Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Schools should be penalized if their students require remedial classes in college. It basically signals that the school failed and now the university is doing their job.
    Maybe in an ideal world where every family has the resources to support the child and the sole variable that will affect student success is the student's school. It's not the case, though. The student him/herself and the family is a huge influence as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

How would people cheat on their taxes? That would be interesting. There would probably be the IRS, corporate tax agencies and shady tax dodging firms for individuals.
    No you would still be able to do your own taxes. The scheme the IRS came up with was that they would fill out a form for you (complete with all your deductions and everything... no cheating... surprisingly) and if you agreed you just signed it and mailed it back (They would provide a SASE!). If you disagreed, you filled out a blank form and sent it in. They'd review it as usual.

It would be an option available to everyone, but required of no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Stuff.
    That all seems really complicated and unstable to me. We would be much better off with a nationally standard system that is funded properly so that no matter where you live you can receive a good education. You could always pay a private school because you want to send your kid to a religious school or a specialty school. Or maybe the DoE could contract trainers in specialty subjects to teach at select schools for a fee. And I mean subjects like Film History and certain types of art while all schools would be teaching core subjects that are important to college education.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Ratemyprofessor.com

The most subjective bullshit college resource on the internet.
    According to my students...I am not hot.

Quote Originally Posted by macdisciple View Post
    According to my students...I am not hot.
    lmao

That's gotta be a downer.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    That all seems really complicated and unstable to me. We would be much better off with a nationally standard system that is funded properly so that no matter where you live you can receive a good education. You could always pay a private school because you want to send your kid to a religious school or a specialty school. Or maybe the DoE could contract trainers in specialty subjects to teach at select schools for a fee. And I mean subjects like Film History and certain types of art while all schools would be teaching core subjects that are important to college education.
    There is already a sort of national standard system. It's called the Common Core and all but 4 or so states are adopting it. I've heard that the DoE cannot implement standards for the whole nation. The Common Core is, from what I understand, an agreement between almost all states. They all agree to teach under these standards. The roll out is happening right now with the first sets of standardized tests coming out in school year '14-'15, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    No you would still be able to do your own taxes.
    Thats basically what I said except I can see anyone using a private firm might be suspected of gaming the system since anyone can use the free and easy method from the IRS that would prevent cheating. Basically "If you are clean and they do it for free why wouldnt you use it? Are you trying to hide something?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    Maybe in an ideal world where every family has the resources to support the child and the sole variable that will affect student success is the student's school. It's not the case, though. The student him/herself and the family is a huge influence as well.
    In most situations people who take these courses do so either because they were not offered at their school(unlikely as they are basic subjects), or they did not take them because they were not required and should have been(a failure of the school). Sometimes they are required because incoming students do poorly on placement exams, so they passed the class in school but didnt learn what they should have and the school still gave them good grades. The students then have inflated GPAs from taking easy classes that get them into college which they cant complete because their school didnt teach them what they needed to learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats basically what I said except I can see anyone using a private firm might be suspected of gaming the system since anyone can use the free and easy method from the IRS that would prevent cheating. Basically "If you are clean and they do it for free why wouldnt you use it? Are you trying to hide something?"
    That's sort of the point.

- - - Updated - - -

There is already a sort of national standard system. It's called the Common Core and all but 4 or so states are adopting it. I've heard that the DoE cannot implement standards for the whole nation. The Common Core is, from what I understand, an agreement between almost all states. They all agree to teach under these standards. The roll out is happening right now with the first sets of standardized tests coming out in school year '14-'15, if I'm not mistaken.
    They cannot, that is correct; curricula and standards are set at the state level. Which incidentally is why the most conservative states tend to have the crappiest educational systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Or the case of someone simply not trusting the IRS and deciding to double check to make sure they're not getting short-changed. Or perhaps the IRS, when preparing the one they mailed out, didn't have some details right. For instance, how is the IRS going to be 100% on top of someone's capital gains? It would work extremely well for those who don't have side incomes, haven't received some big gift (such as a car), or other abnormal things, which is a rather large number of people. Those who filing for taxes is a very cut and dry, uncomplicated matter because they work their job and that's it. Unless the IRS sees every time you make a charitable donation, or anything like that, it seems unlikely that they'd be able to accurately file everyone's taxes for them.

The main issue is not with the set of educational standards but the standardization of funding, teacher quality, and what you do with the educational standards(i.e. not defunding failing schools and making them even worse). DoE cant implement national standards because at some point education was determined to be a state issue. It could just as well be a federal issue just like healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    As long as they're real degrees. Not like a Bachelor in Chair Farts.
    Just finished my masters in that field online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    Or the case of someone simply not trusting the IRS and deciding to double check to make sure they're not getting short-changed. Or perhaps the IRS, when preparing the one they mailed out, didn't have some details right. For instance, how is the IRS going to be 100% on top of someone's capital gains? It would work extremely well for those who don't have side incomes, haven't received some big gift (such as a car), or other abnormal things, which is a rather large number of people. Those who filing for taxes is a very cut and dry, uncomplicated matter because they work their job and that's it. Unless the IRS sees every time you make a charitable donation, or anything like that, it seems unlikely that they'd be able to accurately file everyone's taxes for them.
    Which is why the proposed system is actually quote good since it covers the bare bones which allowing for any outliers to be double-checked if necessary.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    In most situations people who take these courses do so either because they were not offered at their school(unlikely as they are basic subjects), or they did not take them because they were not required and should have been(a failure of the school). Sometimes they are required because incoming students do poorly on placement exams, so they passed the class in school but didnt learn what they should have and the school still gave them good grades. The students then have inflated GPAs from taking easy classes that get them into college which they cant complete because their school didnt teach them what they needed to learn.
    I agree that some students come in with inflated GPA's from easy high schools (I came from one of them, except I always took college-level courses). I just believe Johnny's education depends on school, family, and other societal circumstances instead of merely his school.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that some students come in with inflated GPA's from easy high schools (I came from one of them, except I always took college-level courses). I just believe Johnny's education depends on school, family, and other societal circumstances instead of merely his school.
    Two of those are controllable, which is what have to be focused on. Family is just one of those issues which can't ever be fixed with acceptable means.

The amount of money university professors are earning in US and Canada is disastrous

10+ Year Old Account
    The main issue is not with the set of educational standards but the standardization of funding, teacher quality, and what you do with the educational standards(i.e. not defunding failing schools and making them even worse). DoE cant implement national standards because at some point education was determined to be a state issue. It could just as well be a federal issue just like healthcare.
    Well funding differences are crazy between states. Some states spend less than half than others. Get Texans to agree on raising taxes to increase funding for education. Education is tied to taxation.

Which is why the proposed system is actually quote good since it covers the bare bones which allowing for any outliers to be double-checked if necessary.
    Oh no, I agree wholeheartedly. I was just posting reasons people would use something other than what the IRS mailed out than to cheat on their taxes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    They cannot, that is correct; curricula and standards are set at the state level. Which incidentally is why the most conservative states tend to have the crappiest educational systems.
    But giving the government more power is like tyrannical dude. /sarcasm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Two of those are controllable, which is what have to be focused on. Family is just one of those issues which can't ever be fixed with acceptable means.
    That's true. I think we need to break up schools. They're too large and we can't possible serve some of our most needy students when our schools house a huge variety of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's true. I think we need to break up schools. They're too large and we can't possible serve some of our most needy students when our schools house a huge variety of them.
    The issue isn't the size of schools; it's the number of educators available. Teaching is not a very attractive job for how much it gets paid.