Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Don't forget that we should be a Christian nation.
    Just because the people who founded our country believed in God doesn't mean we have to today. It would be great if we could just take the morals and sense of being a good person from religion and throw away all the other mindless crap like the laws of religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficus View Post
    Just to clarify...

If it contradicts your views = anecdotal.

If it supports your views = proven fact.

Interesting. Not surprising...just interesting.
    Do you know the definition of an anecdote?

So that whole article and it doesn't explain what obamas plan for jobs is. Obamas past job stimulous plans have all been steaming piles of disaster. I used to be a republican but I could care less about them now, I despise democrats though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eezagoode View Post
    its funny because most people in the rest of the world really cant understand how anyone would ever vote republican. I was working in Chicago last year and told a uni professor that I would really like to have a discussion with an intelligent republican so I could try to understand their stance on abortion / being gay / the usual equalities that the rest of the western world take for granted.

He just laughed at me "good luck in finding one!"
    I'm not a republican nor going to claim I'm "smart" but its simple for me.

1) abortion: its killing an unborn child - I do not condone it but I understand sometimes it is for the best.

2) gay: its not normal and I dislike the idea of kids being adopted by gays but I hate the idea of kids sitting in orphanages so I'm okay with it. Gay marriage should not be a problem and honestly I'm tired of hearing about it. Hurry up and make that shit legal ffs.

3) dont understand this one, seems you just added it for fluff cause you ran out of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Anecdotes make the plurality?

http://www.povertyusa.org/the-state-...ty-map-state/#

Shall I move onto contributions to the federal government next?
    Question, I'm colorblind and that map is terrible for me to look at. Where does Ohio fall on that level?
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

that seems to be the GOP's plan, make government look ineffective and have people voted in who want to curtail it. Dems are along to help their rich donors (the GOP as well) but at the least give them credit for not being so blatantly obstructionist as the GOP in the house is. a poll said 56-7% of people would replace EVERY member of congress. but these people still get voted in, how? gerrymander the living fuck out of their districts.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Question, I'm colorblind and that map is terrible for me to look at. Where does Ohio fall on that level?
    15-17%

10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    So that whole article and it doesn't explain what obamas plan for jobs is. Obamas past job stimulous plans have all been steaming piles of disaster. I used to be a republican but I could care less about them now, I despise democrats though.
    Thought it was to get more people in construction and improving our infrastructure, which I wholeheartedly support since it needs to be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Ohio
    State Ranking / Ranking estatal de la pobreza: 21
    Overall Poverty Rate / Tasa de pobreza general: 16.4
    Deep Poverty Rate / Tasa de pobreza extrema: 7.6%
    Child Poverty Rate (under 17) / Tasa de pobreza infantil: 24.2%
    Senior Poverty Rate (65+) / Tasa de pobreza de los mayores de edad: 7.7%
    Poverty Rate for People with Disabilities / Tasa de pobreza de los discapacitados: 24.2%
    Poverty Rate for Women / Tasa de pobreza de las mujeres: 17.7%
    Poverty Rate for Men / Tasa de pobreza de varones: 15.1%
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Neromius View Post
    Just because the people who founded our country believed in God doesn't mean we have to today. It would be great if we could just take the morals and sense of being a good person from religion and throw away all the other mindless crap like the laws of religion.
    Well its a slippery slope when you start changing an unchangeable contract. What if 20 yrs from now people vote slavery back in because they feel their new way of thinking is better?.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficus View Post
    Just to clarify...

If it contradicts your views = anecdotal.

If it supports your views = proven fact.

Interesting. Not surprising...just interesting.
    So one city that's not doing well, vs pretty much every state.

It's not a matter of city vs city.

It's a SINGLE example that's the exception to a rule.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Self deportation and state-sponsored deportation. No amnesty.
    Oh then I totally agree with them on that issue. As a legal immigrant myself that had to pay money and did it the right way I have huge disdain for the illegals. Maybe if you had to jump the hurdles I did you would feel the same way. Besides didn't USA have amnesty before in 1986? Sounds silly to do it again. What every 25 years or so when people forget just open the flood gates eh?

Quote Originally Posted by smendou View Post
    Well, being a Mormon probably had more to do with it sadly. Live by the religious right, die by the religious right or some such. Independents came out pretty strong for Romney if I am remembering the numbers properly, you just had a fair bit of the base sit it out. Same on the Dem side though. Obama was down what? 8 million from 08?

Sadly, one thing that article mentions that does need to happen is a re-write of the tax code. Unfortunately, it'll never happen. Both parties like playing favorites with their own special interests far too much to ever allow a simpler tax code to be put into place.
    I think to be more accurate we need to discuss things in terms of moderates. In recent years people have been more inclined to label themselves an "independent" due to their unhappiness with one party or the other. People don't like to be associated with unpopular things. If the popularity of the parties were to increase, you'll say more people identifying themselves with a party. The base turnout were smaller for many reasons, one of them being the bases themselves shrunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    that seems to be the GOP's plan, make government look ineffective and have people voted in who want to curtail it. Dems are along to help their rich donors (the GOP as well) but at the least give them credit for not being so blatantly obstructionist as the GOP in the house is. a poll said 56-7% of people would replace EVERY member of congress. but these people still get voted in, how? gerrymander the living fuck out of their districts.
    I think it is more that people hate congress as an institution, but can be rather fond of their congressman. It's the other idiots that are ruining it. Personally, I just wish they'd throw some term limits on all of em. They might actually do what they were sent to Washington to do if they weren't spending half their term campaigning for the next.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Well its a slippery slope when you start changing an unchangeable contract. What if 20 yrs from now people vote slavery back in because they feel their new way of thinking is better?.
    what unchangeable contract? The Constitution (which IS changeable)?

its more than simply voting stuff in btw. The courts have to uphold it, and in terms fo amendments, 3/4 of the states have to approve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that why poverty is lower in blue states on average?

Or could it be the higher poverty in red states means they contribute far less?
    I'd say it's far far more complex than who is running the state today, as many of the economic issues date much further back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I think Futurama said it well... "but someday I might be rich. And then people like me better watch their step"
    Haha, yea that episode is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well when you simplify it as simply "goldfish, psh. Bunch of them following colors" It does come off as pretty...silly.

Then if you read the article, you should know Rand Paul was waaaay off base.
    Pretty sure the shrimp on a treadmill under water had more potential than this study.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Ohio
    State Ranking / Ranking estatal de la pobreza: 21
    Overall Poverty Rate / Tasa de pobreza general: 16.4
    Deep Poverty Rate / Tasa de pobreza extrema: 7.6%
    Child Poverty Rate (under 17) / Tasa de pobreza infantil: 24.2%
    Senior Poverty Rate (65+) / Tasa de pobreza de los mayores de edad: 7.7%
    Poverty Rate for People with Disabilities / Tasa de pobreza de los discapacitados: 24.2%
    Poverty Rate for Women / Tasa de pobreza de las mujeres: 17.7%
    Poverty Rate for Men / Tasa de pobreza de varones: 15.1%
    Haha, I'm at work so I didn't click on the state. I feel stupid now, thanks though
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Do you know the definition of an anecdote?
    I guess some rigorous scientific examination will change the facts that Detroit is bankrupt and has been "led" by the dems for 60 years. Mhmmm. Sure. Sure.

If your point is that the political party in power has no affect on the financial health of an area...well...

Just hang in there chief.