Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Connected realms question

    Do i'm missing something ? Apperently blizz is only merging servers 2 by 2? But suppose there 2 very low servers, merging those won't solve anything, won't it?

    And what about unbalanced servers? Any special treatment for those?

  2. #2
    More will come, more will come. A pair of two is being connected with a third. This is all just a testing phase, pretty much.

  3. #3
    They've stated quite firmly that faction balance will not be addressed with the server merges. It looks like they are still testing the technology with a slow roll out.

    The name change thing sucks since all the talk about doing it this way was to preserve names.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

  4. #4
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    10,566
    They've merged one set of three so far, so I think they are going to start merging into pairs in addition to making new pairs.

    So far doesn't look like they are really matching based on faction balance, though. Seems to be solely focused on overall population.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxArleeSimcaElysiaZaelsino

  5. #5
    A common misconception I've been reading here and on the WoW forums is that Blizzard can/will only join 2 realms together. It's kind of obvious that if you join two dead realms together, you will still have a dead realm.

    Some of the realms are so dead Blizzard would have to join 10 (or more) just to get a useable realm.

    Obviously they're going to connect as many as they can to get a high pop realm. The front page of MMO-C right now shows Blizzard already has 4 realms that that will be merged into one, soon.

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans Tharkkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    2,951
    It also takes time. As you see they have a extra long maintenance window when the join happens. I would guess the team that handles the connecting can only do so many realms in one window of maintenance.

  7. #7
    Don't worry, you're the guinea pig if you're one of the servers that's already been "connected".

  8. #8
    Boulderist Bloodscalp Maiev and now Dunemaul, we will have 4 connections. I think theyll halve their effective servers by the time its all over. i think their are like 250 now so down to 125 ish ?
    Last edited by ben-; 2013-10-23 at 10:18 PM.

  9. #9
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    They've stated quite firmly that faction balance will not be addressed with the server merges. It looks like they are still testing the technology with a slow roll out.

    The name change thing sucks since all the talk about doing it this way was to preserve names.
    I'm pretty sure they said it will be taken into account, but not a main point of decision. Subtle difference there.

    Hopefully they test it thoroughly before putting the finalized stamp on it, this isn't something they should screw up in any way.

  10. #10
    Epic! lokithor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    They've merged one set of three so far, so I think they are going to start merging into pairs in addition to making new pairs.

    So far doesn't look like they are really matching based on faction balance, though. Seems to be solely focused on overall population.
    will be a set of 4 come monday

    And Blizzard already said they dont give 2 shits about balance, they just want to get numbers up.

  11. #11
    Bloodsail Admiral Tsundere Pejo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    C eh N eh D eh
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    The name change thing sucks since all the talk about doing it this way was to preserve names.
    Where did you see this?

  12. #12
    Epic! Forgettable's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    1,705
    I don't know why they don't just pair a medium pop realm with a low pop realm. Seems sort of useless to join a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm until you get a medium pop realm.

    So our final coalesced realm list could look like this for example:

    Outland
    Illidan
    Twisting Nether
    Thorium Brotherhood
    Bloodscalp - Hakkar - Emeriss - Taerar - Echsenkessel - Burning Steppes - Kor’gall - Theradras - Dethecus - Detheroc - Auchindoun - Laughing Skull - Hakkar - Aegwynn - Rivendare - Firetree

    Seems absurd.
    Last edited by Forgettable; 2013-10-23 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delti View Post
    If Forgettable knew what he was doing with his keyboard, I would totally kick his ass in dps!
    ^ My guild leader while drunk.

  13. #13
    Herald of the Titans Tharkkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    2,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    They've stated quite firmly that faction balance will not be addressed with the server merges. It looks like they are still testing the technology with a slow roll out.

    The name change thing sucks since all the talk about doing it this way was to preserve names.
    If someone is telling you that you could lose your character name, they are wrong.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I don't know why they don't just pair a medium pop realm with a low pop realm. Seems sort of useless to join a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm until you get a medium pop realm.
    For testing 1+1, 2+1, 3+1, etc they will have the least impact on the player base by using low pop servers. Less pissed off people about server maintenance...even if it's a good thing.

  14. #14
    Epic! Forgettable's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    For testing 1+1, 2+1, 3+1, etc they will have the least impact on the player base by using low pop servers. Less pissed off people about server maintenance...even if it's a good thing.
    But why do they even need to do more than double server connections? Doesn't it just over complicate things? I understand if it's for testing purposes, but the end result that those test connections are working towards doesn't look ideal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delti View Post
    If Forgettable knew what he was doing with his keyboard, I would totally kick his ass in dps!
    ^ My guild leader while drunk.

  15. #15
    be thankful they are merging any! they have not even started merging in EU...
    Too cool for a signature

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I don't know why they don't just pair a medium pop realm with a low pop realm. Seems sort of useless to join a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm to a low pop realm until you get a medium pop realm.

    So our final coalesced realm list could look like this for example:

    Outland
    Illidan
    Twisting Nether
    Thorium Brotherhood
    Bloodscalp - Hakkar - Emeriss - Taerar - Echsenkessel - Burning Steppes - Kor’gall - Theradras - Dethecus - Detheroc - Auchindoun - Laughing Skull - Hakkar - Aegwynn - Rivendare - Firetree

    Seems absurd.

    There aren't enough populated realms to not make it absurd. Even a medium pop realm could be connected with 5 low pop realms for a total of 6.

  17. #17
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,323
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    be thankful they are merging any! they have not even started merging in EU...
    Be thankful they start with the US, rather they screw it up there than here

    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    There aren't enough populated realms to not make it absurd. Even a medium pop realm could be connected with 5 low pop realms for a total of 6.
    I really hope they don't just merge everything into high pop realms.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2013-10-23 at 10:30 PM.

  18. #18
    No worries the speed they use now by 7.0 when its really needed cause wow is down to 500k players every realms will be connected

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    Where did you see this?
    Your name is automatically appended with your original server name. Chat looks downright ridiculous and spammy with old realm names and it's jarring when you talk to NPCs since your old realm name may not fit at all with your character name.

    They should offer free name changes to the merged players that would prefer to change a letter or two rather than this nonsense.

    But I guess if you want to keep your name clean your best bet is to transfer to one of the high pop realms that won't be merged.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    They've stated quite firmly that faction balance will not be addressed with the server merges. It looks like they are still testing the technology with a slow roll out.

    The name change thing sucks since all the talk about doing it this way was to preserve names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    I'm pretty sure they said it will be taken into account, but not a main point of decision. Subtle difference there.

    Hopefully they test it thoroughly before putting the finalized stamp on it, this isn't something they should screw up in any way.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Q. Which realms will be connected as Connected Realms?

    A. We haven’t decided yet which realms will be made part of a Connected Realm, or which other realms they’ll be connected to, though realms will only be connected to other realms of the same type (e.g. PvE to PvE, PvP to PvP, RP to RP). In the end, we’re considering a number of factors, including Battlegroup, population, and faction balance. (Source)

    The caveat to doing this is there's no guarantee that once those realms were connected, that the balance wouldn't skew again. We'll see how it goes though. (Source)

    I just want to caution people that faction balance may not be the ultimate reason for a connection, so I don't want to say it's weighing anything heavily and have people unhappy if it doesn't play out that way. It's a bit of a slippery item. (Source)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •