Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Everybody is obviously going to have a different opinion, but many of those reasons are the reasons I left.
    Sitting in queue for an LFR that was fun maybe the first 2 or 3 times I did it, in order to get gear that I didn't really like the look of(the entire expansion), just so I could get into the next LFR wing to be released so I could repeat the whole process over again. Filling in the queue time with repetitive daily quests which were also enjoyable only for about the first week, or pet battles which were enjoyable in short spurts at best. Tried to combat the burnout with alt leveling, but the leveling experience is so ridiculously short(most of my numerous alts were already 85 at start of MoP) from 85 to 90, so you the experience is still fresh in your mind when you are on the next alt and that starts feeling repetitive really fast too. Having to fill the long LFR queues with boring repetitive task was probably the biggest factor in burn out for me. Queues aren't exciting, and when the vast majority of the game is spent in a queue....

  2. #122
    This thread lacks excitement.

    There's plenty of excitement, Jaylock. If you can't find excitement, that's your problem.

    I also predict that this thread will not turn out well. Just like every other Jaylock thread.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

  3. #123
    I feel bad for people who can't find excitement in WoW easily. It's not hard at all to do. People from TBC (even though I started in TBC) and Vanilla are just too used to having limited things to do and refuse to do anything out of the ordinary.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I really dont play any computer games anymore, and I find other great things to do like exercise, cycling, and other outdoor things.
    Do more of those things and make fewer threads.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    I think you're confusing 'excitement' with 'fun'.

    You'll never be sitting on the edge of your seat for what might happen next if there is no risk of you 'losing' something. WoW is a convenience MMO, any form of meaningful excitement isn't welcome in it, because such excitement and adrenaline can only be simulated by the risk and danger of losing stuff and being set back. There is also no real platform for 'involuntary' events, the one time they added the possibility of involuntary risk was back with the WotLK pre-launch zombie event, and that had tons of people crying already because they had to corpserun.

    When you park your avatar in your city you're as safe as a kitten in a soft cozy blanket. You can't suddenly have your online day being turned upside down because Alliance/Horde decided to raid your city and steal your stuff.

    So I don't think it's wrong at all to say, that objectively speaking, on a potential excitement meter WoW would score pretty lowly.
    Good lord, I can appreciate the point your trying to get across, but first if your little second world was so important to you, you would never leave the house.

    Secondly, you claim to have something to lose compared to a wow player, really friend, they are both still just pixels on a computer monitor, its the human that play the characters that add the human element to it, good and bad.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blackmore View Post
    Do more of those things and make fewer threads.

    and make over 2100 posts on mmo champion, I was coming to make this post and saw yours here already, so I quoted,lol.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazooty View Post
    In vanilla there weren't things pointing you everywhere, and everything wasn't deemed "necesaary". You often found things by accident or by exploration and it felt awesome.
    I can guarantee you that if Blizzard went back to classic style quests, that it wouldn't feel awesome anymore. It felt awesome because it was all new.

    Quests werent designed for everyone to see.
    How do you figure? Everyone in a faction did the same quests, depending on where they started. Every human did the same quests in Elywnn, Westfall and Redrige. Pick a race and faction, and it was the same thing. The only difference in questing between then and now is that people have more information about quests now and they can get around around faster due to some conveniences.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

  7. #127
    Stood in the Fire Doomthulsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I was just thinking about this the other day, and I reflected on why WoW lacks excitement currently. Its not because the downtime between patch cycles, but it stems from a much greater problem than that.

    WoW has become a bucket list. Now hear me out on this. The game is essentially played by creating a bucket list and following that list.

    1) Login.

    Goal: Cap valor asap and continue to do so on other characters

    2) Daily Heroic Scenario
    3) Daily Heroic Dungeon
    4) Battlefield Barrens weekly
    5) An LFR or two
    6) Rinse and repeat.

    Notice the only thing getting the player out in the world is the barrens weekly quest. Everything else is queued for. Its just not exciting. And after one week of the barrens quest, it gets old, especially when its done on other characters.

    Where is the excitement of logging in, and then figuring out in game what you wanted to do for the day? There are no more goals that are actually worthy of time and effort other than heroic raiding, and even that becomes dull because you essentially fought the same boss with some ability bloat to create difficulty.

