Ecuador allows oil exploration in Yasuni

Hey everyone,

Early tonight, the president of Ecuador allowed oil exploration to occur in their Yasuni National Park, which is in the heart of their Amazon forest. The Yasuni is known as one of the most biodiverse places in the world and I have been lucky enough to spend a month there last summer. As a Biologist, I think this is the worst move they could have done. Their original plan was to get wealthy countries to pay up $3.6 billion to preserve it, which is what Costa Rica kinda did to keep it's country so well preserved. Aside from killing their eco-tourism, it also has the potential to contaminate the Amazon River, which would fuck over Brazil pretty hard. They have done this in the past and really fucked themselves hard with Texaco decades ago and are still dealing with it.

Anyway, what do you guys think about all of this? Worth the oil or would you prefer the pristine rain forest?

Article:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...3b2_story.html

I'd rather the oil business stay out. We've seen too many times what happens to the environment when they get involved.