Thread: Professions?

Thumbs up Professions?

Hey sexy bitches.
    So I've been leveling my ele sham for a bit now and finally hit 87 last night. It's been a struggle as far as staying dedicated to him but after gaining Ascendance I am in love. And apparently EB is super fun too; I'm stoked.
    I'm looking for some profession recommendations as I near hitting level 90. Right now I have Herb / Alch as I enjoy PvP a touch more than PvE, but will essentially do both. The haste + arena trinket are nice little bonuses, but are they too little? Should I be taking advantage of something better? I'm taking into consideration that I rarely take a gathering prof. and this time I feel like I may enjoy it.
    All feedback is welcome, thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking only at the fun factor and maybe even PvP perks, have you ever tried Engineering? I recently finished leveling Engineering on my Warlock and I love all the little toys I can make and tinkers I can enhance my gear with, plus the on demand steroid of Synapse Springs which increases one of your stats on a cooldown.

Since you enjoy PvP I can only imagine escaping off Lumber Mill in Arathi Basin with the Goblin Glider as your enemies stare in dull frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Castochi View Post
    Looking only at the fun factor and maybe even PvP perks, have you ever tried Engineering? I recently finished leveling Engineering on my Warlock and I love all the little toys I can make and tinkers I can enhance my gear with, plus the on demand steroid of Synapse Springs which increases one of your stats on a cooldown.

Since you enjoy PvP I can only imagine escaping off Lumber Mill in Arathi Basin with the Goblin Glider as your enemies stare in dull frustration.
    I hadn't really thought about that. I do have Alch on my Hunter. Perhaps Herb / Eng would be awesome sauces plus.

Engineering for the fun and tinkers and tailoring for the cloak enchant which will be amazing for elemental :-)

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want a gathering profession I'd go with Herbalism, and pair that with Engineering. Engineering offers plenty of cool fun items to have and play with, and it would be right up your alley, and herbalism could feed your alchemist.

Alternatively you could go Mining, to help feed your engineering, but ghostwolf gathering is nice.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Currently my Shaman has Mining/JC. I plan to farm the materials I require after maxing JC to drop mining and go 1-600 in blacksmithing. 2 Bonus Sockets + Super Gems? Yes Please!

Quote Originally Posted by Torcida View Post
    Currently my Shaman has Mining/JC. I plan to farm the materials I require after maxing JC to drop mining and go 1-600 in blacksmithing. 2 Bonus Sockets + Super Gems? Yes Please!
    That sounds dope, but awfully expensive. I don't want to devote my life to professions (ikr?) or every last bit of G I've made. =p

There are guides out there where you maybe spend 2 - 3 days farming all the materials you need so when you drop mining, you can level up blacksmithing all in 1 sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Torcida View Post
    There are guides out there where you maybe spend 2 - 3 days farming all the materials you need so when you drop mining, you can level up blacksmithing all in 1 sitting.
    See, I've always read those guides as: Spend 2-3 days auction house funding.

Oh god. I wouldn't bother with the AH when it comes to that. Mainly because of the idea that you won't recoup your losses, and really, a lot of the mats are easier to farm than it seems. 10 stacks of one kind of ore, 12 stacks of another. I mean most people dont realize when they were questing they probably gained about 20 stacks of ghost iron in pandaria without even trying.

just takes a little bit of elbow grease.

Deleted
    Actually all proffesions give the same bonus except for tailoring (cloak enchant) and engineering (synapse springs)

Quote Originally Posted by Dudko View Post
    Actually all proffesions give the same bonus except for tailoring (cloak enchant) and engineering (synapse springs)
    Are you saying that the Herb haste buff is equivalent to the JC 320 buff?

Quote Originally Posted by Volant View Post
    Are you saying that the Herb haste buff is equivalent to the JC 320 buff?
    JC = 2x serpents eye gem. Overall gain of 320 primary stat. Unfortunately, would only be a gain of 320 secondary stat also, which is...terrible.

Herbalism = lifeblood. 2880haste, 20sec, 2min cd. i.e. 1/6th uptime. 2880/6 = 480. Not including the fact you could line it up with a cd on certain classes.

so, JC = 320primary/secondary stat
    herbalims = 480 haste, and lining up with a CD.

shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner563 View Post
    JC = 2x serpents eye gem. Overall gain of 320 primary stat. Unfortunately, would only be a gain of 320 secondary stat also, which is...terrible.

Herbalism = lifeblood. 2880haste, 20sec, 2min cd. i.e. 1/6th uptime. 2880/6 = 480. Not including the fact you could line it up with a cd on certain classes.

so, JC = 320primary/secondary stat
    herbalims = 480 haste, and lining up with a CD.

shrug.
    Thanks for the math on this. Sometimes I'm just too lazy to do it myself, lol.
    This makes me feel better because I really wanted to do Herb but felt like I was gimping myself.
    Cheers!

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, with the added bonuses to gathering professions you aren't much gimping yourself.

Though, I do wish they'd change the Mining one to say, hit.

It amazes me how many people do not know of the bonuses though, especially herbalisms.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature