10+ Year Old Account

Downloading now...

beginner tips the game doesn't give.

GOGOGO!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    beginner tips the game doesn't give.

GOGOGO!
    Buy your first speeder on the Fleet from the Speeder Vendor. Do not buy one of the Galactic Trade Network (AH). This will save you about 4,000 credits.

Almost always choose to take the Planetary Commendations from quest reward choices.

Do not forget to loot every boss for the Planetary Commendations, they are not auto looted when another player loots the boss. Each player must loot their own.

Don't forget to gear up your Companion. He levels when you level, and has his own set of gear. This gear can be upgraded, and you should do see every chance you get.

Buy Stat Stims. Such as Resolve Stim, it will give you a bonus to your Willpower. Choose the stim that matches your primary stat.

Always complete your Class Story Quests. Even when you begin to out level the planet you are, make sure you atleast finish the Class Story Quest Chain.

You will gain Sprint at level 1 as a subscriber. You will need to wait until level 15 if you are F2P. Don't be ashamed in your first Flash Point (Instance) that you are running 1/2 the speed of others.

First thing you will want to save money for is extra bag space. I think it costs 14,000 for your first upgrade to bag space, totally worth it to be your first purchase.

Wait on crafting until you get your Ship. The ship comes with a companion which you can send out on gathering or crafting missions. If you begin before that, you will have to send your only companion, you will not have him to help you with quests if he is out running a gathering mission.
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2013-08-12 at 08:42 PM.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Seriously, all of that. Really great advice Kathandira. Just to add a couple thoughts of my own...

Your ship's droid can heal. He can be expensive to gear up, but very useful if neither you or your companion have that ability. If you don't have heals and don't want to use the droid, consider taking up Biochem so you can make some fancy medpacs. (healy potions)

If you are F2P, almost all the content unlocks in the game are available for credits on the GTN (auction house) if you find yourself building up a nice stash.

Don't just post things at the recommended price on the GTN, do a quick price check first. You may be able to sell the item for a lot more than you think.

Interrupts, CC, stuns, etc. are more commonplace here than in WoW's PvE/solo content. You'll want them on your action bars, and people will expect you to use them.

The non-jedi/sith classes recharge their secondary resource faster if they've used very little of it. If you use all of it, it will start to recharge very slowly and that can get you in all kinds of trouble during long fights. (Just something that seems to be a common newbie oversight).

Watch for patrols, some of the baddies have a bit of wanderlust it seems.
    Last edited by sarahfireworks; 2013-08-12 at 09:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Buy your first speeder on the Fleet from the Speeder Vendor. Do not buy one of the Galactic Trade Network (AH). This will save you about 4,000 credits.
    I'm going to go ahead and say "DO buy your first speeder through the GTN"! XD
    If you buy it from the Speeder Vendor, you will have to buy another one when you upgrade your Speeder piloting level.

Cartel Mounts sold in the GTN scale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just would like to add on the a few.

1) Don't forget to pick your class specialization once you get to the fleet for the first time. I see alot of newbies asking how to do so after they already are on the 2nd planet. This can be done as soon as you step into the fleet, you shoud see a couple npcs with Mission markers on their heads. They will direct you to the trainer for your class.

2) Do either Black Talon (Empire) or Esseles (Republic) once you get on the fleet. These are easy Flashpoints (Dungeons) that set the theme for SWTORs group content, and you get a pretty good feel how other Flashpoints will work.

3) I recommend buying a few cartel coins, so you get PREFERRED status. This will lift a bunch of restrictions F2P have making it a bit more pleasant. (Edit: Or you can do as Mstieler suggested below this post for a Speeder bound to account. Free moneyz for something else.)
    Last edited by Razael; 2013-08-13 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    3) I recommend buying a few cartel coins, so you get PREFERRED status. This will lift a bunch of restrictions F2P have making it a bit more pleasant.
    Instead of the Coins (or along with the coins ), I'd suggest the Digital Upgrade pack. Still $5, and it gives all characters you have and will ever make a scales-to-speeder-piloting-level speeder, so you don't have to worry about buying one off the GTN or from a Speeder Vendor, unless you want something that looks different. You also get some fluff items as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mstieler View Post
    Instead of the Coins (or along with the coins ), I'd suggest the Digital Upgrade pack. Still $5, and it gives all characters you have and will ever make a scales-to-speeder-piloting-level speeder, so you don't have to worry about buying one off the GTN or from a Speeder Vendor, unless you want something that looks different. You also get some fluff items as well.
    Ahaha i have that Pack, best purchase i ever made. Use that speeder on all my new alts to save the money from buying one. Edited my post, forgot about this, good suggestion.

