Thread: Season 4

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,349

    Season 4

    Hey all!

    As some of you may know, I host the Modded Minecraft list here on MMO-Champ. If you don't know about it then please go check it out! Some of you may also know that I do a lot of Minecraft related Youtube work.

    I am planning on starting another series featuring myself doing s SSP Let's play using mods.

    I am looking for your input though. I would like to know what you guys would like to see in a series. These can be general suggestions or specific things. The goal is to do something epic and take my channel to the next level. I'm spending a lot of time pre-planning episodes this time around so there is a coherent theme.

    I'm looking for suggestions of:

    • Projects
    • Mods to use
    • Design Ideas
    • Goals

    I can't guarantee everything suggested will be shown, but I will try to incorporate the things people want into the series as best I can. I will have a preliminary modlist in the coming days that should help you guys point me in the right direction.

    Things to note are that this will be a 1.5.2 series. I have gone back and forth and decided that 1.6.2 just isn't where I want it to be in terms of stability and mod availability. My one idea however is to showcase 1.6 changes alongside the 1.5.2 let's play. For instance, if I do an episode or two about Tinkers Construct I will show off the 1.6.2 changes in a "side episode" that will air the same day. This way viewers can see whats new and great with 1.6 while getting a solid LP.

    So fire away. Looking forward to reading your suggestions.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2013-08-20 at 07:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Sounds good! I totally see the reason for sticking with 1.5.2. Most modders don't seem too enthusiastic about this update and honestly 1.6 doesn't bring anything I'm interested in anyways.

    Looking forward to seeing what you do now that you're planning things ahead of time. Should end up be a much smoother viewing experience.
    Check out what I'm selling in ESO HERE!

    Interested in joining the MMO-Champion US guild? Whisper me in-game! @greevir

  3. #3
    Mod List:
    • TerraFirmaCraft
    • Smart Moving
    • NEI
    • REI's Minimap

    TerraFirmaCraft is plenty complicated to keep you busy. It's kind of like Tinker's Construct, but WAY more complex. You should at least do a side season on it.

  4. #4
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Adalonus View Post
    Mod List:
    • TerraFirmaCraft
    • Smart Moving
    • NEI
    • REI's Minimap

    TerraFirmaCraft is plenty complicated to keep you busy. It's kind of like Tinker's Construct, but WAY more complex. You should at least do a side season on it.
    I've been thinking about doing a TerraFirmaCraft series, but not as my Season 4 LP. That's the kind of thing that has to be done on it's own and not with a bunch of tech mods. That may be something I tackle in the future if TFC continues to be maintained. Haven't heard much good about it lately though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what you do now that you're planning things ahead of time. Should end up be a much smoother viewing experience.
    Smooth is my middle name!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also, I didn't mean to turn down the first suggestion that came. TerrafirmaCraft is a total re-work of Minecraft that is not compatible with the aims of what I had in mind for a series. It's something i may tackle in the future, but for this project it's not what I had in mind.

    Still very interested to hear ideas

  5. #5
    Fuzzzie, just some random thoughts.

    1. Home location. Maybe build you base up in the top of a huge tree, or under water with a glass cover. Or inside of a giant glacier.

    2. Energy Creation. Look for alternative energy generation. Some options might be solar, railcraft steam using for example blaze rods from a soul shards controlled spawner for early / mid game and then move into nuclear. Or maybe do some stuff with Big Reactors although I am beginning to think that mod may have died.

    3. AE for storage but using lots of combinations with other machines to automate stuff like building difficult / tedious builds like large solar arrays where it requires a lot of smaller components that combined into larger components.

    4. Mining. Since Redstone in Motion seems to be continuing to be developed for 1.5.2 maybe do some frame based miners and maybe tie that into Red Logic.

    5. It would be nice if you also posted your config files (not sure if you plan on using your current 1.5.2 setup since some of those mods have updated since you aren't actively maintaining the 1.5.x list anymore). Also, maybe give us links to the world at various points so we can download them and see more details about how you did things.'

    6. Maybe do some stuff with railcraft. I personally tend not to use that mod much but I know there are a lot of nice features.

    Again, just some random thoughts. Maybe there was something in that mess of ideas worth considering.

    Looking forward to your new series.

  6. #6
    1. noooo u must do it on 1.6x anyone who says it dose not bring anything they are missing the point of a LP the points is to be cutting edge up to the minute, also its not them playing it its you ;-P

    2. gamerule naturalregen off this must be set its a must makes the game so much more fun for the viewer and player as it add the hart beating fear of the first time you played minecraft

    3 you know what mods u have the list already i would say tho drop UE stuff its just pretty but other wise bad doc and wiki and FULL i mean FULL of bugs

    also 1.6 brings alot to the table as a lot of thhe mods have added new stuff BUT only in 1.6 version also clay and horse the new ai its a must for me

    i have 86 moids running at mo and they all seem to be working great together on gripe i have is with new ic2 exp as its lead gen is a bit op but as player said it is exp version lol

  7. #7
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg SA
    Posts
    49
    Mods:-

    1: Usual major ones IC2, Buildcraft, Railcraft, Forestry, Thaumcraft, TE etc
    2: seriously consider using MoCreatures, is awesome fun and adds a lot to the world. Adds to gameplay as well because wandering around during the day isn't completely safe anymore
    3: Definitely Redstone In Motion, have yet to see anyone put it in an LP and give me ideas how to use it.
    4: Tinkers and Natura because they're awesome
    5: Logistics Pipes, everyone else seems to be using AE which while it has incredible(Read OP) storage it's sorting system is retarded and watching dire fumble about with it is infuriating and has relegated him to being played on the other screen while I play minecraft.

    Projects/Design Ideas

    Most(if not all) Lets Plays focus entirely on the technical aspect of the mods and completely ignore the aesthetics so would be nice to see someone actually build something good looking/interesting around their machines. I try to do this and will upload some screenies of my world in a separate thread today if you wanna check it out.

    Goals
    Basically challenge yourself, set up rules like dire and his no tech in twilight forest. In my current world I've banned myself from using solar and lava but for an LP I would go the other way and force yourself to use EVERY different power gen possible. In most LP's people are lazy and do the easiest simplest way out which isn't very entertaining to watch.

    Basically explain(and maybe show) the different ways to come at a problem in minecraft, obviously you can't do them all or your entire series would be about the different ways to mine but giving people different ideas is never a bad thing.


    EDIT
    Also start at simple basics, while not for anyone on this thread people who are first starting out with modded MC need to know these things.
    Last edited by ScottulusMaximus; 2013-08-21 at 08:21 AM.

  8. #8
    I've got to put in my vote for using 1.6.2 vs 1.5.2. I'm not sure what mods you don't think are stable or not available. The only big ones I think that are missing are Thermal Expansion, which does add worldgen but can be overcome with Mystcraft, and Thaumcraft which can add worldgen to an existing world. Any other little ones that aren't out can be added later.

    As for the stability of the mods. I've been playing 1.6.2 for awhile now and haven't run into any major bugs. Sure IC2 has some issues with armor display and such but a few minor bugs like that would not ruin the experience when watching your videos. And as time goes on, those bugs will be worked out.

    Just my 2 cents.

  9. #9
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,349
    Quote Originally Posted by laguy442 View Post
    Fuzzzie, just some random thoughts.

    1. Home location. Maybe build you base up in the top of a huge tree, or under water with a glass cover. Or inside of a giant glacier.
    I did think about starting to build out of a mountain next to some plains. Will take a while to find the correct seed

    Quote Originally Posted by laguy442 View Post
    2. Energy Creation. Look for alternative energy generation. Some options might be solar, railcraft steam using for example blaze rods from a soul shards controlled spawner for early / mid game and then move into nuclear. Or maybe do some stuff with Big Reactors although I am beginning to think that mod may have died.
    I like the blaze rod idea. I was also going to mess with oil/fuel for early game. Maybe also do biofuel as well. I also plan to connect these systems together and have them turn on and off as needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by laguy442 View Post
    3. AE for storage but using lots of combinations with other machines to automate stuff like building difficult / tedious builds like large solar arrays where it requires a lot of smaller components that combined into larger components.
    Trying to decide the best way to do it. AE for all your storage can be a bit boring. Will have to decide exactly how I want it to work out.

    Quote Originally Posted by laguy442 View Post
    4. Mining. Since Redstone in Motion seems to be continuing to be developed for 1.5.2 maybe do some frame based miners and maybe tie that into Red Logic.
    Will definitely be attempting a non-rp2 frame quarry!

