Deleted

Worth the extra hundred?

Basically, I'm purchasing a laptop to replace my desktop. I've got just over a grand (£) and have picked out one that I feel is best value for money I'll get. I know for the same price I could get some beastly desktop etc. but due to circumstance I do need a laptop. However for a £100 more there is a similar laptop but it has a larger HDD and a 128GB SSD as well as 8GG more of RAM. Same processor and graphics card I'm just curious if people think the quality of life improvement will be that much better if I wait a while and shell out the extra cash.

Here's the two for any one interested, cheers...
    http://www.medion.com/gb/prod/MEDION...%29/30015833A1
    http://www.medion.com/gb/prod/MEDION...%29/30015837A1

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say.. If you can afford it, it's worth getting the SSD. The extra ram isn't useful really.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    I'd consider SSD almost a must-have in a laptop. In addition to speed it consumes less power and is resistant to vibration. That is, if you allow your HDD to stay spinned down most of the time.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    purchasing a laptop to replace a desktop seems like a silly thing to do. You can't modify/replace parts of a laptop as easily as you can a PC. My suggestion is just investing the money in newer parts for your PC and saving yourself some trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by dystin View Post
    Basically, I'm purchasing a laptop to replace my desktop. I've got just over a grand (£) and have picked out one that I feel is best value for money I'll get. I know for the same price I could get some beastly desktop etc. but due to circumstance I do need a laptop. However for a £100 more there is a similar laptop but it has a larger HDD and a 128GB SSD as well as 8GG more of RAM. Same processor and graphics card I'm just curious if people think the quality of life improvement will be that much better if I wait a while and shell out the extra cash.

Here's the two for any one interested, cheers...
    http://www.medion.com/gb/prod/MEDION...%29/30015833A1
    http://www.medion.com/gb/prod/MEDION...%29/30015837A1
    YES YES YES, the SSD alone is worth the 100£ upgrade, but to get 16 gigs of ram v 8 and 1tb of HDD v 750g . 100£ is a steal. The boot time from the SSD will make life 10-100x better. On my desktop I went from 2 min boot down to 15 seconds

My only advice is to HEAVILY consider how you will be using your PC/laptop.
    If 80% of your time is spent playing a game or browsing/watching videos, you will crave a desktop.

If you have no choice but to have a mobile PC for school/work related things then heavily consider a $300 netbook or even tablet device and spend the $700 on a desktop.
    Make sure you are weighing all available options.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugbot View Post
    My only advice is to HEAVILY consider how you will be using your PC/laptop.
    If 80% of your time is spent playing a game or browsing/watching videos, you will crave a desktop.

If you have no choice but to have a mobile PC for school/work related things then heavily consider a $300 netbook or even tablet device and spend the $700 on a desktop.
    Make sure you are weighing all available options.
    Sounds weird but I won't have a permanent home to set up a desktop in. I understand that the money would take me a LOT further in a desktop but unfortunately it's not an option for a few years.

Cheers for the advice guys then, didn't realise the benefits of a SSD, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by dystin View Post
    Sounds weird but I won't have a permanent home to set up a desktop in. I understand that the money would take me a LOT further in a desktop but unfortunately it's not an option for a few years.

Cheers for the advice guys then, didn't realise the benefits of a SSD, thank you!
    If your looking for something that is easy to move you could look at AIO(all-in-one) systems though finding one with decent hardware is a bit of a pain.

But yes, a SSD in a laptop is VERY useful. Less heat, more durable, less power consumption and faster boot/load times.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I don't have an SSD myself so I can't talk of the benefits you would gain from having one outside of what I see in the Tech specs but the SSD alone would cost you around 100$ if you decided to upgrade to one sometime down the road so the fact you could get an SSD, 250GB of extra storage, and double the RAM(though most likely wasted) on an otherwise similar system for an extra 100$ is practically a no brainer to me.

Deleted
    Yes get SSD in the laptop it is so worth the money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    I don't have an SSD myself so I can't talk of the benefits you would gain from having one outside of what I see in the Tech specs but the SSD alone would cost you around 100$ if you decided to upgrade to one sometime down the road so the fact you could get an SSD, 250GB of extra storage, and double the RAM(though most likely wasted) on an otherwise similar system for an extra 100$ is practically a no brainer to me.
    100£=154.60$.