Deleted

UK Police and Press blame a website for the behaviour of members

This is a story regarding the website last.fm, following a girl commiting suicide after having recieved abuse on it;

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10910214

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...led-death.html

There are other stories on other sites

TLDR; Lots of advertising agencies are boycotting it, and the UK press and some politicians are calling for it to be closed, and the owners and creators have been publiclly shamed about it.

---

Am I missing something ? How is this the fault of the website or its owners? They simply created a platform, a tool, which people are misusing. You are just as likely to recieve the same abuse on any other website, game (wow and lol being notorious), in public , etc etc. Why is this website being singled out?

And to me it just seems like an excuse for poor parenting, the websites themselves are not to blame.

It seems at a planned political move enforced on the media to get the populace to comply to Cameron's draconian internet police policies.
    Last edited by mmoc29e379a7c7; 2013-08-08 at 07:26 PM.

Deleted
    Am I missing something ? How is this the fault of the website or its owners?
    It isn't. It's just that the old farts in the Government mostly don't have a clue how the internet works, nor do the parents saying that Ask.fm should be held accountable. It's a tragic case that their girl died, but it doesn't make the parent any less ignorant in this matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    1> The website carries some responsibility, if they allowed the behaviour to continue and weren't taking action against the offending users.

2> There's no reason issues by New Zealanders should get a Latvian site shut down. None at all.

3> The parents are freaking useless and at least half the problem in this case.

If these are kids their daughter knows in real life (meaning they're in New Zealand), the best possible solution is to start charging them with criminal assault and/or harassment. That's the way it would play out if the bullying were occuring in real life, conducting it online doesn't make it "okay". Nor are these kids anonymous, for the most part. They aren't smart enough to hide their tracks.

Once a few dozens kids get sent to juvie for 8-12 months over bullshit like this, it might start to die down.