View Poll Results: Should my meal be free?

Voters
165. This poll is closed
  • Yes

20 12.12%
  • No

145 87.88%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Coworker Lunch etiquette

So we decided on a place for lunch at work. I mistakenly said I had a coupon for a buy one get one. All of a sudden my coworker decided that the cost will be split and I do not get my free meal.

I said no. He called BS.

Should the lunch cost be split in because of the buy 1 get one coupon? Or should I get my lunch for free?

Split the cost.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    i'd split the cost, use to do this a lot in College at subway. people always giving out buy one get one free vouchers, like 20 a day you'd end up with, so when we went to subway we'd split the cost.
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    split the cost

10+ Year Old Account
    Was he going to buy your meal before you said you had the coupon? Not that it matters, but it's the only way I can see you try to to justify this childish position.

considering you get a free lunch only because he orders one is kind of being a cheap ass. at least if you had offered to pay for drinks or side dish or the tip.

imagine going dutch with a girl and then you get a free meal because you invited her to the restaurant and she paid. that would be f'in akward.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd go ahead and split the cost. When I do this kind of thing (Buy one get one free), I always split the cost between us.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

10+ Year Old Account
    You should have said you'd cover this one and he/she gets the next one. That way you still get your free meal (next time) and they don't feel like you are taking advantage of them.

if it was buy one get one and you wanted a free lunch, maybe you should have gone there by yourself and gotten 2 lunches, saving one for tomorrow. if you really wanted your co-worker to join you, then you should split the cost of 1 of them because its considered polite by most people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    I'm assuming that you're going to a restaurant where you sit down, and not some fast-food joint. I'm also assuming that you are not doing separate checks.

Your co-worker could just as easily have said, "We're on separate checks", and you wouldn't have been able to use your coupon at all. Since you are putting both your meals on the same check, then you are acting as a single party. Since you are acting as a single party, then you should split the check evenly after the application of the coupon.

It would have been take out. I brought up the fact I had a buy one get one at the place we decided upon. I think it's BS I have to pay since I have the coupon. We would go there regardless of it. It just happens to be I should get to eat for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    You split the cost. I'd be offended if I went to lunch with someone and they used me to get a free lunch.

I said yes, but only because if I'm already going to go out to eat at that place, and I'm already going to get that specific item on the menu, then why should I care whether or not your meal is free. That said, I would expect that if it wasn't my idea to go to this place, or eat that item then you would have to split.

Aveline's amazing work!

Quote Originally Posted by NewportsDentarg View Post
    So we decided on a place for lunch at work. I mistakenly said I had a coupon for a buy one get one. All of a sudden my coworker decided that the cost will be split and I do not get my free meal.

I said no. He called BS.

Should the lunch cost be split in because of the buy 1 get one coupon? Or should I get my lunch for free?
    I'm going to guess that you are the only person who voted yes so far to this poll.

Anyway you really seem like a selfish person, if I were you buddy when you pulled that shit I would have told the server separate checks.

"hey, want to go buy a lunch so i can get one free?" yeah, that sounds like a courteous question to ask someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you really did have the coupon, then by all means. But if you didn't have the coupon, then tough luck, pay for your food.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    We would go there regardless of it.
    And they could all have said, "Separate checks" and your coupon would have been worthless. The fact that you were piggy-backing off someone else's purchase is the only reason you could use the coupon. Therefore it is not "your free meal". If you had BOUGHT a meal, then you would have gotten a SECOND meal free. However, you did not buy a meal. Someone ELSE bought the meal, and you are freeloading off that purchase. Either split the cost, or buy two meals. That's your choice.

You're trying to have it both ways. You want someone else to activate the condition of your coupon, and yet you want 100% of the benefit of their decision to purchase a meal. That makes you the offender in the scenario, IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    wait a second. That question has more possible answers.

Is it also a good friend?

Yes ----> split

Is it a co-worker you work with but have no further attachements..

Yes ----> go fuck yourself
    No -----> consider to share

Bottom line.... Unless it's a very good co-worker then he/she disqualifies themselves already by the demand.
    he/she could have asked whether you wanna share... He/she shouldn't ask, period if there's no further bond other than being just co-workers. But to decide? No way..
    It is not their place to decide over your benefits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    And they could all have said, "Separate checks" and your coupon would have been worthless. The fact that you were piggy-backing off someone else's purchase is the only reason you could use the coupon. Therefore it is not "your free meal". If you had BOUGHT a meal, then you would have gotten a SECOND meal free. However, you did not buy a meal. Someone ELSE bought the meal, and you are freeloading off that purchase. Either split the cost, or buy two meals. That's your choice.

You're trying to have it both ways. You want someone else to activate the condition of your coupon, and yet you want 100% of the benefit of their decision to purchase a meal. That makes you the offender in the scenario, IMO.
    He could have paid for one, and took the second one home too..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Split the cost.
    Next time keep mouth shut about coupon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Split the cost.
    Next time keep mouth shut about coupon.
    lol or that......
    I've had coupons before too. And i always made the offer to go turn it in and split the costs instead.
    But every time someone demanded the split, I always kept the coupon for later, and just paid regular.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."