    Now contrast that to an epic quest chain like the Onyxia quest line (for Alliance). There were several steps, and accomplishing each step just to gain access to that raid boss felt like you were gaining ground. You got gear along the way inevitably as you went through BRD and other dungeons. The player felt like a part of the quest. Or the quest chain that gave access to the Black Temple. Each step in the quest felt amazing because you saw how your accomplishments opened new parts of the game for you to explore. Now, the legendary quest chain is just another bucket list type quest chain. Its too carved out in stone, and feels generic.

    TL;DR

    WoW lacks excitement because the developers made the decision to create such a simple bucket list type system, with generic quests, and overly simple dungeon / raid design.

    In other words, the game is great in the gameplay department, but lags behind in the excitement factor.
    The game is almost 10 years old. What the hell did you expect after playing a game for nearly a decade. There is only so much that Blizzard can come up with.

    And what you described in the remaining two paragraphs was never reality in vanilla WoW. Nothing's changed.

    Wipe those nostalgia boogers from your eyes.

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post

    Subjective. Also at least 7M people disagree with you.
    Oh behave, you cant just pluck that figure out of thin air. Regardless what 7m people say Blizzard would still have changed it. It was them that suggested people should see content and not the other way around. If the game was left to the same TBC difficulty, we would still have the same amount of subs coming and going.

    I dont have any recollection of any mass protests of the game difficulty back then.

  9. #129
    We'll I agree with the OP, unlike many others I can see.

    I subbed for I belive the 3rd time inn MOP now. Even after a break off like 5 months I can still be bored quickly.

    I jumped from 365 to soon Ilvl 500 inn like 4 days. Granted I had some valor and rep done already from before trough.

    Now I can just log on to do daylies, finish up the last achivements I can bother (Thinking about dino grind + Arch achivements atm), and else do the HC scenario and some valor stuff. LFR I'll proboaly not bother to do again - LFR is not for me.


    Basicly, wow is really booring fast if you dont raid now days. But I'm not a raid logger - I just can't play wow only to raid, it just dosen't work. I want to enjoy the hole game. If I got a great guild once again I feelt at home with, I could maybe consider raid again - Something I have done so much already.
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

  10. #130
    This is why I unsubscribe from WoW every time it runs out of interesting content. For me, a given patch only gets my money for as long as it's fresh. As soon as I've absorbed all the new lore, fought all the new bosses, and gotten all the items I'm interested in for my main, I turn it off again.

  11. #131
    Epic! Nyxxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,605
    I don't follow that bucket list, I either level my hunter, or raid on my lock I find either of those more fun than that list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crym View Post
    Spoiler: The reason Garrosh is defeated is because, just when he's being attacked, Malchezaar pops out of a portal, yells "yoink!", and takes his weapon away.
    Armory

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Oh behave, you cant just pluck that figure out of thin air.
    Nope. That's the number of paying subscribers. And if they pay, there must be something done right in the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    I dont have any recollection of any mass protests of the game difficulty back then.
    Oh, there was. Too bad the old forums are no longer available. But the patch history is a little hint of the difficulty:

    2.0.7 four weeks after launch: Black Morass, Durnholde, Shadow Labyrinth, Coilfang Reservoir and Mana Tombs nerfed

    In addition to official patchnotes, following instances got hotfix nerfs: Karazhan (multiple times, on trash and certain bosses like Nightbane and Shade of Aran), Serpentshrine Cavern, Magtheridon (multiple times), Tempest Keep raid trash

    2.0.10 eight weeks after launch: Botanica, Mechanar, Arcatraz, Shattered Halls, Serpentshrine Cavern, Shadow Labyrinth, Durnholde, Black Morass and Karazhan nerfed

    In addition to official patchnotes, following instances got hotfix nerfs: Karazhan (multiple fixes), SSC (many), Gruul (many, on both bosses), Magtheridon (many)

    And the big one almost exactly three months after launch which nerfed raid trash respawn time from 45 minutes to 120 minutes. The insane tuning of five-man heroics, Gruul, Magtheridon and SSC/TK raid trash caused more whine threads during first two months of TBC than LFR caused during whole MoP to date.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-08-20 at 10:52 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  13. #133
    Epic! Bosbeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Batcave
    Posts
    1,530
    Although this isn't the first thread to discuss this, from my PoV the OP is absolutely right and explains one of the reason why I left WoW.
    At a certain point endgame was just like:
    Cap Valor, 1 HC scen, 1 random HC, 1 Raid a week, Dailies.
    It's just so fucking lame and knowing that you play the endgame to get some badges isn't exicting at all, and
    since the 'epic feeling' of discovering WoW has abandoned me long ago the valor grind becomes even more obvious.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Nope. That's the number of paying subscribers. And if they pay, there must be something done right in the game.
    A lot of players just log in because they think they have invested too much in this game, or are afraid they will lack the social contact when not playing. Even a bigger part of the playerbase doesn't even form an opinion about what's good or bad in the game.