Be sure to max on ranked pvp comms between 40 and 50 and be sure to stock up on pvp med/stim pacs with any extra regular pvp comms.

10+ Year Old Account
    What class is the most beginner friendly?

Would prefer melee
    Last edited by docterfreeze; 2013-08-13 at 10:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Would prefer melee
    Powertech/Vanguard is a melee/mid-range class that is fun and relatively easy to play. They get a lot of key abilities really early on. (Bounty Hunter / Trooper)

Assassin/Shadow is a melee-mage class that switches up between Force attacks and Melee attacks with a saber-staff. This is my personal favorite class. (Sith Inquisitor / Jedi Consular)

Juggernaut/Guardian is a melee single-saber wielding class. This class is slightly harder than the others due to getting a lot of key abilities at much higher levels. It doesn't really come into its own until around 40. Its a really fun class at max level though. (Sith Warrior / Jedi Knight)

Marauder/Sentinel is a melee dual-saber wielding class. Like the Juggernaut/Guardian, it doesn't get a lot of its abilities until later, but does get enough around 30 to be formidable. Its a pure DPS class, and last I saw (which was awhile ago) had the highest DPS potential of any class in the game. Sadly, it does lack in having cool looking Force attacks. Its the class I'm primarily playing right now. (Sith Warrior / Jedi Knight)

Operative/Scoundrel is a melee/mid-range "assassin" that focuses on burst damage. It doesn't get a lot of its key abilities (specifically openers) until around 30. Its also a very squishy class and is more suited to controlled burst and escape than trading blows. Much of its damage also comes from positional damage (backstabs). I would say this class is probably the hardest melee class to play well. (Imperial Agent / Smuggler)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you decide against Melee and would like to try ranged. Sith Inquisitor/Sorcerer! Tons of fun. Has an AoE stomp that pushes enemies away, Fires lightning spells in various ways. Can spec into being a DoT class. Also can spec into being a healer.

It's super easy to level, your first companion can be used as a pretty decent tank, and you have a few healing spells and a shield spell. Pretty versatile class which makes leveling pretty easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    If you decide against Melee and would like to try ranged. Sith Inquisitor/Sorcerer! Tons of fun. Has an AoE stomp that pushes enemies away, Fires lightning spells in various ways. Can spec into being a DoT class. Also can spec into being a healer.

It's super easy to level, your first companion can be used as a pretty decent tank, and you have a few healing spells and a shield spell. Pretty versatile class which makes leveling pretty easy.
    This.
    Sith Sorcerer/Jedi Consular : Easy to learn, hard to master.

Still, the OP wants to go melee so I would suggest Sith Juggernaut/Jedi Guardian as the most beginner-friendly melee class.

Marauders/Sentinels are very squishy if you don't use your active mitigation cooldowns and Powertechs/Vanguards can be quite hard if you don't understand how their energy system works.

Would prefer melee
    I'd say Operative/Scoundrel, or Powertech/Vanguard. Operative/Scoundrel gets most of it's "Stealth kit" early on (by 22, you have key "Rogue" moves, like a "Sap-clone", "Cloak of Shadows-clone", and a "remove all bad effects" move), so you'll be Tranquilizing, backstabbing (or backblasting because Scoundrels shoot people with a goddamn shotgun), and generally having a helluva time, though you don't get your healy companion til Hoth (mid 30's); however, using Bowdaar til then works just as well (he's your melee tank companion). Oh, and you get to experience two of the more enjoyable storylines (as James Bond the Agent, or Han Solo the Smuggler).

I have yet to try Powertech/Vanguard, but it seems like a fun enough Advanced Class to play. Plus, as Powertech, you start with your healy companion, which is always good.

I'm currently leveling a Shadow as Balance Spec (Madness for Assassin) and it seems simpler (or easier at least) than Deception/Infiltration (the other DPS spec) because your big hitting move doesn't require stealth, positioning, or any of the crap, and you get it rather early (Force in Balance/Death Field). It's a DoT-heavy spec, but runs pretty nicely.

