Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

so i bought some peppers......

a box of dried habaneros, dried ghost chili peppers, dried arbel peppers,and dried new mexico peppers. how long will they keep for?
    i plan on grinding them into powder and sprinkling that into the food when the occasion arises.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    keep them in your fridge, it will up the "shelf life". If you aren't cooking with them regularly an entire box will most likely expire before you use them.

10+ Year Old Account
    how long is the shelf life? these are dried peppers i thought those would last longer.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

I imagine if they're dehydrated and powdered they'll last for quite a while.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    If they're dried, you can put them in your freezer and they will be fine provided you keep them air-tight.

I grow my own peppers and do this all the time, and then pull them out for various uses (chili, soups, sauces, etc) when I need them.

A word of advice though; if you plan to make a hot sauce, don't use dried peppers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I imagine if they're dehydrated and powdered they'll last for quite a while.
    yes they have all been dehydrated. just wondering how long exactly they will last.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    yes they have all been dehydrated. just wondering how long exactly they will last.
    How long they will last has a lot to do with how well you store them.
    Like I said, keep them air-tight, and freeze them until you need to use them, and you're looking at a shelf life of several years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    How long they will last has a lot to do with how well you store them.
    Like I said, keep them air-tight, and freeze them until you need to use them, and you're looking at a shelf life of several years.
    Or he could just eat em all at once LOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    will freezing it change its taste? never frozen a pepper before.

LOL eat them all at once.......i think my tongue would burn off.

10+ Year Old Account
    will freezing it change its taste? never frozen a pepper before.

LOL eat them all at once.......i think my tongue would burn off.
    No, not if they're dehydrated. If they're fresh, yes, it would. It would make them taste dehydrated, heh.

Well, my mom usually leaves them by the window, if they are really dried, they can last outside the fridge, depends of the moisture in the air of course. I live in a jungle (Veracruz, México) and I've seen them last more than a week. We buy a lot of peppers, fresh or dried, and they tend to last in the fridge for quite long time. Enjoy your habaneros, I have a sauce made of habaneros, my mom did it, it's pretty awesome!

If you can find these bad guys, buy 'em. (Chile pasilla)
    IM TEH RET! er... teh holy... or it was teh prot?!
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    a box of dried habaneros, dried ghost chili peppers, dried arbel peppers,and dried new mexico peppers. how long will they keep for?
    i plan on grinding them into powder and sprinkling that into the food when the occasion arises.
    THey will keep for forever. Not kidding you, they will NEVER go bad. And since they are dried, they will last forever twice over. I've never heard of a chili pepper of any kind going bad. It simply can't happen.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Google would probably answer your question better than a gaming forum:P But I would say if they're dehydrated they will last for a while anyway, But as mentioned before freezing them in a container would also work^^

They will last literally years (1-3) in an air-tight container in a standard house that isn't crazy humid, any older than that without special sealing, I'd be wary of them.

If you vacuum seal it and place them in a cool, dark place, their freshness will outlive your bloodline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    THey will keep for forever. Not kidding you, they will NEVER go bad. And since they are dried, they will last forever twice over. I've never heard of a chili pepper of any kind going bad. It simply can't happen.
    that avatar is very distracting......

what were we talking about again? oh thats right peppers.

one time i did get some bad peppers from the store.....didnt realize it till i had already bought them and consumed half of them.
    it wasnt all of them just one. but for 12.99 for a fresh box of ghost chilis i was not a happy camper.(wasnt even 12 in there.)

What? Dehydrated peppers, you can keep in an air-tight bag (ziploc, whatever) in a cool and dark place. Forever.

But yes, make your own version of chili powder with them. Very good use.

And it's nothing special. I have to drive less than a mile, and I can pick up a bag of dried chilis larger than what any of you use as a pillow, for less than you paid for that pillow.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ghost peppers are so good. Once I had this meal at a restaurant in the city, and it came with a friend ghost pepper stuffed with cheese. Normally if you just tried eating the ghost pepper on its own, it would probably hurt. I guess frying it takes out some of the "heat" and along with the cheese allows it to be eaten on its own, rather than a part of something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Ghost peppers are so good. Once I had this meal at a restaurant in the city, and it came with a friend ghost pepper stuffed with cheese. Normally if you just tried eating the ghost pepper on its own, it would probably hurt. I guess frying it takes out some of the "heat" and along with the cheese allows it to be eaten on its own, rather than a part of something else.
    Guessing it still had quite a bite though. But yeah, cooking chiles kills some of the heat. I'd recommend putting on a gas mask and goggles if you ever try to saute a ghost pepper....

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Guessing it still had quite a bite though. But yeah, cooking chiles kills some of the heat. I'd recommend putting on a gas mask and goggles if you ever try to saute a ghost pepper....
    Oh, it was still intense and the hottest food I ever had, but it didn't burn any holes in my esophagus lol

Dried chilis will basically last forever. You might find that they don't have the same punch/flavor after a decade or two, but, they aren't going to spoil.