    Quote Originally Posted by laguy442 View Post
    5. It would be nice if you also posted your config files (not sure if you plan on using your current 1.5.2 setup since some of those mods have updated since you aren't actively maintaining the 1.5.x list anymore). Also, maybe give us links to the world at various points so we can download them and see more details about how you did things.'
    Sure, I can do the configs.. World download may be tough though, not sure how often I would want to do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by laguy442 View Post
    6. Maybe do some stuff with railcraft. I personally tend not to use that mod much but I know there are a lot of nice features.
    I have always wanted to d really cool things with Railcraft. Was going to do some stuff on the last server until everyone lost interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by skedone View Post
    1. noooo u must do it on 1.6x anyone who says it dose not bring anything they are missing the point a LP the points is to be cutting edge up to the minute, also its not them playing it its you ;-P
    If the mods that I want are ready for 1.6 when I start the series then I'll do 1.6. Somehow I doubt that they will though and I'm not really interested in waiting another 2 months. 1.6 has been out for almost 2 moths now and a lot is still missing.

    Quote Originally Posted by skedone View Post
    2. gamerule naturalregen off this must be set its a must makes the game so much more fun for the viewer and player as it add the hart beating fear of the first time you played minecraft
    Cool. I'll look into that. Never used it before.

    Quote Originally Posted by skedone View Post
    3 you know what mods u have the list already i would say tho drop UE stuff its just pretty but other wise bad doc and wiki and FULL i mean FULL of bugs
    Aside from MFFS I probably wont be using any UE stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by skedone View Post
    also 1.6 brings alot to the table as a lot of thhe mods have added new stuff BUT only in 1.6 version also clay and horse the new ai its a must for me

    i have 86 moids running at mo and they all seem to be working great together on gripe i have is with new ic2 exp as its lead gen is a bit op but as player said it is exp version lol
    Again, I would love to do 1.6. It just has to be at a good place when I start.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottulusMaximus View Post
    1: Usual major ones IC2, Buildcraft, Railcraft, Forestry, Thaumcraft, TE etc
    Of course!

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottulusMaximus View Post
    2: seriously consider using MoCreatures, is awesome fun and adds a lot to the world. Adds to gameplay as well because wandering around during the day isn't completely safe anymore
    Done! It's in!

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottulusMaximus View Post
    3: Definitely Redstone In Motion, have yet to see anyone put it in an LP and give me ideas how to use it.
    4: Tinkers and Natura because they're awesome
    5: Logistics Pipes, everyone else seems to be using AE which while it has incredible(Read OP) storage it's sorting system is retarded and watching dire fumble about with it is infuriating and has relegated him to being played on the other screen while I play minecraft.
    They're all in too!

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottulusMaximus View Post
    Most(if not all) Lets Plays focus entirely on the technical aspect of the mods and completely ignore the aesthetics so would be nice to see someone actually build something good looking/interesting around their machines. I try to do this and will upload some screenies of my world in a separate thread today if you wanna check it out.
    I checked them out. Very nicely done! It's something I have to work on. Might do some practice builds beforehand and get an idea for what I want things to look like

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottulusMaximus View Post
    Goals
    Basically challenge yourself, set up rules like dire and his no tech in twilight forest. In my current world I've banned myself from using solar and lava but for an LP I would go the other way and force yourself to use EVERY different power gen possible. In most LP's people are lazy and do the easiest simplest way out which isn't very entertaining to watch.
    Not sure that I'm going to use Twilight Forest, but if I do then that rule sounds good. I will be using many different power sources too!

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottulusMaximus View Post
    Basically explain(and maybe show) the different ways to come at a problem in minecraft, obviously you can't do them all or your entire series would be about the different ways to mine but giving people different ideas is never a bad thing.
    I think that will go back to the variety of tech builds I have in mind. Different setups will do similar things.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottulusMaximus View Post
    EDIT
    Also start at simple basics, while not for anyone on this thread people who are first starting out with modded MC need to know these things.
    I'll see how far I can take that, although doing the very basics would be boring. Perhaps starting with vanilla farms etc would be a good idea though.

    Quote Originally Posted by rckymtnrfc View Post
    I've got to put in my vote for using 1.6.2 vs 1.5.2. I'm not sure what mods you don't think are stable or not available. The only big ones I think that are missing are Thermal Expansion, which does add worldgen but can be overcome with Mystcraft, and Thaumcraft which can add worldgen to an existing world. Any other little ones that aren't out can be added later.