Also, another thing for "beginner friendly" is what order and when you get your different companions (mainly your healer ):
    Jedi Knight (Guardian/Sentinel): Ranged Tank - Melee DPS - Healer - Ranged DPS - Melee Tank
    Jedi Consular (Shadow/Sage): Melee Tank - Healer - Ranged DPS - Ranged Tank - Melee DPS
    Trooper (Commando/Vanguard): Ranged DPS - Healer - Ranged Tank - Melee DPS - Melee Tank
    Smuggler (Scoundrel/Gunslinger): Ranged Tank - Melee Tank - Ranged DPS - Melee DPS - Healer
    Sith Warrior (Juggernaut/Marauder): Ranged DPS - Healer - Melee DPS - Ranged Tank - Melee Tank
    Sith Inquisitor (Assassin/Sorcerer): Melee Tank - Ranged DPS - Melee DPS - Healer - Ranged Tank
    Bounty Hunter (Mercenary/Powertech): Healer - Ranged DPS - Melee DPS - Ranged Tank - Melee Tank
    Imperial Agent (Operative/Sniper): Ranged Tank - Melee DPS - Healer - Ranged DPS - Melee Tank

10+ Year Old Account
    I really wanted to use other companions, but for some reason everything goes faster/easier with a Healer companion. Meh.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really wanted to use other companions, but for some reason everything goes faster/easier with a Healer companion. Meh.
    It always depended on the class for me. On my BH I definitely make better progress with a healer. On my JK/warrior I was fine with Kira or Vette...they actually made packs go really fast. Similarly Kaliyo worked very well on my agent. I was always a little disappointed because it felt like the first companion you got was not only the only one with the largest back story, most detailed romances, but also the best to quest with.

I typically never changed companions until the end game, if ever. And then it does seem like a healer trumps everything as it lets you solo the group quests fairly easily if you have CC.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    A bit lengthy but check out this site:

http://liberi-fatali.net/the-old-rep...guide-and-faq/
    MLP Friendship Is Magic - Republic - The Harbinger
    The Madhi Legacy
    Slugfest - 55 Watchman Sentinel | Slugtrooper - 55 Gunnery Commando | Slugconsular - 55 Seer Consular | Slackfest - 55 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Slugagent - 55 Marksmanship Sniper | Slugwarrior- 55 Annihilation Marauder | Slughunter- 55 Arsenal Mercenary | Slugsorcerer- 55 Lightning Sorcerer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It always depended on the class for me. On my BH I definitely make better progress with a healer. On my JK/warrior I was fine with Kira or Vette...they actually made packs go really fast. Similarly Kaliyo worked very well on my agent. I was always a little disappointed because it felt like the first companion you got was not only the only one with the largest back story, most detailed romances, but also the best to quest with.

I typically never changed companions until the end game, if ever. And then it does seem like a healer trumps everything as it lets you solo the group quests fairly easily if you have CC.
    That's why I love having my Sith Inquisitor (Sorc) and a Tank companion.

I send him in with a static barrier on him. Let him grab attention, then chain lightning the crap out of everything, pick off the low health mobs, keep my companion healed up, and collect loot.

I'm only level 30 right now, but i'm sure it will only get easier with better/stronger spells.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing about Tank companions is they are very high maintenance gear wise. Even then they get demolished by any group of mobs that can stack dots on them. Also it seems as you progress further into the later part of the game 40-50 they get worse and worse. It amounts to too much time using the self heal button. When you can just blaze through quests with a healer.

The thing about Tank companions is they are very high maintenance gear wise. Even then they get demolished by any group of mobs that can stack dots on them. Also it seems as you progress further into the later part of the game 40-50 they get worse and worse. It amounts to too much time using the self heal button. When you can just blaze through quests with a healer.
    I like leveling as a healer with a tank companion. You spend most of your time healing with a bit of damage and aoe tossed around. I prefer the tank companion to the dps (when healing) because the tank holds aggro on multiple mobs better, so you only need to heal him instead of both of you.

I leveled most of my sorceror as heals with Khem Val.

10+ Year Old Account
    After you get enough Presence, you can run with whatever Companion you want. For me, Vette can solo every planet up to Tattoine. That being said, I prefer using Tank Companions over Healers. Tanks are fairly durable, do a decent amount of damage, keep you from taking damage, and are super easy to heal post fight (dismiss and resummons takes a couple of second, or just mount up and dismount). Healing Companions reduce downtime, but fights last longer.