Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Annnnnnnnnnd I live near Crystal River, Florida. Kudos to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Now some might as "where are the alternatives?" The problem with alternatives is that they are not what we call dispatchable energy. That is to say, they don't work 24/7! We need power at all times of the day, so if a power source turns off and on depending on the wind or the sun cycle, we simply cannot fully rely on it. I encourage the building of alternatives, but only as supplementary energy. Another problem with solar is that the go from producing nothing to producing full energy in the course of about 30 minutes. Being able to bring other energy sources off and on the grid that quickly is tricky.
    I also wanted to point out that nuclear is terrible for quickly changing loads. So if you have uncontrollable but high yield sources like solar and wind, you need something that is agile and provides enough energy when they are low. You could probably use a reactor like the ones used in submarines and aircraft carriers to fill in but its still less efficient than a reactor operating at max load. BTW solar at least produces its highest output when demand is high in the middle of the day so it wouldnt be that inconvenient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Power company bought and paid for the legislature in Florida? No surprise, corporations do that all over America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing new to me. Florida is about as a notorious GOBN as any state in the south or Texas. (GOBN = Good Ole Boy Network, business and legislature golf buddies fucking normal folks up the ass for as long as they can get away with it).

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Nothing new to me. Florida is about as a notorious GOBN as any state in the south or Texas. (GOBN = Good Ole Boy Network, business and legislature golf buddies fucking normal folks up the ass for as long as they can get away with it).
    Yea it's pretty depressing sometimes. The redistricting was a complete mess. I can't imagine what the GOBN and their relationship with business would look like in the future if the fair district amendment hadn't passed.

It can't even be called "crony capitalism." There's absolutely nothing capitalist about it. It's just "cronyism."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    It can't even be called "crony capitalism." There's absolutely nothing capitalist about it. It's just "cronyism."
    While I wish this was true, it is not. Capitalism is a very wide umbrella under which this easily falls. You can say it's not free-market capitalism, but even there some supply-side manipulation is expected... how much and to what degree is a matter of interpretation.