Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Current state of hunters / 5.4

Hey, just logged on my hunter for the first time in a while. I remember it was quite fun playing it, but it sucked beeing on the bottom. Has anything changed / will be changed? Or are we still the worst pure-dps class?

10+ Year Old Account
    well 5.4 hasnt hit yet but as of 5.3 hunters are doing very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    Logs says otherwise? :P

Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    Yeah, logs say otherwise when looking at other pure dps classes, especially.

Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    No logs agree. Hunters are the lowest Ranged DPS currently. You may often see Hunters doing quite well in low-mid range guilds because Hunters are really really really easy to play properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    No logs agree. Hunters are the lowest Ranged DPS currently. You may often see Hunters doing quite well in low-mid range guilds because Hunters are really really really easy to play properly.
    Well that does not mean that "hunters are doing very well." The problem with hunters when I quit was that they were sub-optimal or whatever the correct word is. Aka "bad"

We're having a lot of troubles right now, and we're going through some severe "growing pains" on the PTR- mechanical changes are causing massive DPS and utility/personal defense losses, and we are waiting to see what the compensation and fixes are going to be- fixes have been promised, we just don't know what they are or if they'll be enough to pull us up significantly.

As of 5.3, we are middle-of-the-pack DPS with abnormally low raid utility, but if you're a good player, you can still perform well and top meters. If you're an extremely hardcore raider, expect it to be somewhat more difficult to find a consistent raid spot in a progression guild and keep up with the other dps in terms of either damage output or utility.

Edit:
    Note that Blizzard has expressed the opinion that our raid utility is "fine," and we probably won't be seeing any utility buffs whatsoever, though other classes that far outshine us are receiving some utility nerfs.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2013-08-02 at 05:30 PM.

You trolling? We are already subpar in 5.3 and with the removal of readiness in 5.4 with no compensation YET our rotation is going to be boring. GC/Lore claim we bring utility in raids but alas we bring nothing for a progression guild if you compare us to any class. We have no self healing except a crappy disengage glyph and our survivabilty depends around our deterence which may or may not work on boss mechanics. Our Dps is ok in 5.3 but in comparison to rogues, mages and locks we are last in the pure Dps classes. We are not terrible but other classes do outshine us in every department such as lock portals, rogue smoke bomb/Dps, Mage Dps etc....

15+ Year Old Account
    One thing they should change with Hunters to bring us onpar with other classes utility (such as Warlock Portals and Rogue Smoke) is change our Master's Call to be raid wide.

Deleted
    On single target with BIS you should be in the top, destroyed by mages and locks thou.
    On cleave fights your gonna get DEMOLISHED by almost all speccs.
    On big aoe packs you should be in the top, still destroyed by mages and locks.

As Oggy said.
    Also on aoe fights you will "again" see a paladin tank with 500-600k dps followed by druid tank at ~400k dps and then actually DPSers...... with a hunter on bottom :P

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Yes, Multi-dot fights as well if you'd like to separate them from the traditional 'cleave' encounters. It looks like there's going to be a several of these bosses in SoO - think along the lines of Council of Elders and even Primordius to an extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    On single target with BIS you should be in the top, destroyed by mages and locks thou.
    On big aoe packs you should be in the top, still destroyed by mages and locks.
    even mages and locks dont beat hunters are big aoe packs, only brewmaster monks and warriors with bladestorm should beat a hunter.

on the pack before iron qon think I peaked around 1.5mil before, beast cleave op on tons and tons of targets.

On those big aoe packs with a good amount of HP it's generally between me and a ret paladin (not counting tanks), interestingly enough. For shorter AOE packs feral is very strong too. And warlocks are always pretty good.

Overall hunters are definitely lacking in raid utility apart from being able to bring any raid buff/debuff (which seems to be intended and not likely to change), and about average at best in terms of damage. We still have very little idea what 5.4 will look like because blizzard has changed a bunch of things without doing the major number tuning pass they've told us is coming. They're nerfing the specs that are outliers at the top, so if the tuning to compensate for the loss of readiness is good, there's no reason to think we won't be very competitive.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    There is no cause for concern. The new Glyph of the Lean Pack is still on PTR, and -- barring any major nerfs to it -- our raid utility will be better than ever.

I am not sure, I do relatively good dps in comparsion to equally geared charcaters of other classes, I will agree though that Mages and Locks easily pump out more damage, I think we need a better rotation and buff for sure, the rotation is just so boring.. I find myself just sitting and waiting for LnL procs all fight.

Deleted
    but as of 5.3 hunters are doing very well.
    That is not true at all, i have/had a few 1-5 WoL ranks as BM/SV in ToT and the only fights i have a chance to beat our mages/locks and rogues on are Ra-Den, Lei-Shen, Qon and Twin's.
    We are in the middle of the pack this tier, i wouldnt describe that as "very well".
    I quess i would be able to beat them on Tortos aswell but we don't kill the bats in our guild.
    Last edited by mmocf4ab73a1dd; 2013-08-04 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    There is no cause for concern. The new Glyph of the Lean Pack is still on PTR, and -- barring any major nerfs to it -- our raid utility will be better than ever.
    wat

I agree that this is their attempt at giving us utility, but I'm baffled that you actually find it acceptable.

If a raid leader ever conceptualized using this glyph in some way, he'd stop conceptualizing and use a stampeding roar.

well 5.4 hasnt hit yet but as of 5.3 hunters are doing very well in 5 mans, LFR and 10 man guilds that are 3/12 normal mode with a raid leader that cant put together a decent group with 2 hands and a flash light.
    Fixed that for ya...

Completely false.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gulder View Post
    wat

I agree that this is their attempt at giving us utility, but I'm baffled that you actually find it acceptable.

If a raid leader ever conceptualized using this glyph in some way, he'd stop conceptualizing and use a stampeding roar.
    He forgot to use [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags....