Quick question about upgrading from windows 7 to 8 on an old HDD and new comp

So I am going to be building a new computer but I am keeping my old hard drive. If I were to put windows 8 onto the HDD that has windows 7 would it just do an upgrade and keep all my files? I see no reason why this wouldn't work but I just thought I would ask.

You can choose if you want to upgrade or keep old files. Wouldn't try to upgrade since you're doing big hardware changes, that will only get messy.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Unless you have touch screen you have no reason to upgrade to win 8. It's acknowledged as an disaster even by microsoft.
    There's talk about that they might make the next windows version basically be a huge servicepack for win 8, that won't cost anything, but it's a chance to take.
    You can make it look like win 7 with some freeware stuff i can't remember the name of, but navigating around in win 8 as it is now, is just pure pain.

OT: Vesse did answer that ^^
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

It's acknowledged as an disaster even by microsoft.
    is that so? I haven't seen reports of Microsoft calling their OS a disaster.

I have Win8 installed after an upgrade from win7, and once you have a start menu program like Classic Shell or Start8 installed it functions pretty much exactly like win 7, with some performance enhancements. I barely notice its even Win 8.

Deleted
    classic shell gives back all the functionality of win 7 ( inc start button ! ) i upgraded to win8 when it was on special offer and tbh havent looked back booting from an ssd i`m on the desktop in 10 seconds i couldnt get close to that with win 7, 8 just seems faster overall.