    Oh, there was. Too bad the old forums are no longer available. But the patch history is a little hint of the difficulty:...
    And here you contradict all your previous posts about TBC. You always claim there was a very small percentage of the players raiding in TBC, and now you go on about MASS protests?

    Funny how you always tell that people should be more coherent/consequent in the things they say, but at the same time you do that yourself. Aside from all the negative things you say to/about people. But hey, I once played on the same server and even in the same guild and even then people (including me) found you to be an obnoxious asshole...

  15. #135
    The Patient Renx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    287
    It is pretty dull, but it usually always is at the end of a Patch cycle. 5.4 will come out and be interesting and new (I hope Timeless isle is a huge success). After 2-3+ Months it'll die down and get dull again because well doing the same thing 10x over each week PER characters gets boring. That's just how it is.
    Hopefully with timeless isle and Flex it'll be a little more interesting.

    Keep in mind I'm not complaining. I still currently play and will do so unless I hate a raid tier since I play this game for the raiding and lore, but I can just read the lore. I don't think this is the worst they've done (Tier 13 days were 10x more dull imo).
    WoW is a grind, the whole game is built on "Grinding" like it or not you're gonna log in and do some sort of grinding 90% of the time.

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuch View Post
    And here you contradict all your previous posts about TBC. You always claim there was a very small percentage of the players raiding in TBC, and now you go on about MASS protests?

    Funny how you always tell that people should be more coherent/consequent in the things they say, but at the same time you do that yourself.
    Because reading is obviously quite hard for you, let me recap the most important bit from my post you just quoted without reading it through with some added emphasis:
    The insane tuning of five-man heroics, Gruul, Magtheridon and SSC/TK raid trash caused more whine threads during first two months of TBC than LFR caused during whole MoP to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuch View Post
    Aside from all the negative things you say to/about people. But hey, I once played on the same server and even in the same guild and even then people (including me) found you to be an obnoxious asshole...
    I don't remember there being "anonymous asshole #1" in the same guild as I was... at least not for long.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  17. #137
    Scarab Lord Frozen Death Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The forsaken lands of Sweden
    Posts
    4,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Well I like the game, as it was pretty much my first MMO, and it was set in the Warcraft fantasy world that i grew fond of from the RTS games. I really dont play any computer games anymore, and I find other great things to do like exercise, cycling, and other outdoor things.

    If Blizzard would go back to some of the core things that made the game more exciting, and stop creating such generic, "all you can eat" type game elements, then I think some of that original excitement could come back.

    What do you do in game that makes the game exciting for you? Do you feel excited when you log in? Are you just itching to log in and play genuinely out of excitement, or are you just doing so because you feel obligated to so you dont let your friends down?
    The only times I have ever been excited to log in was when I actually started playing in Vanilla as well as logging in to get to Northrend when WotLK got released (had been looking forward to seeing Northrend in WoW since the start). Other than that, who would ever be excited to just log in?

    Also, if you play out of obligation, you need to get your priorities straight. I stopped playing the moments I felt that I was getting tired and then go back when I felt like it. Seems like the most sensible thing to do, to be perfectly frank.

  18. #138
    High Overlord cwowtbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    choosing to ignore other features does not equal the game doesnt have any. choosing not to go looking for rares, choosing not to go looking for random BoA weapons scattered around, choosing not to work on professions, choosing not to go to the gear vendors (which btw, are not in the cities either) does not mean there isnt any other stuff in the game for people.

    i think you feel that way after a few months of any patch. they can gate you if you like.. but really people dont want to be gated anymore. just realize at some point you are going to be waiting for that next patch so you can have "more stuff" to do.

    I just wanna say I dislike the smirk on your signatures face it's bothering me lol.

