Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Possible terrorist attack?

Im surprised that no one is talking about this here on mmo champ, that or i missed the thread.

But for the last, i dunno, 2 or 3 days, the news have been reporting that the US launched a global warning to expect an Al Qaeda attack, till the end of August tops.

Today it was reported that the US closed 11 embassies throughout the middle east and Africa in preparation for this supposed attack.

Now, i don't want to put my tin foil hat on yet, but ever since i gained conscious and interest in these matters, i really can't remember the last time that we (im european btw) received a warning about a major terrorist attack.

The usual "there will be a bomb in X place" sure, but something of the magnitude the media is making this out to be...? I don't think so.

The only sources i can find on short notice, besides some portuguese papers, is this http://www.euronews.com/2013/08/05/t...ntil-saturday/

15+ Year Old Account
    It's been on the news for 3 days and I guess untill something happens (hopefully not) there is not much to talk about really.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

No telling but if I were you average joe terrorist I would probably reschedule

I've been following this, albeit there really isn't much real information to follow.

Does anyone else find the timing of this convenient, given the recent scrutiny of the NSA and the Snowden situation?

*adjusts tinfoil hat for better protection*

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkk View Post
    I've been following this, albeit there really isn't much real information to follow.

Does anyone else find the timing of this convenient, given the recent scrutiny of the NSA and the Snowden situation?

*adjusts tinfoil hat for better protection*
    Since UK, Germany, France and maybe others also closed their installations it would make no sense.
    Not to mention nothing would be gained, the Snowden case is on ice for up to a year unless something happens.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    You know why ? 9/11 anniversary thats why.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    No, it is 15 years since the bombing of the embassy in Nairobo or smt.

Mass prison breaks in Iraqi, Libya, Pakistani. AQ's #2 killed in drone strike last month. End of Ramadan. I see the potential.
    Last edited by Olo; 2013-08-05 at 01:29 PM.

Deleted
    If that were the case then why would the alert end at the end of August?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    If that were the case then why would the alert end at the end of August?
    Because everybody will think they were right and most will forget ^

Deleted
    Because everybody will think they were right and most will forget ^
    ......what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    No, it is 15 years since the bombing of the embassy in Nairobo or smt.
    Unfortunately, every year seems to be an anniversary of something shitty happening :-/

Deleted
    After all the hate on NSA they needed something to justify thier existence, this is the most creative thing they could think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadde111 View Post
    After all the hate on NSA they needed something to justify thier existance, this is the most creative thing they could tink of.
    Yup, and we got the major European powers and Interpol to join in with our conspiracy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    Yup, and we got the major European powers and Interpol to join in with our conspiracy.
    European powers???? Interpol?

A handfull of US embassies closed for 2-3 days and even much lower number of "other" embassies in total.

And to add, its in areas where they probably close the embassies a day here or there simply becuase its that kind of an area.

"I think it’s very important that we do take the right kind of planning as we come to the close of Ramadan. We know that’s always an interesting time for terrorists. …"

Yeah... i dont think this guy knows what Ramadan is.
    Last edited by mmoc30fc4496f6; 2013-08-05 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadde111 View Post
    European powers????
    Britain, France and Germany are all closing facilities in Yemen.
    Interpol?
    “With suspected al Qaeda involvement in several of the breakouts which led to the escape of hundreds of terrorists and other criminals, the Interpol alert requests the organization’s 190 member countries’ assistance in order to determine whether any of these recent events are coordinated or linked,”

A handfull of US embassies closed for 2-3 days and even much lower number of "other" embassies in total.
    And to add, its in areas where they probably close the embassies a day here or there simply becuase its that kind of an area.
    22 U.S. embassies and consulates are closing which is completely unprecedented

"I think it’s very important that we do take the right kind of planning as we come to the close of Ramadan. We know that’s always an interesting time for terrorists. …"

Yeah... i dont think this guy knows what Ramadan is.
    There's a long history of increased terrorist attacks near the end of ramadan.

Deleted
    US massive surveillance program was quite recently exposed by Snowden and suddenly they managed to expose a major terrorist threat, strange coincidence don't you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Im probably gonna get some flak for this, but all of the major sucessfull terrorists attacks that I know of had one thing in common: surprise. There was no speculation on the news, no warnings, no nothing, and they happened.

And now the US launches a global warning that a terrorist attack might happen, the news goes somewhat crazy over it....is it me or is there something fishy going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Haftepaff View Post
    US massive surveillance program was quite recently exposed by Snowden and suddenly they managed to expose a major terrorist threat, strange coincidence don't you think?
    No because no one gives a fuck about spying on the rest of the world. If they wanted a justification it would need to be a domestic threat.

So in essence, tin foil hats protects you from terrorist attacks?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance