10+ Year Old Account

H87, B85 chipset overclocking about to get the axe.

Previously it was found that H87 and B85 motherboards could be modified to support 4670K CPU's and overclock them as a cheap alternative to Z87. Whether or not the boards ought to be by design aside, it looks like Intel noticed, and acted fairly quickly to fix it (or deny capability, rather).

I feel bad for anyone who bought a H87/B75 + 4670K and really didn't expect this to happen.

With regards to actually deploying the update, Intel can be expected to either push the “fix” to relevant motherboard vendors with instructions to release it as a BIOS update, or release it through a Windows Update under the tried and tested guise of a “stability update.”
    So you can either not update your BIOS, which doesn't seem TOO bad (unless they add some crippling aspect forcing you to) or turn off windows updates, if they 'disguise' it. I wasn't aware BIOS updates could be done via windows update.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Presumably the "windows update" variant would be along the lines of the AISuite BIOS update feature.

10+ Year Old Account
    release it through a Windows Update under the tried and tested guise of a “stability update.”

Yeah I can't possibly see how this might be abused one day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I feel bad for anyone who bought a H87/B75 + 4670K and really didn't expect this to happen.
    Those people would be pretty naive to think Intel wouldnt put a stop to this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Those people would be pretty naive to think Intel wouldnt put a stop to this.
    I also can't see a huge amount of people buying those boards to save $20-40 or whatever it is while aiming to overclock. I think it was more of an added bonus. Anyone that knows about this would probably be more interested in getting a motherboard meant for overclocking in the first place and knew the risk when buying H87/B85.

Deleted
    Can't you flash MB to older version?

Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    Can't you flash MB to older version?
    Usually you can, but if they make a future revision of the chipset incompatible with the old BIOS, you'll brick your board and the cheaper chipsets like H and B tend to not have the convenient bios recovery tools that the higher end Z chipset boards have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    release it through a Windows Update under the tried and tested guise of a “stability update.”

Yeah I can't possibly see how this might be abused one day.
    I have some doubts if Intel can persuade MS to distribute an "update" that could potentially brick your mobo if power went out or user forced shutdown at the right moment.