10+ Year Old Account

Which would perform better for WoW?

Hey guys, so I made some hardware changes recently, assuming it would make WoW run a little better. I won't go into details but I had some issues with hard drives and stuff but I've got all that sorted now.

I've reinstalled WoW and played it and was confused at performance issues. I don't remember if it's the same or better than what I was on with my old hardware.

What I have now is a Phenom X4 810 CPU at 2.6ghz.
    What I USED to have was a Intel Core Duo E8600 at 3.33ghz.

The hardware that has changed the same include
    6gbs of DDR2 RAM
    Radeon HD 4870 GPU

Not sure if anything else is necessary to performance.

Does anyone know if it was worth it changing processors?

10+ Year Old Account
    The E8600 will be better with WoW, particularly in raids. Not by a LOT, but better.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Sheafie View Post
    Does anyone know if it was worth it changing processors?
    No. Five years old Intel C2D E8600 runs WoW and all other MMORPGs faster than four years old AMD Phenom x4 810. You switched from the fastest Intel dualcore into slowest AMD quadcore of roughly equal age, and MMOs don't care about number of cores as much as raw processing speed.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The E8600 will be better with WoW, particularly in raids. Not by a LOT, but better.
    Dunno how much it shows in reality, but Anandtech's benchmark puts single core performance (Cinebench r10) of E8600 about 30% higher so it is quite a lot better. Phenom x4 800 series are faulty x4 900 chips with gimped cache.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-07-31 at 07:22 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Dunno how much it shows in reality
    I based it off this which benchmarks 'general' gaming. So whatever is equal here, the intel will be better with WoW, effectively.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    What if I were to overclock the Phenom by a large margin? I know it can handle quite a bit according to my technician.

Thread moved to sub-forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Between the two, the C2D should perform better because of its higher clock-speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would help some. But the 8600 could be OC'd as well. But you have what you have so... get some good cooling and crank it up (after doing some research on how, and how much)