AMD discontinues their FX-series CPUs?

Just saw a video from Tech of Tomorrow on youtube yesterday where Elric, the host, claims there are rumors the FX-9590 would be the last performance CPU from AMD. It has long been speculated if AMD would throw in the towel competing against intel in performance parts and the 9590 can't be called anything but a fail from their side.

What do you guys think? Have we seen the last performance CPU from AMD? If so, how do you think this will affect us as consumers? Do you think a company such as Qualcomm etc. Will pick up were AMD left off and go head to head against intel? What does the future look like for performance CPUs now?

10+ Year Old Account
    If anything, I imagine they'll just drop the "FX-XXXX" name and pick up a new moniker so as to lose the stigma of the FX line, which has on the whole, been lackluster. Even the Athlon II's and Phenoms didn't get as bad a rap, considering their powerful heritage. A name means a lot, and if you start crappy, people will always think that.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Considering someone at AMD recently said that Intel and Nvidia were basically dead walking, this is quite possible.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Since I don't have any insider info this is just guessing, but I'd guess that focusing on APUs and Opterons and cutting out whole enthusiast line AMD would probably make better profit than trying to compete with Intel with five years old tech.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Im with Chazus. They might drop the FX name and move on to a new name. But they wont drop out of the market. I think they are even working on a new line of CPUs, and I think I have read those would be "full" 8 cores etc.

And lets hope they wont drop out. Giving Intel free range is not good for us!

I couldnt care less, Intel all the way.
    For some reason the AMD cards i had in the past, always had weird stuff happening on them. Lights being totally white and shit like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psycon View Post
    For some reason the AMD cards i had in the past, always had weird stuff happening on them. Lights being totally white and shit like that.
    People tend to associate AMD's GPU's with their CPU's and...it's not really accurate. AMD doesn't make GPU's. They just bought out ATI and slapped their name on them. The same engineers from ATI are the ones making their GPU's. So you can't really compare them.

In any case, i doubt they're going to give up on the performance CPU market. But like Chazus said, they'll probably just drop the FX name.

What? Aside from the fact that intel can basically buy the universe when compared with AMD there is no reason they can't produce a processor you would want.

Hm i realise what i said didnt make sense really

Thought we were talking about GPU's, but no clue why i included Intel in the story lol..

Well, without a good competition for Intel, there's not much incentive for upgrading their products. Why waste money on research and improving technology when they can keep selling their current CPUs without any competition...
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Well, without a good competition for Intel, there's not much incentive for upgrading their products. Why waste money on research and improving technology when they can keep selling their current CPUs without any competition...
    True. Excuse my post i was still waking up and i think i had a nightmare about AMD or so

Deleted
    I noticed that there were one or two rumours about a Phenom/Athlon IV from Chiphell. That post was removed pretty quickly, and it spoke of a potential 12-core (6 physical) CPU clocked at 2.8 GHz. I also know that everyone called it a heavy fake, as it was claimed to run on a 75W TDP. If that were completely true and an elaborate "fake" hoax, then that would be comical.