Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

The Winter thread and this year's winter

I don't know about other countries, but I have a feeling that this year's winter is going to be brutal.

We've had some crazy heat waves here in Germany (also experienced in other parts of Europe), there was also the flooding a while ago...
    I'm not basing this on any prediction or actual knowledge, it just seems to me, that whenever we have high temperatures around this time of the year, the winter usually comes in with full force.

I remenber this being the case in 2006 and then again in 2009/10, with strong snowstorms and freezing temps coming even as late as April.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, pics from my area that I got from google from those winters

Now, I'm in love with winter/snow, so this isn't a problem for me, IF this winter is really strong.

What about you? Does it bother you?
    And do you think your area will be very cold/snowy this year?

The only thing that grinds my gears during winter is possible train/plane delays, and considering I'll be heavily dependent on trains this year, that could be problematic...

10+ Year Old Account
    i hope it is a very white winter! i love snow! probably be a late winter in the UK, February snow again.
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    i hope it is a very white winter! i love snow! probably be a late winter in the UK, February snow again.
    Did you also experience unusually high temperatures this year in the UK?

I live in Canada, snow and cold is a given lol. Though last year wasn't too bad overall. Only a few really bad cold snaps and never more than 1 or 2 ridiculous snow dumps all winter. Had a pretty brown Christmas.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Last Spring was non-existent so we better have a non-winter this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Calgary in Canada. We have 2 seasons - Winter and Construction. Winter lasts from October to May.

Snow is meh. I prefer the cold over the boiling hot weather though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll probably never see snow again The coldest it ever gets down here is 35-40F

Winter is a royal pain in the ass. I used to like it when I was younger but have now realize that it's just cold, dark and miserable lol.

One thing I do like though is Glögg(mulled wine), which you really only drink here in the winter, it is what gets me through the winter months. ;P

Skål!
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

I live in Sweden, it will snow for 5 months solid or some shit. Fortunately new buses \o/

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Winter is a royal pain in the ass. I used to like it when I was younger but have now realize that it's just cold, dark and miserable lol.

One thing I do like though is Glögg(mulled wine), which you really only drink here in the winter, it is what gets me through the winter months. ;P

Skål!
    Glühwein!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I live in Sweden, it will snow for 5 months solid or some shit. Fortunately new buses \o/
    Well yeah, I mean ''unusual'' snow/cold.

Winter is coming...

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Winter is coming...
    ...because she likes the D.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I live in Canada, snow and cold is a given lol. Though last year wasn't too bad overall. Only a few really bad cold snaps and never more than 1 or 2 ridiculous snow dumps all winter. Had a pretty brown Christmas.
    It was exceptionally snowy over here last year. We broke the city record for most snow in a winter.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It was exceptionally snowy over here last year. We broke the city record for most snow in a winter.
    Yeah I guess out East it was kind of bullshit, but it always is. Alberta is the only province that matters anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Houston has had a relatively mild summer this year (Only like 35F most days), and I expect the winter to be the same.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

We had a pretty bad winter last winter so I'm hoping this next one is better.

This year im hoping for record snowfall, tons of rain and cold temperatures. So much so those summer-loving heathens will rue the day they cried when it rained after an entire month of sunshine!

Bask in my threats of an evil, cold, dreary snow winter!! ahah hahahaha. Seriously though, our winter last year was mild-- too mild. And this summer has been too hot and too sunny. I think people around here forgot they lived in a rainy city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Yeah I guess out East it was kind of bullshit, but it always is. Alberta is the only province that matters anyway.
    I'm not "out East". I'm next door to you.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I'm not "out East". I'm next door to you.
    All this time I thought you were in Ontario lol...where the fuck are you?

10+ Year Old Account
    We had a brutal winter here in the North-east of the UK a few years ago. Icicles upwards of 10ft long hanging from peoples guttering, massive amounts of snow, and some serious white-outs. The previous winter this year was just horribly cold and it felt really long, but we didn't get massive amounts of snow at least (though we did have enough to cause some disruption)

Apparently as we go through this century, extreme summers are what we get to look forward to. Not the nice and sunny kind though, but rather the intensly hot and punishing kind that usually involves a major heatwave forecast, except that temperature hike you usually associate with a heatwave will just be the solid temperature you get throughout the entire summer.

I'm more worried about the summers than the winter!
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!