Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was playing Doom when I was 4: I'm a pacifist.

I think the whole violent video games = violence thing is nonsense. I'm sure a correlation exists, but that's because violent people will be attracted to outlets for their violence, particularly violent movies, music and games. Not everybody who reads a book (or watches a documentary) about genocide wants to commit genocide: it's an illogical argument absent of causal evidence.

With that said, I understand the concern - and recommend Torchlight and Torchlight 2. It's the same gameplay as Diablo 3, but without the splatter-gore effects. It's like Fisher Price presents Diablo 3
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2013-08-06 at 06:17 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

as a fellow parent I can simply say, video games don't make violent people. bad parenting makes bad people :P

let them play what they wish, but make sure they realise its a game, its not real.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I was playing Doom when I was 4: I'm a pacifist.

I think the whole violent video games = violence thing is nonsense. I'm sure a correlation exists, but that's because violent people will be attracted to outlets for their violence, particularly violent movies, music and games. Not everybody who reads a book (or watches a documentary) about genocide wants to commit genocide: it's an illogical argument absent of causal evidence.

With that said, I understand the concern - and recommend Torchlight and Torchlight 2. It's the same gameplay as Diablo 3, but without the splatter-gore effects. It's like Fisher Price presents Diablo 3
    Very well put, that IS the only link, the people who have these tendencies, look to games as an outlet before something bad happens. it is no direct link to the games. I'm 28, been gaming since I was 10 did me no harm. played CS since first beta. Im not a terrorist yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    played CS since first beta. Im not a terrorist yet.
    That's the link everyone makes. By playing a certain game never means you're actualy becoming, whatever you are doing in that game. It's the images in a game that can be harmful for the childs mind.

People keep telling here "I played X game but never turned out to be a Murderer". We know. (also funny how you added 'yet')
    But I'm sure you don't need your child to see occult themes, demons, and big-time slaughter. Any person with a couple of brains that killing is bad. Violence, is bad. But being affected by certain themes, may 'destroy' a childs mind. Surely, it's possible the child can be clever enough to understand it's fake and nothing to be afraid of. But if you can make a child believe there is such a thing as the "Tooth Fairy".. How easy would it to be for a child to think some of those demons are real?

@Gereor: I'm giving up. Besides the fact that people obviously only want to ignore the obvious (bad dreams, disconnected childhood due to sitting behind computer) and state the even more obvious (I'm not a terrorist, but I gamed when I was 1 and a half DERPIEDERP), it's also quite clear that parenting is explained quite variably here as well.

If these are the parents of tomorrow, tough tomorrow.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    as a fellow parent I can simply say, video games don't make violent people. bad parenting makes bad people :P
    that i agree. but it's not about this kind of influence, we agree that people that link mass slaughter and video games are ignorant at best.

what about healthy child development. setting a bed time hours and enforcing it. Managing exces of energy and adrenaline that comes with fast pace competitive game play, be online or against the console/computer.

does a young child have enough self control to not throw the controller out of frustration, or not shouting.

What are gonna be his behavior when online, cussing and belittle others are not so bad, are actually the norm.

for exemple

maybe etreme but very much real.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather my child play a fantasy game like diablo than any FPS game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    does a young child have enough self control to not throw the controller out of frustration, or not shouting.

What are gonna be his behavior when online, cussing and belittle others are not so bad, are actually the norm.
    As others have said and suggested earlier. That's mostly due to parenting and the behaviour the kid is taught. Even if you don't, eventually they'll learn sooner or later that it isn't proper behaviour. They need to be taught self control, and you as a parent are supposed to be modelfigure for that.
    If you see your kid being voilent and abusive with his controller or language, educate him that it isn't proper to do so. Hell, shut the game off for him. You however need to be immediate in your acting and be consistent.
    You also shouldn't act it the same fashion yourself, because more often than not, children take after their parents and their peers. They look at what they do, and have a habit of imitating that behaviour.

