computer freezes while NOT gaming???

my computer randomly freezes while browsing the web, playing music and watching movies, but doesnt freeze when playing games such as WoW, DoTa 2, BF3 or GTA4.
    i also cannot access BIOS(asus is working on this with me.. it's been like this since day 1)

specs:
    p8z68v LX
    i5 3570k OCed to 3.9ghz
    128gb mushkin ssd
    500gb WD hdd
    ati raedon 6970hd
    8gb ripsaw ddr3 ram
    corsair 750w PSU
    sony cd/dvd drive
    asus cd/dvd burner

all computer temps are low. cpu is 31c idle, 35c when gaming. mobo is 25c when idle, around 29c when gaming
    only way to get back is to hard restart the computer.

windows memory test does a standard test fine, but locks up during an extended test at 24%.
    since i cannot access BIOS, i cant do any other memory test

lately(past 3 days) it has been happening withing 10 minutes of me turning on the computer.. and it happens repeatedly. i am suspecting the Mobo, but i am not sure. it could also be the RAM. i have ran the computer with each memory stick individually, and im getting the same results with each stick(computer freezes when browsing the web, but doesnt freeze when playing games)

it happened before i OCed to 3.9ghz too.

any ideas? it's really irritating not being able to simply browse forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was the RAM, I'd imagine it would probably happen MORE often while gaming, same with the Mobo.

It probably goes without saying, but have you done virus/malware sweeps and checked to make sure all your drivers, plugins, and browser info are up to date? The fact that you're locking up while doing browser and media things but not during intensive activities like gaming makes me wonder if it's not an issue with Flash, Shockwave, or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorphius View Post
    If it was the RAM, I'd imagine it would probably happen MORE often while gaming, same with the Mobo.

It probably goes without saying, but have you done virus/malware sweeps and checked to make sure all your drivers, plugins, and browser info are up to date? The fact that you're locking up while doing browser and media things but not during intensive activities like gaming makes me wonder if it's not an issue with Flash, Shockwave, or something along those lines.
    havent done a virus check. all my drivers, plugins and browsers are up to do. it has happened without me touching the computer
    i turned it on. went ate breakfast. came back, and it was frozen.
    it has happened once when playing GTA4, but happens more often when either watching a movie using VLC or browsing the web.

Could be your SSD drive. Happened to mine, usualy firmware upgrades = fix