Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    we are about 8 in my 25m... so more than you think

I believe we have roughly 6 female raiders in our 25man 13/13H guild. There are a lot of female players now, and not all of them casual or bad. It's pretty hard to fake being a girl nowadays, where if you don't have a mic, it's very odd.

That 35% seems dead on.
    Last edited by tyrindor; 2013-08-02 at 02:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Girls are invading my mmos. Help me!!! I need an adult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Have four in Vent with me right now. One is the guild Co-leader. We have four or five more active females in our guild.

I wouldn't call myself a lady... and my character is male.

Edit -- Fully half (5/10) of my raid group are women. Two of us play male characters.
    Last edited by Alopex Major; 2013-08-02 at 02:56 AM.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    I think a lot more woman probably play than people realize. Many just don't on necessarily let onto it.... Where I'm at I can think of at least 9 I know of off the top of my head, and a number of suspected or vaguely aware of.

What about the female characters thing though, is that related more to a personal interest? Since, after all, I suppose guys looking for women are less likely to try to hit on a male character? Heh. Although many women playing are not on there hunting for a date in game.

I think about the funniest thing I've heard, in terms of player/character gender expectations, was a male Orc who had been AFK come back and say "Sorry, I was watching the end of Project Runway" (Or America's Next Top Model, which ever it was, it was quite a while ago now) and just made me stop for a moment, like wait... Granted there is no reason that a guys might not watch it, but really, what are the chances this was a unexpectedly a woman.
    Hah, it could have very well have been a stealth woman (I have a male Orc), but I'll tell you. It was my best friend's husband who turned me on to Project Runway.
    The Devil Wears Transmog
    World of Warcraft Fashion for the Discerning Adventurer

There are more than you probably think actually. I put my alt in a huge casual guild (when they raid they mean going sunwell and icc, and they take it very seriously) and was surprised at how many girls and women were in there.

Playing normally though most girls I've met in WoW were either the girlfriend of someone or the wife of someone. Very very few I know play on their single own.

I've also only ever raided with one girl that was a good dps that could actually compete with the rest of us. Most others were either mediocre dps or healers. Never met a serious girl tank.

So yeah, for the most part stereotypes were pretty accurate over my 5ish years of playing WoW. I have to say though that in other MMOs, especially asian style MMOs like perfect world and guild wars, there are a lot more girls playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I've also only ever raided with one girl that was a good dps that could actually compete with the rest of us. Most others were either mediocre dps or healers. Never met a serious girl tank.
    Hah, I wouldn't profess to be the best player in the world (I don't have the time or the attention span for serious raiding), but a friend of mine? She's been the main tank of her guild for years. :P
    The Devil Wears Transmog
    World of Warcraft Fashion for the Discerning Adventurer

10+ Year Old Account
    I assume everyone is a man. To many creep kids to not assume that way.

Deleted
    47% of the gamer population are female (http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2012.pdf).
    Probably translates to WoW as well.

According to what research has been done (Nick Yee's is the most extensive I know of) about 40% of wow players are female.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know of at least 8
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Generally people with character names something like "Alana" or "Shalandra", things that end with a feminine vowel tend to be female. Personally I play all male toons with male names because I don't want the people I'm playing with to know I'm female. Also shoulderpads look so much better on male chars...just sayin If i had to guess I'd say 10-15% of WoW players are women.

Deleted
    I know about a dozen and met quite many more. Though, I don't ask from every person I meet are they males or females.. But should be more. Too male-oriented game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    According to what research has been done (Nick Yee's is the most extensive I know of) about 40% of wow players are female.
    I was checking his stuff earlier, and its 40% of characters of are female. It's something like 28% of players identify female as real person gender.

Not that it matters that much. Close enough.

The point is there is no reason to be AHHFEMALES here.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2013-08-02 at 05:42 AM.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Girls are invading my mmos. Help me!!! I need an adult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If it's any consolation my raid group, and guild has zero! Though we've had women raiding with us in the past. I know that many women play male characters, my wife does as well, but she quit playing during Cataclysm.

Deleted
    I started as main tank (paladin) in causal guild. And that was me who brings my boyfriend to play wow again /he falls in love with my guild and this guild broke the wow for him/. He joined the same guild I was in (still I am) and we now raiding these days together. We are 3 girls in our guild and each girl have boyfriend there. 12/13 25man HC.

We have quite a lot of women in our guild. When we were progressing Dragon Soul HC we actually had more women than men in our raid group (6-4, but still). Usually there's 3-5 in our group at any one time though. We have 4 or 5 female officers; of the three raidleaders one is a woman. So yes, one third sounds very accurate what comes to our guild at least.
    That being said, everyone's male until they state otherwise; whether they speak the truth of their gender is no concern of mine. Treat people as they wish to be treated, or more often, as just people without even thinking of gender. You wouldn't know who you're playing with anyway, so assumptions are useless; we had a pug with us once who practically freaked out when he heard he'd been raiding with 7 women the whole evening; he then started trying to guess who we were and made quite stereotypical remarks, at least until the best DPS and main tank both turned out to be women.

Edit: Not nearly all women have boylfriends in the guild; I think three do. Some are single and most of us play without our boyfriends.

Deleted
    I would guess it's somewhere between 10-20%. Just a guess, don't bite my head off if you disagree. 30% I think would be a bit of a stretch but still plausible.

I'm a real girl. My sub is inactive right now but I've been playing off and on since BC.