Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forfax View Post
    Watch this

Before making such claims.
    I would like to counter that with this (Fosil Fuel/Peak Oil) but its probably too long but we aint have the energy/fertilizer for that probably.

Ontopic
    "At some point, they’ll also have to put the FUS CBI on a human, to see if thoughts can be transferred in the opposite direction."
    Yeah totally need that.

Deleted
    Watch this

Thats one impossible way to achieve a sustainable population growth. The greed of the capitalist nations will NEVER work towards this goal. They would rather start a war, than pick from their own huge pockets and help the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarathion View Post
    Most likely, the world have descended into total chaos by then. If we continue to increase our population by 200 000 newborns each day.
    Are you kidding me...

The populations of almost ALL first world countries are either stable or, in many cases, shrinking. Countries with high birth rates often have high death rates to compliment those. More advanced countries with high birth rates, like India, are progressing through industrialization, which brings along with it things like birth control and the heightened status of women in society.

The world is not in threat of becoming "overpopulated." And the countries that DO have high birth rates are not the ones threatening to consume an inordinate number of the world's resources... it's the first world countries, with declining population pyramids, that are more poised to do that.

Anyway...

The prospect of mind controlling humans is very... well, that speaks for itself. Even things like mind controlling animals is highly suspect.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-08-02 at 11:12 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarathion View Post
    Thats one impossible way to achieve a sustainable population growth. The greed of the capitalist nations will NEVER work towards this goal. They would rather start a war, than pick from their own huge pockets and help the world.
    Doesn't really matter, population growth is slowing down in pretty much all countries. It's an inevitable consequence of the development of healthcare, education and GDP growth.

15+ Year Old Account
    How did this thread go from a wierd rat controlling machine to growth population?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

this avarathion guy read dan browns Inferno recently so hes an expert now on growth population and where the world is headed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cashzilla View Post
    "this just in, it is literally raining babies here on this monday in the year 2060. global warming has won, abandon hope"
    Why would we fear such a delicious gift from the sky gods? Surely this rain of babies was meant to help all over mankind overcome world hunger!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Watch this

There's also a cultural factor. In some cultures it is accepted to have large families. Giving such customs up won't be easy (China was able to deal with this, but not every 3rd world country can have as much influence on their people).

And.. There's highly developed western countries where families with many children are very common. Norway, for example. An average Norwegian lives better than someone from U.S. or Canada, and yet they have more than 2 children per family on average.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

this is the day the tinfoil industry has been waiting for...
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    An average Norwegian lives better than someone from U.S. or Canada, and yet they have more than 2 children per family on average.
    Norway's total fertility rate (number of children per woman) is 1.77, compared to 1.57 for Canada, 2.06 for the USA, and 1.59 for the EU in general. All three are sub-replacement rate.

Even if families in Norway do have large numbers of children, that gets balanced out by a large number of other people not having children at all.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Are you kidding me...

The populations of almost ALL first world countries are either stable or, in many cases, shrinking. Countries with high birth rates often have high death rates to compliment those. More advanced countries with high birth rates, like India, are progressing through industrialization, which brings along with it things like birth control and the heightened status of women in society.

The world is not in threat of becoming "overpopulated." And the countries that DO have high birth rates are not the ones threatening to consume an inordinate number of the world's resources... it's the first world countries, with declining population pyramids, that are more poised to do that.

Anyway...

The prospect of mind controlling humans is very... well, that speaks for itself. Even things like mind controlling animals is highly suspect.
    It's things like this that make me scared for humanity. I wonder why people are so pro-science when it really just means more control over us.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And, in the worst case scenario, populations are ultimately limited by carrying capacity - augmented as that may be by technology. "If you're feelin' lean, try Soylent Green!"

To the topic at hand: This is wicked cool. One step closer to giant robots and mediocre Bruce Willis movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    It's things like this that make me scared for humanity. I wonder why people are so pro-science when it really just means more control over us.
    I'm still pretty pro-hammer even though a few people got the raw end of some nails.
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    And, in the worst case scenario, populations are ultimately limited by carrying capacity - augmented as that may be by technology. "If you're feelin' lean, try Soylent Green!"

To the topic at hand: This is wicked cool. One step closer to giant robots and mediocre Bruce Willis movies.

I'm still pretty pro-hammer even though a few people got the raw end of some nails.
    I don't think I believe it's right that those people were affected, as much as the hammer helped you.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I don't think I believe it's right that those people were affected, as much as the hammer helped you.
    Then you are anti-progression, and the reason that humanity's epic story is being slowly stifled. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

One day, colonizing the moon will become a possibility, and there will be people standing there saying that we shouldn't disturb the pretty dust particles for "conservation"'s sake. This is a backwards mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Then you are anti-progression, and the reason that humanity's epic story is being slowly stifled. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

One day, colonizing the moon will become a possibility, and there will be people standing there saying that we shouldn't disturb the pretty dust particles for "conservation"'s sake. This is a backwards mentality.
    It's not a backwards mentality. It's a purist mentality. Those who wish to "progress" wish to corrupt and control. Unless you have some hyper-rational logical argument for the need for space to be inhabited by our species, homo sapiens sapiens, it is nothing more than evil to do so.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Besides all the tin foil claptrap. What would be the practical applied purpose of a brain-to-brain interface?
    Last edited by kunah; 2013-08-04 at 05:55 AM.
    Operation Red Wing

Can't wait for the science fiction of this to crop up, followed inevitably by the reality.

Imagine just thinking something, and another human is forced to obey. This could be...abused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by cashzilla View Post
    "Researchers at Harvard University have created the first noninvasive brain-to-brain interface (BBI) between a human… and a rat. Simply by thinking the appropriate thought, the BBI allows the human to control the rat’s tail"

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...thoughts-alone

some really amazing stuff. science is cool
    YES! MY DREAM OF WORLD DOMINATION WITH AN ARMY OF RATS IS ONE STEP CLOSER TO COMING TRUE!

JK, that's really damn cool though. Can I get one for my GF? Wiggle her gspot simply by thinking an appropriate thought?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post

How would the ability of mind control increase the progress of the human race in a positive way? Having more control over one's self is a more modern idea, while being enslaved/being controlled is an idea of the past.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuo Heiwajima View Post
    Reminds me of Demolition Man...
    That's the second reference to demolition man I've seen today on the OT forums. Weird shit.