10+ Year Old Account

Question How much water should i drink a day?

I have heard that 8 glasses of water a day is what you should drink, but is this an old wives tale?

Does this "8 glasses" factor in the water we get from every day activity?

• Water you get from Coffee/Tea/Food?
    • Water you get from Breathing in the air/fog?
    • Water you get from Showering, (e.g. seeping into your pores)?

How important is hydration in the losing weight process?
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    I have heard that 8 glasses of water a day is what you should drink, but is this an old wives tale?

Does this "8 glasses" factor in the water we get from every day activity?

• Water you get from Coffee/Tea/Food?
    • Water you get from Breathing in the air/fog?
    • Water you get from Showering, (e.g. seeping into your pores)?

How important is hydration in the losing weight process?
    • Water you get from Coffee/Tea/Food? YES - But drinking straight water is better because most other drinks contain salt/caffeine which helps dehydrate you and/or sugars and other things
    • Water you get from Breathing in the air/fog? NO
    • Water you get from Showering NO

Also... Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
    Last edited by Rackfu; 2013-08-04 at 07:35 AM.

You know you drank enough water when your pee is white. This helps you detoxify your liver and flush out toxins. Drinking lots of water will keep you hydrated, which naturally encourages cell regeneration. It will also allow the liver to filter out more toxins and residue, letting it work faster and increasing your energy level.
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

10+ Year Old Account
    Enough to quench your thirst. Sometimes drinking too much can be bad - but not as bad as drinking too little. If you're thirsty, it generally means your blood volume is too low and you should get on that immediately.

If you eat paleo, you'll find that you don't need much water at all. There's tons of it in fruits, vegetables, and meats. Modern diets sort of make up for the lack of water in grains by suggesting extra water to be imbibed.

Deleted
    8 glasses of water a day?... Do you spend 5 hours a day jogging in Nigeria? Then yeah, 8 glasses of water seems reasonable.

The human body is very bad at absorbing enough liquids from food alone, so you should always drink something at least a few times a day. Water is of course the best drink to keep yourself hydrated.

It all depends on how active you are and how much you sweat during the day. One hour of workout can require as much as a litre of water, but it's also important not to drink a litre at the same time, because you'll just urinate most of it out.

How much do you get from showering? Basically none. Breathing in the moisture in the air? Basically none. In fact, you will most likely have more water evaporated than gained through breathing even if it's very foggy out, especially if you breath through your mouth.

As for the weight loss, it's not super important directly, but your body functions are lowered if you're not hydrated enough, so it will affect you indirectly.

Recommendation? 3-5 glasses of water a day if you're slacking, but spread throughout the entire day. If you're very active, drink half a glass every 15mins while working out or whatever you're doing.

How much would a glass be? I'd say about 3dl.

It's also very important that you don't drink too much either at the same time or you'll get an overdose from water. (Your brain gets so swollen that it can't take it anymore. You die. Fast... Pretty painless though!)
    This require a lot of water though, over 5 litres in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    8 glasses of water a day?... Do you spend 5 hours a day jogging in Nigeria? Then yeah, 8 glasses of water seems reasonable.

The human body is very bad at absorbing enough liquids from food alone, so you should always drink something at least a few times a day. Water is of course the best drink to keep yourself hydrated.

It all depends on how active you are and how much you sweat during the day. One hour of workout can require as much as a litre of water, but it's also important not to drink a litre at the same time, because you'll just urinate most of it out.

How much do you get from showering? Basically none. Breathing in the moisture in the air? Basically none. In fact, you will most likely have more water evaporated than gained through breathing even if it's very foggy out, especially if you breath through your mouth.

As for the weight loss, it's not super important directly, but your body functions are lowered if you're not hydrated enough, so it will affect you indirectly.

Recommendation? 3-5 glasses of water a day if you're slacking, but spread throughout the entire day. If you're very active, drink half a glass every 15mins while working out or whatever you're doing.

How much would a glass be? I'd say about 3dl.

It's also very important that you don't drink too much either at the same time or you'll get an overdose from water. (Your brain gets so swollen that it can't take it anymore. You die. Fast... Pretty painless though!)
    This require a lot of water though, over 5 litres in most cases.
    Seriously? Where did you even get this nonsense?

OP: 8 oz of water is the recommended amount for humans. Drink it spaced out throughout the day. Yes you get water from other sources but straight water is always the best. No you don't get it from fog or from the shower.

I like to get myself a poweraid zero bottle (they are 32 oz or 4 glasses). Then if you want you can mark 3 lines on it roughly where 8 oz would be. Then with permanent marker label these lines for times of when to drink it by (See my crude sketch below). This will help you drink the water slowly and over the course of a day.
    __
    / \
    | |
    ----- Drink by 2pm
    | |
    ----- Drink by 12pm
    | |
    ----- Drink by 9am
    |__|

Signature Created by Jassinta

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepsidedj View Post
    You know you drank enough water when your pee is white.
    This.

Your body has the one accurate way to tell you when you are having enough water. When your pee is white, you are drinking enough water. If you are still peeing yellow, you're not drinking enough.

Deleted
    I'd be really worried if my pee was white instead of transparent though, lol.

Deleted
    I drink at least 2 litres a day, often times 4.

I'm a stickler for staying hydrated though. Basically, if your piss is dark, you're dehydrated quite badly. If your piss is like, straw colour, it's not too bad.

My piss nowadays is basically spring water apart from the first one in the mornings, but even then it's still not that bad.

Deleted
    Two litters of water is the bare minimum on top of the other sources of water you get from your food / drinks. On summers, even non athletes should drink minimum 3 liters of water daily.
    My daily water intake is usually @ 4-5 liters ( lowest ) up to 8 ( highest )

Deleted
    I only drink water, haven't drank anything else (apart from when i go out drinking heheheheeh). I had to go to the doctors because i was getting dizy a lot, out of breath and apparently i'm drowning myself with too much water.

Deleted
    Workout days i consume 3-5 litres a day depending is it summer or winter. About half of that is mineral water. Good rule of thumb is to drink as much that your pee turns light yellow.

In weight loss drinking alot of water is even more important than normally. Burning calories requires sufficient supply of water in order to function properly.

Besides fat your adipose tissue (fat cells) also storage all kinds of toxins, and when burning fat those toxins are released to your blood stream. Water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your system.

10+ Year Old Account
    below taken from http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/w...ss-diet?page=2 ---
    "How can you know if you’re getting enough water to keep your metabolism cranking at peak efficiency and your digestive system functioning? The formula used to be “one size fits all” -- eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. But that’s changed, experts say.

“It depends on your size and weight, and also on your activity level and where you live,” Nessler says. “In general, you should try to drink between half an ounce and an ounce of water for each pound you weigh, every day.” For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, that would be 75 to 150 ounces of water a day. If you’re living in a hot climate and exercising a lot, you’d be on the higher end of that range; if you’re in a cooler climate and mostly sedentary, you’d need less. Here's a calculator related to that

Another quick way to check: look in the bowl after you’ve gone to the bathroom. If your urine is clear or very light yellow and has little odor, you’re well hydrated. The darker and more aromatic your urine, the more dehydrated you are."

lil more with protein/creatine
    If you're taking your protein intake to really high levels, it can become toxic without enough water.
    If you take creatine at all, you need to be drinking more water, more info on that - http://www.muscle101.com/old_page/creatine.html

I think 8 glasses should suffice

As much as you can without killing yourself usually does the trick

I just follow the rule that if my piss isn't clear I need to drink more. That is usually about a gallon a day.

Deleted
    I usually drink 1 gallon a day (3-4 liter).

Deleted
    A gallon a day in my case, sometimes a lot more. If my piss is not totally clear I drink more, healthy kidneys can filter about a litre of water an hour so do not worry about over drinking. Almost everyone that has died due to too much water has done it to win some stupid competition or dare, so drink as much as you like without feeling uncomfortable.