Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

My 4yr old likes D3

So my 4yr old son saw me playing D3 and I let him have a go at it.

He's not half bad and enjoys it, but with the violent themes I'm worried quite a bit and I just noticed the D3 rating .

On the other-hand he's expanding his vocabulary, learning computer skills, and developing fine motor skills.

He does not enjoy any age appropriate games that I have found.

Can anyone recommend an age appropriate game that he might find challenging and enjoy?

I'm also interested in comments on the effects of letting children play games that may not be appropriate for their age but seem to have learning benefits.

Thanks

Deleted
    Personally I started with games such as Ghost Recon when I was about 10y old or so, never saw any issue with it. But 4y old is quite a big difference though

I was playing Star Wars on N64 when I was 4-5.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Path of Exile, it is similar to diablo.

Torch light 1 and 2 (diablo style games made by the original diablo creator) still have some violence but I think its much less dark and gritty check them out

Yes I was about to recommend TorchLight. The cartoony graphics might be better suited for his age. Though honestly I don't believe D3 would affect him negatively in any way, but it's your call. There might be an option to turn off blood in D3 or TL? Not really sure.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Madmajix View Post
    Torch light 1 and 2 (diablo style games made by the original diablo creator) still have some violence but I think its much less dark and gritty check them out
    Yeah, I'd recommend Torchlight 2. Similar gameplay, and toned down a little in the gore department. I guess since it's digital distribution only (?) there's no ESRB rating, but the original had a T for Teen rating.

Give him minecraft, then his creativeness will go crazy.
    "one never escapes from the compulsion and chance to be powerful" Peter Sloterdijk
    i5-4690k --- ASUS Z97-A --- 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 --- EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3

I was playing GTA at the age of 8/9. I haven't murdered anyone or had the urge to round up prostitutes and slice their heads off with a katana.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Age of Empires 2. Every child should be brought up with that game.

Honestly, just let him continue playing D3. If you're worried about the "gore/violence" just do what a parent is suppose to do, talk to him about it and tell him that it is just fantasy and if he tries things that he sees in the game he or someone else can get hurt and/or in serious trouble. Plus violent games can be good for kids(actually for all people) as it can help release stress, frustration, and pent up anger so they don't have the urge to take it out on other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    I was playing GTA at the age of 8/9. I haven't murdered anyone or had the urge to round up prostitutes and slice their heads off with a katana.
    Yet, dat avatar.
    Just kidding

Torchlight is fun and I think less gorey/dark! It's also questionable whether or not violent video games affect child development. I was killing goblins and jumping on Goombas ever since N64 came out when I was in Elementary School, and now I'm close to finishing my Master's degree in engineering, my Dad calls me "The Jesus of the family," and I was President of a community service club in High School. So, uh, yeah. :P

Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    This x 100. Video games don't make people violent, it's people with mental disorders.

I think I was playing doom 1&2 on the snes and turok on the n64 around that time. I've never once had a thought to do something violent irl as long as the person is raised right and they understand its a video game I don't see anything wrong with playing games like that. Minecraft is a great game that he might enjoy, it might need a little explaining with the basics like how to make certain tools ect... DC universe online might be another good one too, its a MMO with DC characters its also free.

Deleted
    well my first violent game was GTA:Vice City and I was like 8 or maybe 9 back then and I didn't murder anyone so far

+1 for playing GTA when young. Still yet to murder anyone, but the time will come. I mean, I really did enjoy playing with the remote detonate packs around the hospital with 6 stars...

Sorry what I was day-dreaming...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flareside View Post

This this and more this. A childs brain is developed by 90% by time they hit the age of 5. I'd stick to stuff more creative and less violent for a little longer.

Almost all games are violent in some form or another.

Teach your kid that it's just a game, and he'll grow up OK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    So my 4yr old son saw me playing D3 and I let him have a go at it.

He's not half bad and enjoys it, but with the violent themes I'm worried quite a bit and I just noticed the D3 rating .

On the other-hand he's expanding his vocabulary, learning computer skills, and developing fine motor skills.

He does not enjoy any age appropriate games that I have found.

Can anyone recommend an age appropriate game that he might find challenging and enjoy?

I'm also interested in comments on the effects of letting children play games that may not be appropriate for their age but seem to have learning benefits.

Thanks
    Man... Diablo 3 is PEGI 16+... Give your son something less violent.

Quote Originally Posted by flareside View Post
    THIS this this this ^

Very bad parenting.

That is a rated M game. A teenager, okay, fine, there is so much that can be done to control those. But a 4 year old???? Too bad I can't, otherwise I would call social services; if the kid is being exposed to that, who knows what else. And people wonder why kids grow up to enjoy blood, gore in general and violent activities.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis...tificate=31460