna start jogging! But seeing winter is coming, maybe its a bad time to start? I heard you can get asthma from running when its really cold outside :S

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily89 View Post
    I actually just quit smoking just to get a healthier lifestyle and i really wanna start jogging! But seeing winter is coming, maybe its a bad time to start? I heard you can get asthma from running when its really cold outside :S
    Just find a gym to use or an indoor track somewhere - my old high school has one which is where I go if it's too bad out, but normally I'm fine with whatevers outside (Upstate NY ain't got shit on my running skills :3). It's kind of tricky though, since said track isn't open on the weekends, so I have to plan my week a little.

It's not hard, just gotta prepare a little and plan for winter running being a bit more difficult.

And grats on quitting! Been trying to get my dad to quit for years, but to no avail (yet!).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily89 View Post
    Nobody develops asthma from running, those people you see gasping for breath after a run are usually just unfit that use asthma as an excuse.

Deleted
    Yes I do. Once/twice weekly around 6k. That's around my other pastimes of shooting/archery.

I used to do it every day before work. Too bad it only lasted two days.

Deleted
    when I can, but due to injuring my knee a few years back, I cant go nearly as far as I used to be able to as I have to stop if my knee starts playing up (really not worth pushing it an being in pain for a week or so and limping round!), so I mainly cycle now.
    I still use the treadmill in the gym as its sprung, but its ever so boring compared to outside training. I'm presently doing mainly weights and HIIT in the week, with longer cardio at weekends.