  19. #139
    Scarab Lord Frozen Death Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The forsaken lands of Sweden
    Posts
    4,560
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Stop with the asinine buzz words. Wow is an mmo just like any other mmo. Get over yourself. You aren't nearly as smart as you think you are.
    Don't bother. He's just trying to bait people with his signature and attitude. It's just a typical way to bypass the rules of these forums to be able to say and do things that otherwise would be infraction worthy if someone with a lesser vocabulary would try to say it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    People that just play PVP have a very different game experience than people who do their PVP through the auction house or pet battles. People that stay out of groups have a very different experience than those who raid. Of course you can create your own game experience by putting different pieces of the game together in ways that you prefer and not doing the things you don't like. There are hundreds of different ways to play WoW. Just because the content is there for anyone to access doesn't mean that everyone is doing the same as everyone else.
    Yep. At the beginning of WotLK, I raided and ran dungeons a ton, but then got bored and started doing PvP only. Did only rated BGs and Arena in Cata along with some world PvP. At no point since I started playing did I do the exact same thing over and over or things I did not want to do at all. I either found a new path or stopped playing till I felt like it again.

    In the future when WoW has more features and activities to experience, I will have more ways to play the game the way I want to. That's the strength of WoW that I frankly don't see in a lot of games, new as well as old. The size of it is why I find it so appealing.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2013-08-20 at 01:55 PM.

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Masses pay the bills. Game development is not exactly cheap.
    It is the dedicated loyal fans of the Warcraft RTS games that translated into the massive number of subs that WoW achieved. Those early WoW players were the lifeblood of the game and helped shape the game into what it is today. The "masses" are just the side crumbs, the passerbys, the transients of the WoW MMO world, and they expect everything given to them. Blizzard is happy to comply with their whining for the sake of taking that nice $15 a month out of their wallets, which adds up. The "masses" were never needed to keep Blizzard profitable.

    And that is one gigantic pile of bullshit. Wanna point me towards any MMORPG that has less than 10000 subs and/or paying F2P customers released in last ten years? Or even less than 100K? The magic number seems to be around 100-200k today where publishers are pulling the plug and games are no longer profitable to maintain.
    I think you failed to pick up on his embellishment. Of course an MMO cant survive on 500 paying subs. His point was that you dont need 7 million subs to keep and stay profitable.

    And no, private servers of UO does not count because those run on volunteer work, not by paid staff.
    Many private servers are funded by donations of the communities they build. People are happy to pay a "sub fee" to the ones who maintain those servers if they get what they come for. Several private servers that offer vanilla and tbc era content do make money, albeit not legally by blizzard's terms of service and copyright.

    If you choose to be antisocial it's your problem. I've had some great RP experiences in WoW but not many, and not recently. RP realms are there for a reason, because you might actually find some RP there... Especially if you're actively following the realm forums and attend to events.
    I've heard this steaming pile of bull shit before. Yes, if a person chooses to be anti-social, then thats their problem, but the thing you fail to recognize is that Blizzard has created a game where there is little to no incentive to do so. They have perpetuated the anti-social agenda through their anti-social "convenience" tools and UI. Yes its convenient to sit in a city and press a button to join a dungeon, and yes its the most efficient (although lazy) ways of gaining the game points to buy epic gear from vendors. But having said that, its plain anti-social behavior encouraged by blizzard BECAUSE of the tools they implemented in game.

    EQN is doing something different for the sake of being different from WoW like GW2 did last year (and failed) and what TESO is trying this year (and probably will fail for the same reason as GW2). Lack of "holy trinity" simply will not work in MMORPGs because people will lose the last bit of distinction between classes, and WoW is blamed for homogenization when GW2 has one class that does dpstankheal.
    Your "(and failed)" after what GW2 did last year is baseless and clearly shows your ignorance. GW2 has sold more copies than any other new MMO to date. GW2 actively has millions logging in each day to their servers, and they are vibrant as ever. Their content patches happen almost once a month, sometimes more, and they are pulling in revenue just fine. Learn the facts before posting such garbage. You have a clear bias towards WoW, and it is an ignorant bias at that.

    Time will tell if the UGC works or not, but it did nothing for any of the previous attempts (STO, CO, Rift, Neverwinter etc). It's most anticipated MMO at the moment by EQ fanboys that got burned by EQ2 fiasco, but I personally have seen nothing yet that would hold interest of somebody like me who likes raids (unlike Wildstar which tops my list of most anticipated upcoming MMO).
    Its ironic how you use the term "fanboys" to describe people who blindly like and defend a game and its developers. You should really try out other games, and not just level a character to 5 and quit just to turn back to your god that is WoW.

    I don't understand why people so vehemently defend WoW and act like criticism toward their game is a personal attack on them or their family. Its bizarre that this happens.

    The whole point of my original post was to describe how WoW lacks excitement. It was not to bash the game, but people automatically go into defense mode, and think I am personally insulting them when I say anything negative about WoW.
    Last edited by Jaylock; 2013-08-20 at 04:41 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •