Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is this computer good?

Alright so a friend is offering me his gaming desktop, it's quite a good offer but I would like to hear if it's good and can run all games in high/ultra.

Specs:

Cabinet: Cooler Master : Storm Stryker (Big Tower)
    Motherboard: MSI Millitary Class II
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k - 3.7 Ghz
    Graphics card: Nvidia Gainward GTX 570 - 1.25Gb DDR5
    Ram: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance (High Module)
    Power supply: Corsair HX650 Modular
    Hard drive: 2 Western Digital 500Gb og 1Tb
    Fans: 4 120mm Cooler master og 1 NZXT ( 2 white and 2 Blue), 1 - 140mm white, 1 230mm white.

I have money enough to upgrade the graphics card / other parts.
    He wants around $1000 for it.

High yes, ultra no. But...

The parts are good-ish, but all old and some also quite outdated (like the graphics card). At $1000 it's a total rip-off, at $500 it would be decent (but still not great) deal. Computers are like cars, it loses 30% of it's value when you get it out of the store's doors and after that 10% per year.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Vesseblah is right on. It's a complete rip-off by your "friend". You can get a completely new and much better PC for that money, and especially considering you're planning to upgrade graphics card etc., it is a very, very bad deal for you. Like Vesse is hinting, I would not even grab that PC for 500$, because even at that price, it is not a very good deal for a machine with parts that were new around 2 years ago.

Deleted
    Based on the last setup-of-the-month post from the frontpage, it seems you could buy current day equivalents to what is in your friend's PC for the $1000 he's asking for his old hardware.

You can get the same or better performance with that money when you buy new machine. "I have money to upgrade..." - Definitely put the money on a new machine. Your friends machine is worth around $500-600 used.

It looks like he's trying to charge you the price it was years ago when all the parts were brand new. For $1000, you can make a much better computer, I would pass.

Sandybridge 2500K good-ish, old and outdated? Is haswell that big of a jump in CPU power?

Damn u guys(#2 & #3) gotta have very cheap pc parts where u live.
    Buy that (660Ti and 3570k instead of 2500k/560 which are expired but on same level) would cost 1500$~ new.
    Getting it at 500$ is damn stealing it (case and psu alone is 400$).

Id buy it for for just under 1000$ and buy a new gpu soon depending on what you want to play.
    It will run a lot on high, if you dont care for steady 60/120fps its even better =D
    Getting like a 7970 / 770 would make it a very nice system.

#7 No, for most ppl its still not worth the upgrade (haswell is around 15% faster).
    Last edited by BergErr; 2013-08-06 at 11:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the sake of reinforcement, it's not worth it. Maybe for $500 at most, but even then, those are 2 year old parts, so you won't get much mileage out of it. Brand new computers priced with the best bang for your buck go for about $1200-1300 (not including input/output devices). That's about all you need to spend if you're not running anything higher than HD resolution (1920x1080) which is most people and you should get about 4 or 5 years out of it (judging by my computer buying history).

Deleted
    No just don't buy that, it's a complete ripoff. With the 1000$ you'll give him he'll go and buy a new one 2x better then the ones you bot off him.

Deleted
    Intel Core i5 2500k and GTX 570 for $1,000 - what a joke!

Deleted
    As all the guys already told you, do not buy it. It is a totally rip off.
    With 1000$ you can get a brand new almost high end PC that will last you another 4 years.

Deleted
    I hope you're from Australia, because for US-$ 1000, he's totally screwing you.

Simple.

If you want to get ripped off and not get your money's worth, go ahead and buy it.
    If you're buying it as a favor to / for him, go ahead and buy it.

If YOU want your money's worth, buy parts and build your own computer, you can get something much much better for a little bit higher price if you live in the US.

I'm with the rest of the people posting here though, that is NOT a "friend" price, really!

- - - Updated - - -

In the country I live, putting together a high end gaming computer with a good monitor on top of that, full package would cost me around 2500 US dollars.
    Ya, I live in an expensive european country, no, not the UK.

2-3 years down the line if I decided I wanted to sell it I wouldn't even get half that for it, half would be 1250 dollars.
    I surely wouldn't be able to get that if I sold all of it, as no one would buy it.
    New parts and technology enters the scene and the hardware you got is used, simple as that.

My current system is 4 years old, back when I bought it it was a decent gaming setup, perhaps I could get 400-500 dollars for it if I sold it today, but that is from the value of my country.
    Field Marshal, YUH, 'nuff said.
    /bonk

Quote Originally Posted by BergErr View Post
    Getting it at 500$ is damn stealing it (case and psu alone is 400$).
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119260
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139012
    170+110 = 280 as brand spanking new, nowhere near 400, and we're talking about used stuff now

Case is worth nothing unless you're dead set on getting one. For example I think it looks fugly and I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Oh, that reminds me, I upgraded my graphics card a few months back.
    Bought it off a friend, he bought the card brand new for around 350 dollars a couple of years ago.
    I bought it off him for 50 dollars, he was just happy to get rid of it.
    That's around 85-86% off from new price.
    Also what I would call a real buddy price, I've done the same over the years to friends of mine.

That's all just my 5 cents anyway.
    /bonk

It's a decent machine, but not worth anywhere near $1000. $500 at best.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Also, buying something used, to get rid of parts to upgrade it further, wasting even more money.
    Seriously, why bother?
    If you're rich, sure!
    That's all I'm gonna say on this subject.
    /bonk

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119260
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139012
    170+110 = 280 as brand spanking new, nowhere near 400, and we're talking about used stuff now

Case is worth nothing unless you're dead set on getting one. For example I think it looks fugly and I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it.
    https://www.inet.se/produkt/6911363/...0-gold-modular
    https://www.inet.se/produkt/6901571/...er-stryker-vit
    Google says 380$.

And if you pay for the look of the case your doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunisan View Post
    Simple.

If you want to get ripped off and not get your money's worth, go ahead and buy it.
    If you're buying it as a favor to / for him, go ahead and buy it.

If YOU want your money's worth, buy parts and build your own computer, you can get something much much better for a little bit higher price if you live in the US.

I'm with the rest of the people posting here though, that is NOT a "friend" price, really!

- - - Updated - - -

In the country I live, putting together a high end gaming computer with a good monitor on top of that, full package would cost me around 2500 US dollars.
    Ya, I live in an expensive european country, no, not the UK.

2-3 years down the line if I decided I wanted to sell it I wouldn't even get half that for it, half would be 1250 dollars.
    I surely wouldn't be able to get that if I sold all of it, as no one would buy it.
    New parts and technology enters the scene and the hardware you got is used, simple as that.

My current system is 4 years old, back when I bought it it was a decent gaming setup, perhaps I could get 400-500 dollars for it if I sold it today, but that is from the value of my country.
    Can't be that expensive, here in Sweden u wont get near high end (hope u dont count s1150/1155 as high end) with only 2500$ if u want to include a screen.
    ex: a 780 alone is 900$ and u wont for sure get a s2011 setup for <1000$

The fact that ivy bridge and haswell didn't change much give SB systems good value. A SB system will still be good when ivy/haswell is, next big jump is possibly in 2015 with skylake and ddr4.

Quote Originally Posted by BergErr View Post
    The fact that ivy bridge and haswell didn't change much give SB systems good value. A SB system will still be good when ivy/haswell is, next big jump is possibly in 2015 with skylake and ddr4.
    It has got nothing to do with how big performance jump there is between SB and Haswell. Computers lose value incredibly fast and if you're asking for nearly full price for over two years old used shit you're ripping off, it's that simple.
    Trolling should be.