Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    I'm not saying release all Gitmo prisoners. I'm saying, try them in military tribunals.
    No.

Just run them through the ordinary criminal courts. Put them on a plane, fly them from Guantanamo to Ronald Reagan airport, and march them into the DC Superior Court for arraignment, same as any other criminal suspect.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Obama strikes again !

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    No.

Just run them through the ordinary criminal courts. Put them on a plane, fly them from Guantanamo to Ronald Reagan airport, and march them into the DC Superior Court for arraignment, same as any other criminal suspect.
    I don't know what they're classified as though, because trying a POW doesn't happen. But if they're classified as civilians, then yes.

Plainly and obviously unconstitutional (and against international laws as well), there's not really any reasonable debate to be had about it, but we've done a fantastic job constructing a legal system that can rationalize whatever behavior we've decided could potentially be in the best interests of "security".

International laws maybe. But I don't know if a terrorist suddenly has constitutional rights the moment he is captured.

Probably not, it's at least not obvious that they do. If they're American, they certainly do, although we've found delightful little loopholes to pretend they don't.

Yeah, but let's not pretend that even Americans in Yemen with Al-Qaida aren't fair targets to be droned.

I'm skeptical, but it's a lot more reasonable to me than capturing someone and holding them indefinitely without trial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm skeptical, but it's a lot more reasonable to me than capturing someone and holding them indefinitely without trial.
    Considering that Obama made a legitimate attempt to shut down Gitmo and put the prisoners there through some sort of judicial process, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I'm not blaming Obama. The stupidity of our Gitmo policy requires a sort of emergent complexity that defies individual blame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm not blaming Obama. The stupidity of our Gitmo policy requires a sort of emergent complexity that defies individual blame.
    Otherwise known as the Republican Party.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

More or less. As I've bitched about repeatedly, the idea that the parties are the same on civil liberties drives me nuts. Congressional Democrats aren't very good (they voted in favor of the original Patriot Act, for example), but they're much less bad (they voted against renewing the Patriot Act, for example).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be surprised if Gitmo ever closes. Nobody else wants them, and I sure as hell don't want them transferred to the continental US.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    I'll be surprised if Gitmo ever closes. Nobody else wants them, and I sure as hell don't want them transferred to the continental US.
    Why not? A max security federal pen holds people just as bad (if not worse).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    So does Northern Alaska. We can turn it into our own Siberia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should they be afforded the same rights as US citizens?
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

No, but they should be afforded basic human rights, as defined by international standards.

Even federal prisoners don't have the same rights as a law abiding US citizen.

They can't vote, their mail is censored (or even withheld), etc. So I really don't see the problem in tossing them into a Federal Pen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I hate the idea of indefinite detention without trial, it goes against everything I believe in.
    Spoken like a true terrorist. Detain this man until he proves he is not a terrorist... indefinitely if needed.

Seriously though, I like government powers to have defined limits. Change it from "indefinite" to "up to 1 year" or something reasonable. It shouldn't take forever to figure out if someone is a terrorist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even federal prisoners don't have the same rights as a law abiding US citizen.
    They have Sixth Amendment rights afforded to them as citizens. Do we extend those rights to Gitmo prisoners if they are transferred here and placed in a federal pen or do we just detain them indefinitely like we do now without due process?