Thread: need upgrade?

Red face need upgrade?

I am a level 43 Jedi shadow on the damage tree. I just have a really hard time beating bases. They do a lot of damage, and I do not damage them fast enough. I think I need more upgrades and equipment, but I do not understand any of that. Can anyone explain to me and what I need? Thanks in advance

Deleted
    This thread reminds me of the other one with the marauder struggling with his fights XD

Anyway.
    As a Jedi Shadow, you should focus on pieces of gear with Willpower on it.
    Anything else is worthless. (although one could argue that Strength is not completely useless to Shadows...)

Also, you mentionned that you were on the "damage tree" : which one?
    Infiltration or Balance?

If you're Infiltration specced, I would suggest that you switch to Balance as you won't have to rely on positionning behind your targets to bring your spec's damage to its full potential.

Deleted
    Well I have to say that you've done well to get to lvl43 not knowing how the stats and armour upgrade systems works.
    When you say bases, do you mean bosses? And do you mean open world elites or class mission bosses?
    Which damage tree are you using or hybrid?
    I'm assuming that you use your companion on these fights? You know what your primary stat is? And which abilities give you the best bang for your buck (dmg/force cost)?

I really do not know a lot about MMOs. I am infiltration and I use my companion. I mean any boss whether class or bonus mission. It has taken me a year just to get this far, probably because I do not understand this stuff. Of course I took a four month break and only started back recently.

Deleted
    Do you gear your companion?
    Do you repair your equipment regularly?
    As you're Infiltration specced, do you use your Shadow Strike? ( )

Deleted
    Have a look at this site then ask any questions you are not sure about for more specific information.
    http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/jedi...w/infiltration

Good luck

I may switch to the other damage tree. Thanks for the help. I do repair and I gear some of my comps

Deleted
    You're welcome
    You might want to check out Bolverk's link.

There's also a Balance guide there if you decide to switch : http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/jedi...shadow/balance

I checked the links. is it telling me what armor and mods I needed or was that an example?

- - - Updated - - -

I am guessing it is a recommendation as some require level 55 and I am only 43

- - - Updated - - -

So if I am level 43 is there any certain armor I should have or just use mods to get the levels to where they are supposed to be. Also how do I tell if there levels are where they need to be?

Deleted
    Yes the site recommends best in slot mods for max level.
    You should have orange 'moddable' gear in head, chest, hands, legs, feet, main hand weapon, and offhand with level suitable mods.
    You should have level suitable blue items in waist , bracers (you can also get orange items for these 2 slots), relics x2, implants x 2 and ear.

You can see the item levels you should be aiming for at the planetary comms vendors in the supplies area of the fleet, Belsavis IIRC for lvl43.

If you would like, PM me the server you play on....or state it here is you don't mind that, and if you play on the same server as me we can group up and I can look at your gear to give you some pointers
    Last edited by mmoc53c2ae6845; 2013-08-04 at 10:00 PM.

I am on the shadowlands server and my character name is austinik

- - - Updated - - -

OMG. I upgraded my armor, used the sttacks the guide says to use and I died quicker than before!!!!!

do you have the healing companion? are you using cc?

Explain better what situations are killing you. Packs? Try to cc the silver/gold mob first, and kill all the weak ones. Make sure your companion's aoe's are off so they don't break your cc.

What level are the mobs you are tackling?

I can tell you sometimes changing can make it harder before it gets better. On Rift, I switched to harbinger from warlock, and even though I read a great guide, my execution was poor for a day or two, then it picked up a lot.

I can't help with shadow much, because I play a sorcerer. My wife played assassin and there were times she felt it was challenging, and she is a long time MMO veteran.

I suggest you try to get an 'edge' on your competition. If you have anywhere to go that is a bit lower level than you with available quests that are still at least green, you can 'boost' yourself. You can do space missions or flashpoints also to try and boost yourself.

Be careful where you walk as to not pull extra, you'll get used to it. Try to always use a cc on the strongest mobs and if you use a dps companion, set them to attack the strongest non-cc'd mob while you clear out the weak mobs.

Try to group up for content if you can, being social in an MMO is part of the idea

Hopefully someone will be able to assist you in game; because that usually translates better than forum posts; but barring that, try to explain more the content you are taking on. I'm sure you'll get it

Yes I use healing companion, and I cc when there is a mob. What defeats me the most is boss'. Like right now lord beldiss. I think he is 44 but I don't think one level should matter. I have seen many people beat someone a level higher than them.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should not be having any issues as Infiltration. I would not recommend Balance though. I tried it and was not impressed.

The biggest thing is, like others have said, is upgrade both your gear and your companion's gear (using Commendations to buy level-appropriate mods is a big boon). Once that is done check to make sure your rotation for your spec is correct (not just spamming buttons, but taking full advantage of procs and intelligently using your CD's). Other things that can help are buying stims (Resolve Stims to boost your Willpower). Another thing is to make sure your companion has all of his abilities clicked for auto-use (sometimes they are not checked off so they won't use them) and is in healing stance.

It might also help to gain a few levels before fighting that boss. Consider doing some Flashpoints, Warzones, and/or Space missions.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    You should not be having any issues as Infiltration. I would not recommend Balance though. I tried it and was not impressed.

The biggest thing is, like others have said, is upgrade both your gear and your companion's gear (using Commendations to buy level-appropriate mods is a big boon). Once that is done check to make sure your rotation for your spec is correct (not just spamming buttons, but taking full advantage of procs and intelligently using your CD's). Other things that can help are buying stims (Resolve Stims to boost your Willpower). Another thing is to make sure your companion has all of his abilities clicked for auto-use (sometimes they are not checked off so they won't use them) and is in healing stance.

It might also help to gain a few levels before fighting that boss. Consider doing some Flashpoints, Warzones, and/or Space missions.
    One thing I really do not understand is what CD's and procs are. Could you explain that? This is my first MMORPG and I have really not been trying to learn this stuff as I should have. The issues just got worse as I leveled up and got to harder missions. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bpeace4u View Post
    One thing I really do not understand is what CD's and procs are. Could you explain that? This is my first MMORPG and I have really not been trying to learn this stuff as I should have. The issues just got worse as I leveled up and got to harder missions. Thanks!!!
    CDs and procs are special kinds of abilities or spells.

CD means the spell has a cooldown timer, so you can only use once and then have to wait for the timer to finish to use it again. This could be a few seconds or several minutes. The abilities are usually quite powerful, especially the ones you have to wait longer to use again! So to give an example for your situation, something like Deflection could be really handy to help you take less damage for a time.

Procs are a kind of spell that can only be used if an event occurs. So like if you block an attack you can do a counter-attack (I think the Jedi Knight maybe has something like this?). Or perhaps it's something that happens by chance, like you have a 10% chance of triggering it or what not.

Sorry I don't know more about playing a shadow in particular, but if you have the time consider looking over your list of spells and see if there's something you have you aren't using. Also don't forget your herioc moment spell (like some of us are prone to do... >.<). It's very handy.

Good luck!

Still trying to beat him even after leveling up

- - - Updated - - -

I beat him!!!!!

Congratulations bpeace4u, that's awesome!

You may want to check out a guide for PVE for Shadows/Assassins, located here. Goes through the different specs, what kind of rotation they should have, uses for their cooldowns, and even a nice explanation of what the class IS.