Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    I wasnt even talking about this case in particular. Just saying it would be weird if the police had to explain to the suspect what they're doing there before they have them with them
    Well, I think it makes more sense when you realize police can't enter your home to arrest you unless they have a reason first, and that they must supply that reason before they can come into your house. (whether it's to a judge to get a warrant, or to the home owner to get consent to enter) If they have a warrant, they can say, "I have a warrant." That doesn't take very long. Again, usually, if they have a warrant, they'll break the door down and there won't be any asking involved.

I think the situations tend to work out a lot more poorly when you must let any police officer into your home if they want to come in (not part of our laws) allow them to arrest you first, and then explain that you were obstructing justice by not opening the door fast enough when they wanted to come in. That's kinda the chicken and egg problem for me. If the cops were there for no reason in the first place, there was no 'justice' being obstructed, hence no crime was committed at any time, except the ones being perpetrated by the police. (breaking and entering, false arrest, battery, etc)

So again to reiterate, the only time police are asking for permission to enter somebody's home is when they have no legal reason to be there. If they have the warrant, they don't ask for permission. If they don't have the warrant, that means they're fishing (trying to invent) a reason - which most likely won't hold up in court, but does effectively terrorize and harass their intended target, and also usually means they spend time in jail for doing nothing wrong. So mission accomplished, laws broken, police 'win', everybody else loses.

Again, if somebody wants to be clever, there are exceptions to the warrant requirement for entering a home - but it requires an "emergency situation", or clear open evidence that a crime has been committed in every example that I'm aware of. Police in our country are not at the "mercy" of "criminal rights." They arrest more people than any other country in the world, and I don't think it's because our country has more criminals than anywhere else.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2013-08-08 at 02:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    When police have a warrant to enter a house that they think has drugs in it, they don't knock. They don't ask permission. They break the door down with a battering ram, shotguns, and stun grenades.
    And end up shooting something or someone.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Saying that I'd of popped down opened the door and gone, 'whats up pals this is number x not the one you are yelling. Now if you don't mind I'm going to pop back to bed, peace.'
    You probably would've gotten slammed on the ground and cuffed before finishing the sentence.
    Last edited by mmoc68ceb3652c; 2013-08-08 at 03:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Because my personal life isn't dictated by some 200 year old document I guess? I don't know any way to describe it that isn't demeaning...

It's not worth my time to bullshit with police knocking on my door at 2am. Reason #1) I likely want to go back to bed. Reason #2) If they do have the wrong address, chances are they -need- to get to the right one. So, I will draw them a damn map if they need it. It's completely irrational to not answer the door to identified uniformed police officers...if you're really concerned, you can do what was suggested and call 9-1-1 to confirm.

It's not losing my backbone so much as it is common sense...
    To this day I am yet to understand the American fascination/hard-on for the founding fathers and the constitution.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite part is when the dumbass cops find out the brothers there are 20 and 23 and ask if they are twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kame Guru View Post
    To this day I am yet to understand the American fascination/hard-on for the founding fathers and the constitution.
    It's a beautifully written document. It's the basis for all of our laws, and is what gives US citizens their freedoms. It's a shame more don't follow it.
    Last edited by urasim; 2013-08-08 at 04:16 PM.

it's a an amazing document, originally written for the purpose of limiting the government, with the intent of preventing things like tyranny.
    Last edited by zhero; 2013-08-08 at 06:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    It's a beautifully written document. It's the basis for all of our laws, and is what gives US citizens their freedoms. It's a shame more don't follow it.
    Minor nitpick, but it's rather important. The constitution doesn't 'give' anyone rights, instead it restrains the federal government from infringing on these natural-born rights.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    And here is the strangest thing of all, you blindly follow a document that is basically out-dated for modern society. Sure, it has some pretty good concepts but not many first world countries in the world require a piece of paper to tell them what is good and bad for it citizens, nor do they worship the opinions of people who died 200+ years ago like it was gospel. Most countries also do not need a piece of paper to prevent tyranny, but the will of the people.

And here is the strangest thing of all, you blindly follow a document that is basically out-dated for modern society. Sure, it has some pretty good concepts but not many first world countries in the world require a piece of paper to tell them what is good and bad for it citizens, nor do they worship the opinions of people who died 200+ years ago like it was gospel. Most countries also do not need a piece of paper to prevent tyranny, but the will of the people.
    I don't think that's true... Most civilized countries seem to have a constitution, after all. It's the very reason Egypt so desperately wants one.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Yeah, I figured that one would come up. I'm sure there's special cases, but if the cops came to banging on my door at 2am at the wrong address, I'd bring my ID to the door, cooperate and open it up and show it to them. Why antagonize them...not worth it (for all involved...).
    Pretty much this. The way people overreact, hate police and play victim is a far bigger problem than police abusing power or making mistakes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I don't think that's true... Most civilized countries seem to have a constitution, after all. It's the very reason Egypt so desperately wants one.
    That's why I said most first world countries (basing this off treatment of people and the power they have over the government w/o requiring intervention from someone else). I also never said that they don't have one, but rather that now the aren't necessary.

Deleted
    That's why I said most first world countries (basing this off treatment of people and the power they have over the government w/o requiring intervention from someone else). I also never said that they don't have one, but rather that now the aren't necessary.
    The people don't really have much power over the government. Yes, it's more than in some middle-eastern dictatorship, but it's still not much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    The people don't really have much power over the government. Yes, it's more than in some middle-eastern dictatorship, but it's still not much.
    I think we can accept that governments are flawed by human nature and some people join for greed and power. The issue with that is that people vote for them. People also have power over the government by being able to dictate who is in power.