Page 1 of 33
... LastLast

Ark. district arming more than 20 teachers, staff

http://news.yahoo.com/ark-district-a...070909074.html

I think this is the right thing to do. Locking doors and turning off lights won't help much. Thoughts?

Only if the ones being armed undergo lots of psychological evaluation first. I've had teachers in middle and high school where, if they had guns I wouldn't walk within 10 miles of those schools. Teachers go through much more stress than your average student, and if they can't handle the heat I sure as hell don't want them with weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Armed security guards, yes. Armed teachers, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    What's the difference? Being a "security guard" doesn't make someone any more or less susceptible to going postal due to stress/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    This would be better, but I also have no problem with teachers who know how to handle a gun being allowed to have one. Many schools around where I live have a resource officer, but one person can hardly protect the whole school.

Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    What's the difference? Being a "security guard" doesn't make someone any more or less susceptible to going postal due to stress/whatever.
    I assume a security guard would be trained on when and how to use their weapon and when not to, and suspicious things to look for. A teacher is trained to teach.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not just arm the students? Seems unfair that they're at the mercy of a teacher who may or may not shoot them when they're completely defenseless.

Yeah, this is going to end real well.

The difference is level of interaction with students. I don't think I would have felt great knowing the teacher was packing heat when I was in school. Though, disciplinary issues might decrease though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yeah, this is going to end real well.
    Clearly the answer to gun violence is MOAR GUNS!
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    So now people know a location that there are a whole host of guns to be stolen... a location that goes unguarded at night and over summer, spring, and winter breaks?

Great.

I also can't wait to hear rationalization when a kid manages to get one of these guns, or a teacher accidentally shoots a student. I guess those are just the "necessary risks" in keeping guns unregulated?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So now people know a location that there are a whole host of guns to be stolen... a location that goes unguarded at night and over summer, spring, and winter breaks?

Great.

I also can't wait to hear rationalization when a kid manages to get one of these guns, or a teacher accidentally shoots a student. I guess those are just the "necessary risks" when it comes to keeping guns unregulated?
    He was coming right for me! He had 3 freshly sharpened pencils in one hand!

10+ Year Old Account
    Job qualifications and responsibilities. I'd rather have a trained guard guarding children with a gun than a teacher trained to teach guarding children with a gun. I know a teacher can be trained to use a gun and how to act during a situation, but their primary role in schools is to teach. I'd rather it stay like that and have someone who's primary role is to guard guard.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Why not just arm the students? Seems unfair that they're at the mercy of a teacher who may or may not shoot them when they're completely defenseless.
    Probably because students aren't 18 which has the obvious problem of children being dumbasses.

I dunno whether giving teachers guns is the best solution but I think it's better than no solution at all. I'm assuming they're being given proper weapons training and having some pretty thorough background/brain checks.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

True but it at least implies a higher standard of training and familiarity with weapons and situations where they may need to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogmanlolz View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/ark-district-a...070909074.html

I think this is the right thing to do. Locking doors and turning off lights won't help much. Thoughts?
    Actually I'd trust metal doors and bullet proof glass far more when it comes to stopping a bullet than a math teacher with a 9mm.

Places of learning shouldn't be rocking firearms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I dunno whether giving teachers guns is the best solution but I think it's better than no solution at all. I'm assuming they're being given proper weapons training and having some pretty thorough background/brain checks.
    Well, people have already failed in providing ANY adequate solution when they say "well, people are going to try and murder us with guns" as the status quo that needs to be adjusted to, rather than the god damn problem itself.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Long as they are trained on how to use the gun and can pull the trigger at the time needed (hopefully that never has to happen) I have no problem.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

I went to school in Arkansas for 2 years...and this scares me.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well, people have already failed in providing ANY adequate solution when they say "well, people are going to try and murder us with guns" as the status quo that needs to be adjusted to, rather than the god damn problem itself.
    Blah blah criminals going to get guns anyway, blah blah give the good guys guns, blah blah.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.