Thread: Prot pala 4 set

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacebot View Post
    snip
    Did you use focused shield glyph? Or did the shield cleave the other dummies? AS damage seems rather high - without any GC proccs. Usually with such a high SoTR uptime, shouldn't SoTR be higher up on damage as AS is without GC proccs? At least it is on live in most of my fights with high SoTR uptime.

So am I getting confused here or did I just overlook a AS buff / SoTR damage nerf? Or some weird vengeance scaling with AS having the higher base damage?
    Last edited by Riemu2k3; 2013-08-19 at 10:36 AM.
    RL, GM and DK Tank for Guild redacted, EU-Gorgonnash
    Chars: Blood DK / Prot Paladin

Battle Tag: Riemu#2789

Deleted
    that was without focused shield glyph indeed. So that does inflate the overall dps/AS part of the damage. But that just makes the 4p even more powerful.

So basically we're looking at a patchwerk rotation of"
    ShotR
    ShotR
    ShotR
    HW, ShotR, HW, ShotR, repeat til dead.

However, if/when DP procs, we need to prioritize ShotR > HW, so as not to consume BOG stacks, right?

I've not tested this on PTR, but suppose I will tonight, just wondering how it interacts with DP procs/chain procs.

Also, since HW states it does not interact with EF, this means we will be "forced" into SS still? Or simply that HW with EF talented will cast a "normal WOG" (without a DOT component, as it were?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Didn't test what would happen with EF. It gets quite tricky to get a proper rotation going once you get a few DP procs in a row since you have your regular rotation on the GCD and then two different off the GCD abilities to time.

Yeah that's what I figured would be the case. Which only makes use of EF more....interesting I'd think.

Although, if you DO consume your BOG stacks somehow (using EF, shouldn't be possible using HW), you'd have a quick re-stack period anyhow with all of the procs going off.

Still pretty torn on what to do come 5.4....
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

To copy Slootbag's post on MT forums regarding 4p and EF over SS:

Quote Originally Posted by Slootbag
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroom
    my arguements against it are:

EF does not Prevent damage. EF will always push up your TMI!
    you need HoPo for EF. which costs SoTR uptime
    you use your BoG stacks. which makes you lose an a Oh-$hit! button.
    you aren't as free to use a WoG on your ratemembers to save someones live. or help heal the raid for a moment when your healers are busy.

as I said. I see SoI going into 70-80% overheal. I can't see how another HoT like EF will do more good than harm here.

even if the raw healing is bigger (which it sure is). But that is just NOT an argument. It's like if a healers says: guys I want to play World rank 1 on WoL please. Everybody stand in the fire now! so i don't produce overhealing....

there is an old saying between healers. If you play world rank 1 as a healer. it is not that you are the best in the world. But your raid is probably one of the worst.

I had initial reservations against EF too, but I've been testing around with it quite a lot lately, and with 4PT16, it's quite potent.

TMI, is just what it is ultimately, a model. Albeit a very powerful one, nothing can ever replicate an actual raiding environment. While I always fancy Theck's work, to me it is to be used as a great guide, not as the Holy Paladin Bible of there being only 1 correct answer (unless there's massive disparity), I'm hoping he agrees with me on that.
    I'll try to give my viewpoint on your counterarguments of EF for the others too, see if that stirs a bit of discussion.

You need 0 HoPo for EF with 4PT16 as I said, which makes the set all the more attractive (among other, possibly broken, reasons). Did I mentioned the free EF/WoG cast also has a chance to produce DP? The argument for EF is indeed made weaker without the 4PT16, but is not null.

The BoG stacks was initially something I was concerned about too with the fishing argument for 3 BoG 4PT16. But the actual use for EF isn't nearly as invasive for BoG stacks as would a fishing game be. With Haste levels where they will be (and frankly already are), and DP on top of it (since the 4PT16 strengthens DP over HA further), you get BoG in no time it seems now within that 30s window between EF reapplications. Every fight I tested it on I was never in a concern of "Ah crap, I really needed a BoG heal, don't have it, and will now die because of it". Also not to mention that it is quite likely that an EF just ticked or is about to tick to make that further less likely, don't forget you still have the EF cast at your disposal, and regardless of BoG or not, heals for quite a bit at appropriate vengeance levels.

