Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Movies] Enders Game discussion thread (movie)

Who is excited about this movie? I haven't read the books, but it looks epic to me.

I looked through 5 pages of threads, and didn't see any thread on this, so i decided to make one. If one already exists please delete.

Please don't suck, Please don't suck.

I've read Ender's Game maybe 5-6 times. The rest of the series 3 times, and the Shadow Series twice. I'm liking what I'm seeing in the trailers, but like most trailers as of late... They reveal a lot of plot points.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by catspoir View Post
    Please don't suck, Please don't suck.
    Harrison Ford actually looks totally epic in the trailers. I also have enjoyed all of the kids moves as well. Hugo, and The boy in the striped pajamas were both very good.

Yeah, there are arguments from the purists that believe it should be by the book. The actors that are in the movie are much much older than the children in the book. That may cause distractions, especially if they try to add a frakkin love story to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the first book, second book was meh, third book pissed me off so much I stopped reading it. I really, really hope they don't fucker this up, as the first book definitely was amazing. That's a looooot of hype to live up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

So what books should I read if I want to know this series? I wouldn't generally ask this question but I've heard some people say that the Shadow Series is if you don't want to deal with YA writing? Are they the same story written in a different way or what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    So what books should I read if I want to know this series? I wouldn't generally ask this question but I've heard some people say that the Shadow Series is if you don't want to deal with YA writing? Are they the same story written in a different way or what?
    Honestly, the regular Enders Game books are worth reading. They're considered "Young Adult", but they're still a great read for adults. The Shadow series is good, but to get the full perspective, you'll want to read the others, starting with Enders Game, then Enders Shadow, imo. Enders Game comes from enders perspective, and Enders Shadow is from another childs perspective.

Ender's Game Quartet (Enders Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind) on Amazon
    To get just the main story, read the above.
    To get the full perspective, read the below ones as well:
    The Ender's Shadow Series Box Set: Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant on Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by catspoir View Post
    Yeah, there are arguments from the purists that believe it should be by the book. The actors that are in the movie are much much older than the children in the book. That may cause distractions, especially if they try to add a frakkin love story to it.
    Not sure how old they are in the books, but finding child actors that could handle being the leads in movies like this is probably very difficult.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Not sure how old they are in the books, but finding child actors that could handle being the leads in movies like this is probably very difficult.
    exactly. remember that the kids are around 7 years old in the books. to maybe upwards of 11. that would be very hard to pull off. especially considering some of the more adult scenes in the movie such as ender/andrew killing someone

Deleted
    I loved the books, up to Xenocide, the rest are trash.

Please don't let it be a commercial piece of epic crap.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    They better not fuck this movie up, or there will be blood! Trailers look good...Harrison Ford seems to be capturing the mentor guy very well from what I see of the trailers (cant remember the characters name). I generally don't mind small changes to books to make the story better for movies, but if they do somethign stupid like add in a romance, there will be repercussions. I don't know what, but at the very least a strongly worded letter to the director.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by forwards1ca View Post
    They better not fuck this movie up, or there will be blood! Trailers look good...Harrison Ford seems to be capturing the mentor guy very well from what I see of the trailers (cant remember the characters name). I generally don't mind small changes to books to make the story better for movies, but if they do somethign stupid like add in a romance, there will be repercussions. I don't know what, but at the very least a strongly worded letter to the director.
    except harrison ford isn't the mentor guy, if its who im thinking of, that guy is played by ben kingsley.

Trailer looked pretty amazing, not familiar with the whole enders game franchise but always happy to see Harrison Ford in a movie!
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

10+ Year Old Account
    In one of the trailers, they kind of give the ending away from the book lol Even though to someone who hasn't read it, they wouldn't notice it from the trailer

Deleted
    Seems nice to me. I definitely want to watch this when it comes out. Space battles? Yes please.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Seems nice to me. I definitely want to watch this when it comes out. Space battles? Yes please.
    hate to be a spoiler, but unless they deviate from the books, the space battles is going to be a relatively minor part of the movie.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    hate to be a spoiler, but unless they deviate from the books, the space battles is going to be a relatively minor part of the movie.
    Really? D:

Seems like there's going to be a lot of Space stuff at least, from watching the trailer. Well, I'm hoping the movie will be good regardless so.

I can't believe they showed the climax of the entire book/movie in the 1st trailer..
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Really? D:

Seems like there's going to be a lot of Space stuff at least, from watching the trailer. Well, I'm hoping the movie will be good regardless so.
    there is lots of space stuff. however actual like ship to ship combat (see star wars, star trek) will be a minimal portion of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I can't believe they showed the climax of the entire book/movie in the 1st trailer..
    yeah that pissed me off too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I'm looking forward to it, but looking at the trailer it's either going to deviate rather a lot from the book, or they're just handing out major plot points. It really pisses me off when trailers do the latter (and when movies do the former :P ).
    Mixed feelings about this one. I suppose I'll just hope for the best and expect the worst, when I go to see it.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP