Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why dont we have mario/sonic type iconic characters anymore?

I was watching my son play sonic today, he is 8 and has asperger's syndrome. He LOVES Mario and Sonic. And I got to thinking, when I was his age I loved Mario and Sonic, and here 20 some odd years later my son loves the same characters. They are video game characters that stood the test of time, how pump out continuously successful sequels. To a lesser extent various Pokemon, Megaman and some others fit this bill as well. But I cant really think of any off the top of my head that were released in the last 10 years
    you are not your class,
    you are not how much gold you have in the bank
    you're not the mount you ride,
    you're not the contents of your bags,
    You're not your f***ing epics
    you're the all singing all dancing crap of the world....of warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Heartattaq View Post
    I was watching my son play sonic today, he is 8 and has asperger's syndrome. He LOVES Mario and Sonic. And I got to thinking, when I was his age I loved Mario and Sonic, and here 20 some odd years later my son loves the same characters. They are video game characters that stood the test of time, how pump out continuously successful sequels. To a lesser extent various Pokemon, Megaman and some others fit this bill as well. But I cant really think of any off the top of my head that were released in the last 10 years
    Crash Bandicoot?

Ratchet and Clank?

You are confusing "good characters" with "old characters" - The only reason Mario & Sonic are so iconic is because they are so old that many different generations have grown up with them and they are "kids games".

You grew up playing Mario and Sonic as a kid. They were your first encounter with video games as they are what you were introduced to. You now look back on them fondly because of that and that's the first kind of games kids get introduced to now so the cycle continues.

My Awesome Sig Made By Shyama - Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Slipper View Post
    Crash Bandicoot?

Ratchet and Clank?

You are confusing "good characters" with "old characters" - The only reason Mario & Sonic are so iconic is because they are so old that many different generations have grown up with them and they are "kids games".

You grew up playing Mario and Sonic as a kid. They were your first encounter with video games as they are what you were introduced to. You now look back on them fondly because of that and that's the first kind of games kids get introduced to now so the cycle continues.
    The fact that mario and sonic still sell and how much they are wanted shows they are good characters. Admitedly they are only good because the games are good.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account
    thing is none of the 3d sonic games were as good as the old 2d ones

Deleted
    Well the thing is, the characters you're mentioning are iconic because they've been around so long, across generations - not because the games that feature them today are innovative or even great gameplay, a lot of the more recent games from large franchies such as Mario and Sonic have not gained much critical favour - but are still popular because they're from such a well known franchise and format.

They were also created at a time when they were new, innovative and amazed us. It's a lot harder for a video game to do that now than in the 80s - creating an entire new franchise right now tends to pull on a wide range of influence from games already in existence - as you'd expect.

There are a LOT of games that have a successful franchise but whether or not they'll stand the test of time, well, we can't really say that yet but I doubt new franchises will ever be "iconic" in the way that Sonic and Mario are simply because of the era that they've been created in. There's no empty hole to fill anymore, if that makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    thing is none of the 3d sonic games were as good as the old 2d ones
    Sonic Adventure (1 and 2) are both very good games. I'd venture to say Sonic Adventure 2 is amazing.
    Hey everyone

The furry/mascot figure era was mostly a thing that peaked in the 90's. Every company needed their own little "official mascot". Konami had Sparkster, Capcom had Mega Man, Accolade had Bubsy, and then there were those promotional figures from non-video game companies like Cool Spot. This trend started winding down fast in the 00's, the last ones being rather futile attempts like Blinx from Microsoft, and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger from EA. That was around 2004 I think which was the final nail in the coffin.

Hell, does McDonald's even use their mascots anymore?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Gecko View Post
    The furry/mascot figure era was mostly a thing that peaked in the 90's. Every company needed their own little "official mascot". Konami had Sparkster, Capcom had Mega Man, Accolade had Bubsy, and then there were those promotional figures from non-video game companies like Cool Spot. This trend started winding down fast in the 00's, the last ones being rather futile attempts like Blinx from Microsoft, and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger from EA. That was around 2004 I think which was the final nail in the coffin.

Well you could say Assassins Creed is the official mascot of Ubisoft meaning the Assassin is the mascot.
    Hey everyone

Master Chief has become rather iconic and Solid Snake, those are the first two that pop into my head.

Deleted
    The Freeman!

Deleted
    There are a lot of iconic characters. Mario and Sonic are just really old iconic characters, same with Link, Yoshi, Samus, etc.

Some ''newer'' iconic characters could be like, Sora from Kingdom Hearts, Master Chief from Halo, Gordon Freeman from Half-life, and a lot more, just to name a few.

Wow... I'm glad I'm not the only one who still remembers the short-lived "Mascot Wars" during the 16 bit era. ^_^

Also, lets not forget that the 8-bit generation you really couldn't do good character design unless you went cartoony. Sure, Simon Belmont and Bionic Commando are identifiable, but that is mostly due to the game design - not their character design. You couldn't identify/design a piece of art depicting Simon Belmont unless you have the whip in his hand as he himself has nothing "Defining" about him physically. Samus is also a great example of merging the two. They didn't just make her a "girl" - but they made her a straight bi-colored armored suit with large flat pieces of metal that's easy to identify via 8-Bit graphics.

Also consider that everything back then was aimed squarely at kids. Particularly Nintendo - which back then enforced VERY strict pro-family/anti-visual violence restrictions.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-07-30 at 03:13 PM.

I miss Banjo and Kazooie.

Fuck you microsoft

/cry

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you could say Assassins Creed is the official mascot of Ubisoft meaning the Assassin is the mascot.
    Rayman is disappointed in you.

Master Chief!

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    Rayman is disappointed in you.
    Ezio is much bigger than Rayman.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipper View Post
    Don't confuse games that are able to be played by both adults and children to just be "kids games". Mario is well known because it was a HUGE deal, do you really think it's just remembered for being old? Then why aren't many upon many Mario knock offs just as famous and long running?

Mario is so well known because Nintendo made his franchise diverse. Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Mario Party, Mario Tennis (other Mario sports games too).

Not only that but because Mario Bros was such an enormous huge deal back when it was released. That's why it's remembered fondly. It introduced a new avenue for gaming as a whole, it helped changed things in the industry.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2013-07-31 at 03:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so, although Ronald's likeness is used in their "Dispose responsibly" symbol. Burger King's King was retired a while ago, same with the Taco Bell chihuahua, and Jared Fogle is no longer the sole spokesperson for Subway. The only fast food restaurants I seem to see with their mascots is Jack from Jack in the Box and the Colonel for KFC.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2013-07-31 at 05:32 AM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Lol. Nintendo is still milking all their franchises. It's all they have.

Fastforward and we will have Mario 64. Not the Nintendo 64 release but actually the 64th release.
    You know why? Because Nintendo does what most can't, they still make phenomenal games after their series passed a certain mark. And people enjoy the games they make.

Just look at Sonic in comparison to most of Nintendo's long running franchises.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isaac, from Binding of Isaac!
    "Brevity is...wit"