Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Office computer that'll last 3+ years

Hey everyone! I'm seeking advice again, but this time it's for my mother.

She's planning on expanding her business a little bit, and part of that entails getting a computer that'll she will be able to use comfortably for at least 3 years.

While browsing at Sam's Club, she saw this: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/hp-27-d...rod10340099.ip. I convinced her not to purchase it ($900 price tag) knowing that a better build could be had for cheaper. She really loves that display ($300 monitor) so If that could be included or something similar that would be awesome. She wants tons of storage, and enough power to have dozens of applications opened to not lag. Would it be possible to match this computer's price-to-performance ratio? Thanks for the help!

10+ Year Old Account
    She really loves that display ($300 monitor)
    THAT one, or just 27"?
    She wants tons of storage
    Elaborate. "Tons of storage" could mean "10,000 jpgs" or "10 TB"
    and enough power to have dozens of applications opened to not lag
    What applications? What does she do? Are we talking 10 Word documents? 20 youtube videos playing at the same time? Does she run concurrent AUTOCAD renderings + real time knitting simulators?
    Honestly, a $300 dell 'matches' that computers performance ratio. It's actually a pretty weak system for the price tag, however I imagine it would handle what she's trying to do. Maybe.

Need more info.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    THAT one, or just 27"?

Elaborate. "Tons of storage" could mean "10,000 jpgs" or "10 TB"

What applications? What does she do? Are we talking 10 Word documents? 20 youtube videos playing at the same time? Does she run concurrent AUTOCAD renderings + real time knitting simulators?
    Honestly, a $300 dell 'matches' that computers performance ratio. It's actually a pretty weak system for the price tag, however I imagine it would handle what she's trying to do. Maybe.

Need more info.
    Thanks for questions. EDIT: She would really like a 27" or that specific monitor (HP 27xi).

As for storage I believe she is wishing to have a place to storage personal files as well from everything to documents to music/videos. I'd say that 2TB would be more than plenty. Her current computer has 750gb and she uses only 500gb.

As for the type of applications.. She typically has 2-3 different internet pages opened each containing 3-5 tabs. She has tax software running, as well as her business programs (Nutrition software). She probably has 15 different processes opened, but none are too taxing. I believe 8GB would be enough? If not I can always put 8 more in.
    Last edited by Hethor; 2013-08-12 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hethor View Post
    Thanks for questions. I think she's flexible on display but either 24" or 27" that competes with that display would be optimal.

As for storage I believe she is wishing to have a place to storage personal files as well from everything to documents to music/videos. I'd say that 2TB would be more than plenty. Her current computer has 750gb and she uses only 500gb.

As for the type of applications.. She typically has 2-3 different internet pages opened each containing 3-5 tabs. She has tax software running, as well as her business programs (Nutrition software). She probably has 15 different processes opened, but none are too taxing. I believe 8GB would be enough? If not I can always put 8 more in.
    If she does not play any games, just pick up a duo core and a HDD. Nothing speciall really is needed.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimpan View Post
    If she does not play any games, just pick up a duo core and a HDD. Nothing speciall really is needed.
    My goal is to build her a nicer computer with more bang for the buck. I'm decently familiar with top-end set ups, but I'm unsure of what type of intel cpu, low-end video, PSU I'd need for a nice business computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like this is a bit overkill, and I also think she'd probably be better off with a $300 Dell i3 + 27" monitor, but this would run VERY nice and be quite snappy. SSD for loading things fast, and the 610 for HDMI playback and the like. This can certainly be slimmed down a great deal, too. A G2120 would also work. The bulk of the cost is in the monitor and drives.

PCPartPicker part list
    CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($54.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GT 610 1GB Video Card ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.90 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: HP 27xi 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($317.58 @ Newegg)
    Total: $916.38
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks chazus, I appreciate the build. Couple questions, for her business/general use there wouldn't be much of a difference between dual i3 or quad i5? Also regarding the SSD, I think that would fit her awesomely, but is it possible to load OS on the SSD with the core applications then make applications always install on the HDD?

She'd like a place to put memory cards, but I assume I can purchase a hub off newegg. One more, the video card wouldn't have a problem powering that display for working?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hethor View Post
    there wouldn't be much of a difference between dual i3 or quad i5?
    Naw, unless there's some strange program that wasn't mentioned that somehow uses a cpu a great deal.

Also regarding the SSD, I think that would fit her awesomely, but is it possible to load OS on the SSD with the core applications then make applications always install on the HDD?
    Y...es? I can think of absolutely no reason why you would want that, though. I can't find it possible that she would have more than 120gb of software on there, simply put. There would be no reason to put applications on the HDD, and lots of reasons not to.

She'd like a place to put memory cards, but I assume I can purchase a hub off newegg.
    Yarp. Any $5-$10 card reader that plugs into internal USB would work fine.

One more, the video card wouldn't have a problem powering that display for working?
    Naw. I don't think it's even necessary, however at $25, it would be nice to have for a bit speedier video playback

15+ Year Old Account
    I would ditch the video card from chazus' build and invest 10 bucks more into a motherboard with onboard HDMI, e.g. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyt...oard-gab75md3h
    The onboard video from the i3 is fast enough for the purpose and you will save a few bucks and it will use a little bit less power.

As for your question about installation: I would suggest to install all programs onto the ssd, you should not run into space issues that way. The big data hogs (images, music, videos, etc) go onto the hard drive.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey all, I've pretty much finished the build and have started ordering. However, the motherboard is still troubling me. I looked at both of those B75, but the reviews were mixed. Since she's not planning on overclocking what is the difference between a H77 board and B75?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest an EXTERNAL large drive so that all her data/backups could be moved quickly if needed, or if the main computer goes south.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    I'd suggest an EXTERNAL large drive so that all her data/backups could be moved quickly if needed, or if the main computer goes south.
    Then again externals often break earlier since people carry them around and they often have WD Greens in them.

I think the builds from this thread would work wonders, just replace the suggested HDDs.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Then again externals often break earlier since people carry them around and they often have WD Greens in them.

I think the builds from this thread would work wonders, just replace the suggested HDDs.
    Just be sure to buy a quality external... or get an enclosure and install the HDD yourself

I agree, I thought the point of the thread was to make a system more economically than the one Mom wanted at Sams Club

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you all for the suggestions, I will probably get 1 TB HDD then buy an enclosure. Nice to have if only to back up data. I believe I'm going with the Asrock H77M, thanks for the help again!
    Last edited by Hethor; 2013-08-13 at 03:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is effectively no difference between H77 and B75, except the B75 chipset boards are often cheaper. When it comes to a budget non-oc system, whatever is cheaper is fine.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, thanks Chazus! I went with ASRock as that's the MoBo in my current computer and it works great.

EDIT: Sorry to keep bringing this thread back to life, but I have one last request. My mother wants a wireless keyboard and mouse for this computer. Most suggestions here favor gaming, but I hear Logitech (Maybe others) have good bundles. What is a good quality wireless mouse and keyboard for office use?
    Last edited by Hethor; 2013-08-13 at 04:53 PM.

Deleted
    Both the Logitech MK270 and the MK520 have awesome wireless keyboards, I didn't use the mice much though (because they have no thumb buttons).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedda View Post
    Both the Logitech MK270 and the MK520 have awesome wireless keyboards, I didn't use the mice much though (because they have no thumb buttons).
    I got the MK260 MK250 for my mother, but i have to say i am not that satisfied. The keyboard is ok, but has that awful 3-row button layout for the block above the arrow keys. But what really bugs me is the noticeable input lag from the mouse. I couldn't use something like this for longer than a few minutes.
    Last edited by Biernot; 2013-08-14 at 05:10 AM.
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Deleted
    I'm not sure I get what you mean since your Model S has the same layout (if you mean the insert/page up etc block).

The bundles cost barely more than the keyboards only (e.g. MK270 vs K270), so there would be no risk letting OP's mother at least give them a try. Also I didn't experience any noticeable input lag with the bundled mice I had (MK270/MK520) during "office use". But due to energy saving features, there will always be a short delay at first when you use the mouse after leaving it alone for a while.
    Last edited by mmoc7b9ac7750b; 2013-08-13 at 08:44 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedda View Post
    I'm not sure I get what you mean since your Model S has the same layout (if you mean the insert/page up etc block).
    My bad, i meant the MK250: http://onsales.co.nz/online2/images/mk250.jpg