Front page blue about hit ad reforging

I read that and how they are kinda underwhelmed with the cascading problems in getting new gear and needing to get to a hit cap and it made me wonder why they even have that artificial cap anyway? Why not just have all things hit by default and hit rating and expertise just increase the potency some way of that hit. Like perhaps expertise makes critical strikes stronger or hit rating gives you chance at double strikes. It would make getting new pieces of gear be wearable right away and even give more depth to the gearing system by adding in more ways to customize your character and how they do damage.

I could see in PvP that it would not always be a clearcut thing on which rating is the best to stack and it would open up some different playstyles and builds within the same spec. Like a warlock that stacks mastery versus one that stacks hit chance (double strikes) or a warrior that stacks crit versus one that stacks expertise (crit damage) and relies on 3 minute cds.

that actualy sounds pretty interesting, but then things like warriors recklessness comes into play where stacking expertise would be required. Or enh sham stacking hit would be required.

Hit and expertise are odd creatures, IMO they should just do away with them entirely. Maybe add a new stat in their place. They don't add anything to the game really, its just a cap you have to make sure you are at. That takes no skill at all, its just making sure that Miss Chance on your character sheet is 0.00% via reforging. It adds no gameplay depth and it just makes reforging annoying as hell. Probably the only reason they don't simply do away with hit/expertise is because its not THAT big of a hassle and the cry of "OMG YOU ARE DUMBING DOWN THE GAME!!!!!!11!!!!1111!!" would outweigh the benefits. And also the issue that it would deflate the amount of stats in the game by quite a bit. I think you would atleast have to add a new stat, but how would you differentiate this new stat from haste/crit/mastery? Crit severity stat has the same issue Armor Pen had... its simple "my numbers are higher" stat so it might as well be attack power/spell power. If you added a defensive stat like life steal or something, than no one would use it. Maybe something like cooldown reduction?
    Last edited by Vongimi; 2013-08-12 at 01:04 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

I bet they will be gone for 6.0

Yeah I did not even think about stuff totally different like life steal or cd reduction. Wouldn't be super cool if they threw pvpers a bone and made expertise a CC reduction stat. lol some classes would not stack it because they have lots of ways out of CC and other classes would stack it to high heaven at the expense of damage/healing.

Could be some fun things, like turn hit into a stat that is half crit chance, half crit damage. The possibilities are there. Makes me wonder if they lack the desire to deviate from their roots or if they have tossed ideas like these around and their massive spreadsheets have told them it would be a nightmare to balance making everything actually harder. I mean, they can't even do something like make dodge have an additional pvp bonus that would give you the ability to defense kit your character. I know I would probably lean that way playing a DK.

Perhaps mastery has shown them that it is not what they thought it would be like adding in a new rating. Mastery was supposed to be the flat modifier they used to tweak the output of a class and it has turned into a sort of one trick pony for some classes and something to be ignored for others.