You are as free to use EF as you would WoG on someone in the raid to help them heal.

The facts are in the information, and there is not necessarily a clear winner for SS or EF (imo). Everyone's job is to take the given information and use it skillfully to assess what would be best for their play style etc. But EF is certainly a contending choice now, and that tier can't just be ignored anymore by crowning SS the clear winner.
    I understand there's a level of comfort and skepticism, after we've been using SS for the entire expansion, and I love my SS too, but I don't think that's a just reason to blind ourselves to potential advantages in other areas.

Now let's also be fair and mention some perks for EF over SS, since we spent everything defending why EF isn't better for now.
    -EF scales with Mastery and Haste, and we need a new stat after reachable Haste cap (Stam is another option), SS does not scale with anything but mastery for secondary stats.

-EF benefits from crit as each individual HoT has its own chance to crit, and makes it so that we can in fact benefit from all 3 stats on the amp trinket.

-EF costs nothing with 4PT16 and can proc DP if you use DP.

-Each EF ticks for ~1.5 to 2.5 time of a bigger heal than SS, and ticks twice as often. The amount of EF healing per SS absorb is in the range of 3.1-4 times. Just as an example (and keeping the proc numbers rounded for simplicity). At 250k vengeance (typical 25 man vengeance, give or take a bit with the new Vengeance nerfs but harder hitting bosses), we get a 102k SS absorb every 4 seconds, or we can get a 164k EF tick every 2 seconds, which can also crit. Now I always say, and very much agree with, absorbs are always better than reactive heals after the damage has been taken. But this idea needs to be analyzed deeper, primarily with health pools, of which we will have big ones since we have a fairly high Stam multiplier (25%), and 2 of our 5 viable trinkets this tier are stam based, with one being a general BiS contender (keyword being general). If you have a small health pool, and are often spiking for 90% of your health, then an absorb in this situation is far more beneficial than a tick heal, because you are very much at risk of dying, and the visual spike causes all kinds of problems with healing/smoothing. However as your health pool grows, so do according spikes in health. What was a 90% spike before turns into a 30% (exaggerated numbers) spike instead, and to me tick healing here starts to become stronger than absorbs in raw numbers, as there is also no visual emergency of you dying. I'm aware it's also how often we overheal with it etc, and that will vary fight to fight. But for what it's worth, any good player needs to analyze the current tier on a boss by boss basis, rather than make an sweeping generalizations about SS vs EF. It make very well be, that EF is better for some, and SS for others. It depends on a lot of factors.
    The aforementioned EF numbers are for Mastery levels around 13-14%, something that will increase with the coming tier.
    EF indeed doesn't prevent damage, but let's consider a very simple example here barring outside support. A boss melees for 350k every 2 seconds. Based on the above numbers.
    With SS: Swing 1 gets reduced to 248k, and Swing 2 hits for the full 350k
    With EF: Swing 1 hits for 350k and you heal for 164k (so net 186k damage), Swing 2 is the exact same, since EF will tick every 2s.

even if the raw healing is bigger (which it sure is). But that is just NOT an argument.
    I disagree, in fact, it is a very good argument considering other mandatory factors. Not just size, but frequency too. If SS prevented me from ever going below 90% health like was earlier suggested, then sure SS all the way. But that's not the World (of Warcraft) we live in anymore. 102k absorb every 4s is frankly pretty puny considering some of the things waiting in SoOl, and frankly I want the highest self output possible because there's a lot of fights/situations in SoO with a constant and frequent damage intake, not to mention magic damage. We can also just peek at each boss.
    Immerseus - heroic has dots/your bound to eat void zones sometimes too, but relatively tame overall.
    Protectors - Constant damage if you tank Rook/caster chick, same with He due to poisons and fast swings. Transitions are packed with extra damage from multiple sources (aside He's).
    Norushen - Pulsing AoE the whole fight, bolts to intercept, adds pulsing, pools to soak
    Sha - A bit more tame but will ramp up in aoe as the fight drags and pride increases
    Galakras - Multiple mobs constantly hitting you, often.
    Juggernaut - Heavy fire DoT, 2nd phase AoE pulses, lines if you get it.
    Shaman - a mess of magic and physical swings, often
    Nazgrim - a bit more tame, generally just melees are dangerous with sunder
    Malkorok - Constant healing for shield needed, no realistic cap on it when you are tanking him
    Spoils - adds constantly hitting you frequently
    Thok - breaths/aoe/dots ahoy on the tanks
    Blackfuse - fire/lasers/aoe and hard hitting melee
    Paragons - everything happens here, magic, double melee mobs hitting you often. too many sources of damage to list
    Garrosh - adds/dot/aoe pulses
    Again if you have the appropriate health pool (which we will even default by gear ilvl increase) to take all of this abuse, and there will be a lot of it frequently, I personally opt for the reasonably higher personal HPS throughput. I don't think you'll be seeing nearly as much overhealing as you think. From my testing I was having 40% range and never higher than 60%, or lower than 20%. And keep in mind, a lot of it often was from the initial heal just reapplying EF every 30s, not the HoT component.

-EF has more effective off healing for the raid than WoG, as you can also use it to blanket members, which helps with high vengeance.

-EF frees up a GCD every ~30s.

It is also worth mentioning as a side note. There is currently a build for 4PT16 involving Harsh Words which frankly is overpowered and is likely to get nerfed. If however it goes live, then the argument for EF becomes moot, as Harsh Words does not function with EF.

Very good points. I admittedly didn't consider how spike size would play out in terms of health pools, as I assumed that we'd see a (relatively) linear increase in both. With what folks are saying about V-levels in PTR testing being quite a bit lower than expected/anticipated, this does cause SS to scale more poorly than EF (given it has fewer scalars, as well as the nerfs).

Since we'll almost definitely be using at least 1 stam trinket AND the fact that the amp trinket boosts all scalars of EF (as well as the crit-healing), that does sway a bit in EF's favor. If we see a more pointed increase in HP levels (relative to spike levels), that's another swing for EF > SS.

Still, though, this really becomes a discussion only upon getting t16 4pc (IMO), since otherwise the opportunity and resource cost of EF vs SS is too great before that.

Now, the only question is do we try and coin tier, or trinkets first?
    20k and counting...

I would probably go trinkets first, cause OP trinket with T15 4p is some good, once you get that then coin T16 tier?

I really wish i could get on Maintankadin to read those kinds of things :/ Did the registration process but still havent recieved a confirmation email after nearly a week now.

EDIT: thanks Nairobi, now I feel stupid >_<
    Last edited by slondon; 2013-08-19 at 09:30 PM.

Can read them without being registered. Just need an account to post.
    20k and counting...

Great reasoning from Sloot...feeling less shitty about the SS nerfs now.

Slightly confused about
    EF scales with Mastery and Haste, and we need a new stat after reachable Haste cap (Stam is another option), SS does not scale with anything but mastery for secondary stats.
    Was under impression that SS does scale with haste.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Slightly confused about

Was under impression that SS does scale with haste.
    99% sure it was a typo, as he is referring to SS haste scaling.

Also, FWIW, EF benefits from Crit (both innately and per tick). Not that we'd really be stacking that (well, some of us may), but it's worth mentioning.
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    99% sure it was a typo, as he is referring to SS haste scaling.

Also, FWIW, EF benefits from Crit (both innately and per tick). Not that we'd really be stacking that (well, some of us may), but it's worth mentioning.
    EF benefits from crit as each individual HoT has its own chance to crit, and makes it so that we can in fact benefit from all 3 stats on the amp trinket.
    O'rly ? :P

And yes that's probably a typo.
    However I'd argue that SS does benefit from mastery albeit indirectly (which is not to say that EF doesn't benefit), but the more dmg reduction % we have, the more our damage absorb shields are worth.

I feel like you're quoting me both times, but TBH I can't remember if I wrote that or not ><

And, while you're not incorrect about that, I feel that you can make the same scalar argument about stamina or armor as well, and that it applies to EF in a similar/congruent pattern, which means we can kind of assume it as a baseline. Whereas EF literally scales with mastery inasmuch as it directly affects its power AND provides the semi-tangible benefit you're listing above (as it, the more EH we have, the less that a spike truly threatens us, meaning that we can allow for more time between hits to get re-healed, which is what EF excels at).

Still, I'll be taking SS until at least 4t16, barring some specific fight/niche use.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I hopped on PTR to play around with all of this just now. Granted my haste was a good bit lower than on live (by around 2k), and I had no UI or TMW set up for tracking buffs, so things were a bit rusty.

Anyhow, in testing the t16 4pc tonight, I was unable to have Harsh Words cast for free without consuming HoPo. The buff would not get consumed upon using HW on target dummies, but self-cast WOGs would still consume. As a result, my dmg breakdown looks nothing like what was posted on the previous page. Did it get hotfixed? Or am I fundamentally missing something? Kinda hoping for a hotfix, since that was seriously OP...plus I'd look less dumb that way.

Other than that, I must say I am more of a fan of the 4pc than I originally though, but still not thrilled, as RNG will be RNG and not proc for some streaks. Still, the BOG downtime isn't as bad as I anticipated.

Swapping in EF and glyph of WOG, I actually enjoyed the playstyle and had ~35% uptime on the glyph. However, it seemed that I was constantly overwriting EF's when fishing for procs, which seems wasteful. Even with that, though, I was sitting at well over 75-80% uptime with no GC procs (obviously), so I must say that it has some serious potential.

I'm not sure, though, if the 4pc can be gamed for DP fishing by casting a sub-3 HoPo WOG (since the buff gives you a "behaves as if 3-HoPo" stance). I'm sure someone more familiar with this has tested, but from seat-of-the-pants feel, I got more DP procs from 3-HoPo WOG/EFs than I did from 1-HoPo casts.

I'm not feeling near as bad about losing t15 4pc now. I'm not sure how great t16 will be for tanking (over the reliability of HoPo influx from the 25sec CD on DivProt from t15), but on paper fore pure ShotR uptime, it seems pretty impressive.
    Last edited by Nairobi; 2013-08-20 at 02:45 AM.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    O'rly ? :P

And yes that's probably a typo.
    However I'd argue that SS does benefit from mastery albeit indirectly (which is not to say that EF doesn't benefit), but the more dmg reduction % we have, the more our damage absorb shields are worth.
    EF also scales with mastery in the exact same way though. A 100k heal is worth more if you have 50% damage reduction compared to 45% damage reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    I feel like you're quoting me both times, but TBH I can't remember if I wrote that or not ><
    That was a direct quote from Sloot's post that i was quoting before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    EF also scales with mastery in the exact same way though. A 100k heal is worth more if you have 50% damage reduction compared to 45% damage reduction.
    "Which is not to say that it doesn't "

Overall i'd still like to see how it plays out on paper once it goes live, knowing blizzard they still have plenty of time to fuck everything up.

Deleted
    "Which is not to say that it doesn't "

Overall i'd still like to see how it plays out on paper once it goes live, knowing blizzard they still have plenty of time to fuck everything up.
    Geez sorry, I am to exhausted to even read today apparently, totally didnt see you wrote that

Deleted
    Seems like they 'fixed' harsh words :/

Deleted
    So that means that we will be playing with WoG glyph instead and spamming WoG as often as possible to fish for DP procs instead.