I do admit that when playing a game and failing several times in a row, I tend to get frustrated and need an outlet for that anger. I used to be quite abusive with my language in those scenarios as a child I did several just toss the controller aside in frustration. But that sour behaviour led me to breaking the controller, and my parents refused me to buy another one. So now I wasn't able to play games at all, so what I did was do extra chores for neighbors to earn additional cash to buy myself a new one, on advice of my parents.
    That at the same time taught me about the value of money as well as that of equipment and that I should take proper care of them. To be quite fair, I think most of us have vented their anger once or several times via words or slamming their fist onto furniture, myself included.

The example you gave us is more an example of bad parenting in my personal opinion. The parents should have been quicker to act and set some consistent rules, and make punishment clear if they do not follow those rules. This might be harsh, but it is needed. Children, especially teens will always attempt to bend the rules, and if it works for them once, they'll probably do it again and see how much leeway they have with you.

In terms of video games, the question shouldn't be "Can I let my child play this video game?" No, it should be "Should I let my child play this video game alone?"
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2013-08-08 at 04:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    @Gereor: I'm giving up. Besides the fact that people obviously only want to ignore the obvious (bad dreams, disconnected childhood due to sitting behind computer) and state the even more obvious (I'm not a terrorist, but I gamed when I was 1 and a half DERPIEDERP), it's also quite clear that parenting is explained quite variably here as well.

If these are the parents of tomorrow, tough tomorrow.
    Agreed, its kinda scary. I just can't grasp how people can reason that this is ok.
    Call me House.

Personally I don't think animated demons exploding has any effect on a child's mind other than entertaining it. I would just let him play D3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    I lol @ people like you.

I used to play GTA with my niece when she was like 6-7, she used to love running people over and getting chased by the cops
    I did not lol at you becuase thats not funny. A 6-7 yo playing GTA, what is wrong with you? To young for such violent video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    So my 4yr old son saw me playing D3 and I let him have a go at it.

He's not half bad and enjoys it, but with the violent themes I'm worried quite a bit and I just noticed the D3 rating .

On the other-hand he's expanding his vocabulary, learning computer skills, and developing fine motor skills.

He does not enjoy any age appropriate games that I have found.

Can anyone recommend an age appropriate game that he might find challenging and enjoy?

I'm also interested in comments on the effects of letting children play games that may not be appropriate for their age but seem to have learning benefits.

Thanks
    Pfft. Let him play diablo 3.

When I was around that age I was playing Duke Nukem (1), Doom, Wolfenstien, ect. It had next to no impact on my development compared to the influences of my peers and teachers.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

nah, 4 is too young for violent/horror imagery. let them keep their innocence for a bit longer than that. minecraft in creative mode or something would suit a kid's development and mind a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Pfft. Let him play diablo 3.

When I was around that age I was playing Duke Nukem (1), Doom, Wolfenstien, ect. It had next to no impact on my development compared to the influences of my peers and teachers.
    This, my first computer game was Wolfenstien i was 6 at the time.
    Tho if I were you i would try to find him something less "Dark" themed then D3, but that's more to prevent any kind of nightmares etc.

edit: I think minecraft would be great just like others have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    So my 4yr old son saw me playing D3 and I let him have a go at it.

He's not half bad and enjoys it, but with the violent themes I'm worried quite a bit and I just noticed the D3 rating .

On the other-hand he's expanding his vocabulary, learning computer skills, and developing fine motor skills.

He does not enjoy any age appropriate games that I have found.

Can anyone recommend an age appropriate game that he might find challenging and enjoy?

I'm also interested in comments on the effects of letting children play games that may not be appropriate for their age but seem to have learning benefits.

Thanks
    Be a parent, not a friend. Kids don't NEED video games. Kids NEED parents who are aware of the age appropriateness of the content they are exposing their children to. Children under 5 need experiences with activities that develop their entire self, not with pushing buttons and looking at a screen; there's plenty of time for that when they are teenagers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i wouldn't let my 4 year old nephew play it.

who knows what sort of psychological damage diablo could do to a small innocent brain!!!
    I know all 6 hours of gameplay , and the letdown of a storyline
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    I know all 6 hours of gameplay , and the letdown of a storyline
    Yeah. That's a good point.

Diablo 3 might turn him off of video games.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -