Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Why do anything then, as all you do will be eventually replaced, right? Then your life will end, and all that 'progress' will be for nothing. Edit: it isn't just about you, others matter as well.

Now, actually being to the point, the reason why people raid and do these types of things is probably for the personal challenge. I mean, why would people do the hard modes of a game? Personal challenge, and overcoming that challenge, refining your self to be able to complete that, testing one's abilities to the maximum, knowing one's limit, surpassing that limit, attaining one's potential, gain knowledge; however way one wants to call it. These are just personal reasons why (I) some people may want to do hard mode or difficult things in games, including raiding or heroic raiding. On an individual level. And just simply to have fun.

Then there is the multiplayer aspect, which generally comes down to raiding with friends and enjoying the moments you play with your friends, whether they suck at the game or are good at the game. Helping one another surpass their own respective limits, and overcoming obstacles together, as friends. And just simply having fun together.

Gear isn't the sole motivator for raiding; physical rewards are not the sole motivator for doing difficult things in and out of games. People do it because they want to, or they have personal motivations for doing it, not just for rewards.
    Last edited by Kotori125; 2013-08-19 at 06:26 PM.

Fun and lore mostly. If I reached a point where I'd consider raiding a "boring tedious job" I'd stop playing and pick up another game.

because someone has to rid the internet of monsters

Raiding is a culmination of co-op play that defines this genre of game.

Deleted
    The frustration comes from the impossibility of ever achieving BIS in spite of clearing the available content every single reset for the entire tier.

The point if achieving BIS is to have the best possible start on next tier, unfortunately most classes are being completely overhauled, so the actual "BIS" for entering next tier usually gets changed during the last few weeks before the next tier. Blizzard Entertainment has a habit of making you want to ask for a refund of your time

i like the challenge of working as a team to take down the most dangerous mobs in the game, and the more personal responsibility the better, if there is a unique job on a boss, i will be the one doing it, Kicking turtles? on it, flying to nests? thats me. i also lead my raid guild, so theres also the fun of laying the raids CDs and abilities to tackle the boss, learning each of my members strong points and assigning them to jobs suited for their skills. This is the fun part. i mean dont you ever see a random big scary elite in the world and go.. i bet i can take it, and you waste hours of your day trying to solo something you ought not be able to? i guess thats how i approach raiding, its a big scary boss, and i want it dead. the loot, does not even matter to me, its a means to an end. so it does not bother me that my gear is "reset" which, in and of itself is a silly statement, gear is never reset, its not like you can enter into SoO with crap gear and expect to do well, any gear you get from heroic ToT will just make pushing into SoO easier, so nothing is pointless. hell even with expansions my raid gear lasts me way longer into the starting zones of new expansions, and i have an easier more fun time lvling than my wife, who does not raid, and cant kill shit. so your whole statement is faulty, Gear Never Resets.
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

I don't understand LFR, but I do understand Heroic raiding. Some people like myself find enjoyment in the progression of learning and improving. It's fun to adapt oneself to greater and greater challenges, refining your technique along the way. As for gear being reset? It wouldn't be fun without. It's why the Ladder system in D2 was so fun. Characters become too stagnant and powerful over time without resets along the way. Additionally, temporary fun is still fun. Do you go to a movie and complain about the price and length because it will be a "waste of time" after you leave the theater? I imagine the answer to that is no. You put in time and money for a temporary form of enjoyment. Raiding is no different.
    Last edited by Frogged; 2013-08-19 at 06:35 PM.
    "I realized it is the struggle itself that is the most important. We must strive to be more than we are. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards." -Data

10+ Year Old Account
    The story. The large group fights. Test skills against difficult mechanics. Gear (more so now with transmog). Bigger numbers. A way to fight that isn't against other players. The scenery. The laughs and good times with buddies. BiS is a collectors/completionists game, which is only a small part of raiding. The big boss models. The music.

I might be missing a few things. Plenty of reasons to want to raid. It's only fun if you make it that way, though.

What's the point of buying that shitty used car with 80k miles on it? You're just going to replace it with another car several years from now.

What's the point of getting that low-paying job? You're just going to find a better paying job later.

What's the point of buying that computer? You're just going to buy a better computer five years from now!

What's the point of raiding? You're just going to replace that gear when the next raid comes out.

Here's a hint: The point of raiding isn't the gear.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    Car with 80 000 miles is pretty good for old car. Normal numbers for old cars in market places are around 300 000. My car has over 300 000km and still works just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogged View Post
    I don't understand LFR, but I do understand Heroic raiding. Some people like myself find enjoyment in the progression of learning and improving. It's fun to adapt oneself to greater and greater challenges, refining your technique along the way. As for gear being reset? It wouldn't be fun without. It's why the Ladder system in D2 was so fun. Characters become too stagnant and powerful over time without resets along the way. Additionally, temporary fun is still fun. Do you go to a movie and complain about the price because it will be "useless 90 minutes from now"? No. You put in time and money for a temporary form of enjoyment. Raiding is no different.
    LFR isn't for everybody, and it wasn't meant to be that way. The point of LFR is a catch-up mechanic, as well as a simple outlet for people that cannot commit to the guild schedule (but remain with them, because 1. they may be friends or 2. they may just be in a tight spot work/life-wise and will be back to raiding eventually), or people that don't feel like being guilded and still wish to see the story/progress the characters gear in a PvE setting. Others use LFR for more content due to the fact it doesn't share a lockout with normal/heroic modes, or to grind out a slightly weaker version of a piece they have a hard time replacing in normal/heroic modes (there is no NEED to do this, only a personal want... which is something whiners don't seem to comprehend). There are plenty of reasons to have LFR. I used to hate the idea of it back in DS, and I refused to run it (my character still progressed through normal mode just fine and worked up in heroic mode after... so LFR did nothing to hurt my personal progression, and I ceased to care that it was a part of the game).

Not saying you are a whiner or anything, I just wanted to clarify to those that STILL have some ludicrous problem with the fact that LFR is in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Such a generalisation seems inaccurate imo
    Character power levels are a very important aspect of end-game play, it's how you "keep leveling". It's the sole motivation for a lot of raiders and a primary source of drama with respect to guilds. I've raid lead and run a few raiding guilds in rather long time playing and the toughest nut to ever crack was the "im here for the gear" mentality of a lot of players. Blizz understood it as well, which is why they added thunderforge gear, gives a reason to keep raiding a farm boss, u could get a slight upgrade still.
    Quit trying to be argumentative. And don't add a "" to be passive/aggressive. Like the guy was saying, if gear were the only motivation for people, people wouldn't raid when they were in BiS. The guy was right. If you only raid for gear, and find no fun outside of getting loot, then there isn't going to be much motivation after you get your BiS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    I am quiet sure, that there is big demographic of raiders who raid purely because of elitism. After raid you can just pretend to be afk in sw/org with that fancy, very exclusive and rare mount you just got from the latest raid.
    Which hardly anyone actually notices unless they park on a mailbox in front of the AH (in which case it's time for some baby spice). About the only thing that people really used to notice was Alar and that's now pretty common.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

What's the point of PVP? They're just gonna replace the gear next season.

What's the point in collecting achievements? They're just gonna add new ones next patch.

What's the point in collecting pets? They're just gonna add new pets next patch.

What's the point of collecting mounts/titles? They're just gonna add new ones next patch.

It's for fun.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

What is the point of anything in this existence other than what you personally make of it? Like money, what is the point beyond basic necessities. You could save up 10 Billion dollars but what will that do when this earth inevitably goes through another natural cleansing and resets life on the planet. You create your own purpose in life and you create your own purpose in the things you do. Some people see very little point in other people's hobbies but to those people those hobbies have a very personal sentimental value.

To answer your question more directly, raiding is something of a ladder and in order to climb up to the next peg you are required to be on the peg directly below it. In terms of raiding at any difficulty you aren't going to maintain your progression in the raiding ladder if you don't complete the available content at your desired skill level. If you want to consistently raid at a Normal level, one must acquire the gear from the current Normal raid in order to be able to participate in the upcoming Normal content upon release, otherwise they will be required catch up.

Some people just enjoy feeling a sense of progression with their actions and raiding is an avenue to that feeling.

For me, it is to kill all the bosses on the hardest difficultly with a bunch of friends. Getting amazing gear just kinda happens along the way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    i understand that playing the game is itself a waste of time
    1. What are you doing on a WoW forum
    2. In every aspect of the game gear eventually gets replaced, why complain only about raiding?
    3. If playing the game is a waste of time, isn't discussing the game an ever greater waste of time?

Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    What is the point of raiding when your gear is going to be reset every few patches? It just makes everything you did a huge waste of time, i understand that playing the game is itself a waste of time, but when you bang your head on your keyboard for hours trying to down a boss for a BiS item only to have it replaced...then whats the point of even trying?
    Yeah...I don't raid for items, exclusively. Point in fact, I stopped raiding when raid leader told we wouldn't be doing heroic progress any longer.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

If you raid just for the gear, i feel bad for you. The best thing I ever did was stop stressing over loot and do it for the challenge. The feeling I get when we down a boss we've been wiping and wiping on is unmatched for me. Focus on the lore more and the raids become something different than loot dispensers.

Once I figured out that raiding wasn't actually about loot, it started becoming more fun.