Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

[Insert nation] why do people do it?

I've always wondered why people put their country designation in their names gaming, like [FR], [SWE], [RUS] and whatever.

Can someone explain it to me why people do that? Because I don't understand why it matters, at all.

So that other people know where they're from. What kind of question is this?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's so they can identify one another. We don't have to do it in English speaking countries because we dominate the interwebz. But say you're native language is French, and you'd like to play with other people who speak French, you tag yourself [FR] so other French people notice you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    It's so they can identify one another. We don't have to do it in English speaking countries because we dominate the interwebz. But say you're native language is French, and you'd like to play with other people who speak French, you tag yourself [FR] so other French people notice you.
    That's not it, Danish speak English just fine and there are players named BlahblahDK everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    That's not it, Danish speak English just fine and there are players named BlahblahDK everywhere.
    Maybe they just enjoy associating with other Danish players?

It could be some odd form of nationalism, but most of those people hate any form of national pride. Claim to, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    Idd. Seen it for like 10 years online by now, and you can be sure you can talk english with any remotely schooled danish people now days, maybe below age 60.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    mostly non-english speaking countries (russians on top) use nation tags, so people with a different language don't speak to them (because they don't understand english anyway)

I want guilds/communities to do that. So I'm aware which guilds are BR so I can avoid them like the plague.

Because it identifies them, maybe they want to show which country they come from, much the same as you like to have a specific type of avatar.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    But that can't be it, I see a lot of englishspeaking countries using their country designations in their names. Nor do these people using the country designations communicate with others with the same ones, I mean it, I rarely see them communicate at all :P

Deleted
    You are going to give yourself an aneurysm trying to figure out why human beings do things :P It could be any number of the above-stated reasons or something else entirely, varying for each and every person who does it :P