Dual monitor question

Okay so recently i bought myself a new monitor, a 27Inch BenQ, upgraded my old 20inch Samsung. Now I got several questions I could not exactly find and hope anyone here can answer them, don't wanna try it myself before asking incase something can go wrong..

if its needed my card is a MSI GTX 760

1. Am I able to use both of these monitors for a Dual set up? or do they have to be the exact same for it to work?

2. I use a DVI cord on my 27Inch, I have no other, but I got a VGA cord I will be using on the 20inch. Can I use 2 different cords with both the monitors or do they have to be the same cord?

That's pretty much it, anything else I need to know about this would be greatly appreciated

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    To answer your questions a little more simply.

Yes you can use 2 different cables, this is not an issue at all.

Yes both monitors can have different resolutions, however by default having a different background on each is not possible. (is possible with a 3rd party application)

You can setup the monitors in a clone setup (secondary monitor shows the exact same thing as the first monitor, essentially becoming a clone) or you can have them in a span setup which will essentially allow you to have 1 very large desktop surface across multiple monitor your mouse will move seamlessly off the edge of one monitor on to the edge of another, things can be dragged across them. While gaming the 2 monitors will function independently.

If your intent was to have both of them function in a single game to expand the playable area of the game this (atleast at last research I have done on the issue and for wow) required both monitors to be running in the same resolution.

Hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions.

I just mainly want it so my smaller monitor will have my browser up and the main one my games / whatever I am focusing on the most, reading your guys' replies it seems I am able to do this so thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes just plug both of them in to your card, and configure extended desktop. Make the 27-inch the primary one and that's about it.