    As for the stability of the mods. I've been playing 1.6.2 for awhile now and haven't run into any major bugs. Sure IC2 has some issues with armor display and such but a few minor bugs like that would not ruin the experience when watching your videos. And as time goes on, those bugs will be worked out.

    Just my 2 cents.
    It's a big question mark right now. If 1.6 is at a point when I start the series that I want it to be then I'll use it. Just sick of waiting right now though.

    ----

    Thanks for the suggestions. Feel free to keep them coming.

  10. #10
    If your going to use mo creatures mate don't use naturalregen gamerule it will just anoy you also turn ogar off other wise the ninth time in a day it smashes your build to bits will just make you not want to bother any more. Also game sounds from insects in it might be a bit annoying. For a lp I would say play with it a bit and record a test just to see what u think.

  11. #11
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,349


    Hopefully I'll get some new input from my other viewers.

    Still looking for suggestions. I'm going to have a mod list up in the next few days. It wont be a final list and I'll still take suggestions, of course. I'm at about 75% finished the modpack/configs.

  12. #12
    I like the idea of chosing a different path than the other LP'ers. Just mining for a bit, putting down some TE or IC2 machines, making a quarry, AE system, automating everything ASAP... This is a very regular route. Instead, for exemple, you can process your ores with TiC early game or make some Thaumcraft stuff before having a huge stock of every resource. And definitely don't make a regular old cube house. Remember your, neo's and my bases back in the 1.4 server? Very functional but they look hideous. I just don't want to see more ordinary houses, make use of your (or other people's) imagination, and please make a cool base, not a multiple floor basement-cube house. An underground man cave, a pyramid, a sky base, an underwater base are just some examples.

    Edit: Are you gonna be using dartcraft? I mean it is a fun mod, but it is so op that makes some things so incredibly easy (especially early game but mid and late game too). I guess it's ok that the game is not so grindy at start, but i don't like that it renders some items useless (i don't know if that's a correct expression) such as Tinker's Construct hammer and excavator, the "area mode"... Also the force engine is way too easy to set up for early game MJ, even more so than the clockwork engine. I am not against you using it but you might want to restict yourself a tiny bit...
    Last edited by expl0s1ve; 2013-08-28 at 01:48 PM.

  13. #13
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,349
    Quote Originally Posted by expl0s1ve View Post
    I like the idea of chosing a different path than the other LP'ers. Just mining for a bit, putting down some TE or IC2 machines, making a quarry, AE system, automating everything ASAP... This is a very regular route. Instead, for exemple, you can process your ores with TiC early game or make some Thaumcraft stuff before having a huge stock of every resource. And definitely don't make a regular old cube house. Remember your, neo's and my bases back in the 1.4 server? Very functional but they look hideous. I just don't want to see more ordinary houses, make use of your (or other people's) imagination, and please make a cool base, not a multiple floor basement-cube house. An underground man cave, a pyramid, a sky base, an underwater base are just some examples.
    I do plan to use TC pretty early on. I'm also probably going to avoid using quarries altogether. Maybe only making one late in the series. I also plan to build out of a mountain this time around so that should be interesting. Railcraft is also going to be a big component using it for transportation. Also going to limit the use of Modular Powersuits since its so cheap early on.

    Quote Originally Posted by expl0s1ve View Post
    Edit: Are you gonna be using dartcraft? I mean it is a fun mod, but it is so op that makes some things so incredibly easy (especially early game but mid and late game too). I guess it's ok that the game is not so grindy at start, but i don't like that it renders some items useless (i don't know if that's a correct expression) such as Tinker's Construct hammer and excavator, the "area mode"... Also the force engine is way too easy to set up for early game MJ, even more so than the clockwork engine. I am not against you using it but you might want to restict yourself a tiny bit...
    Greevir and I were discussing it last night. Probably not going to use that mod.

  14. #14
    One thing to do is pick one biome mod and prune back. Having as many different biomes as possible may sound cool, but it can get very annoying in a very short time. You may want to try something new; the Highland biome mod look really interesting and may offer some different scenery.

    Also look at limiting the number of tech mods that get loaded. Don't just throw everything into the mix just because you can. Pick and choose mods that will work together well and offer a good progression from low to higher tier. You might try to take IC2 completely out. As an example of logical incompatibility between mods, I have been playing with UE on my latest 1.5.2 sever and have really liked it, but it adds steel really early in the tech tree compared to railcraft; I would prefer to use railcraft steel generation, but Mekanism needs steel for even its most basic machines.

    I would love to see you use logistic pipe as a start of your sorting system, then add in AE to compliment it, not replace it. Would love to see more of how those two could work together. Big Reactors is another mod I would love to see a practical on.

    Since you are going to be using 1.5.2, you should go back to your 1.5.2 mod list and do one final sweep to update that list as several of the mods have been updated since you archived it.

    For a purely decorative standpoint, I have liked MyCrawfish's Furniture mod and Carpenter's Blocks. You might try adding something like that.

  15. #15
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannerick View Post
    One thing to do is pick one biome mod and prune back. Having as many different biomes as possible may sound cool, but it can get very annoying in a very short time. You may want to try something new; the Highland biome mod look really interesting and may offer some different scenery.
    It's something I'll definitely be looking at. Going to be using BoP exclusively. Might scale back some of the more annoying biomes and go with stuff that looks amazing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannerick View Post
    Also look at limiting the number of tech mods that get loaded. Don't just throw everything into the mix just because you can. Pick and choose mods that will work together well and offer a good progression from low to higher tier. You might try to take IC2 completely out. As an example of logical incompatibility between mods, I have been playing with UE on my latest 1.5.2 sever and have really liked it, but it adds steel really early in the tech tree compared to railcraft; I would prefer to use railcraft steel generation, but Mekanism needs steel for even its most basic machines.
    Wont be using UE. At least not for this LP. I am going to be using a lot of mods though and I think part of the fun is making them work together in new ways. I'm not just going to be throwing down machines for the sake of it though. I have a plan and plan to take it easy and use low tier stuff first, even if higher tier stuff is available. Kinda going through the evolution of the mods rather than grabbing super-high end stuff by episode 3.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannerick View Post
    I would love to see you use logistic pipe as a start of your sorting system, then add in AE to compliment it, not replace it. Would love to see more of how those two could work together. Big Reactors is another mod I would love to see a practical on.
    That is exactly what I plan to do. Big Reactors will also play a role.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannerick View Post
    Since you are going to be using 1.5.2, you should go back to your 1.5.2 mod list and do one final sweep to update that list as several of the mods have been updated since you archived it.
    I will be visiting each mods thread or website and grabbing the latest version for 1.5.2. I know the 1.5.2 list is out of date, but I had to stop updating it at some point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannerick View Post
    For a purely decorative standpoint, I have liked MyCrawfish's Furniture mod and Carpenter's Blocks. You might try adding something like that.
    The furntiure mod is in. The other one I'm not aware of but I'll take a look.

    Thanks for taking the time to post!

  16. #16
    Project: Make a galgadorian drill.

  17. #17
    a few mods...
    Metalurgy
    Galacticraft
    Harken Scythe
    Millenaire

  18. #18
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,349
    Quote Originally Posted by expl0s1ve View Post
    Project: Make a galgadorian drill.
    Okay!

    Quote Originally Posted by jjj005510 View Post
    a few mods...
    Metalurgy
    Galacticraft
    Harken Scythe
    Millenaire
    Metalurgy will most likely be in, Galacticraft no. Not doing UE. Harken Scythe looks cool, although I'll have to watch the spotlight. Milenaire is also probably another no as I don't know how I could fit it in with my plans. Thanks for the suggestions though!

  19. #19
    a few projects..
    Automated diamond production
    Automated brick production (bees, maybe)
    Combination pig/zombie pigman farm-grinder
    A base made from stained glass

  20. #20
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,349
    Alright. Here's the mods that I have installed so far for a 1.6.2 let's play. The list is incomplete and I will be adding more soon. Just thought I would give an update.

    Code:
    Forge
    Forge Multipart
    Zan's Minimap
    Iron Pressure Plate
    MrCrayfish's Furniture Mod
    Applied Energistics
    The Barrels Mod
    Bibliocraft + Bibliowoods
    Binnie Mods 
    Biomes O Plenty
    Blood Magic
    Buildcraft
    Additional Buildcraft Objects
    Carpenter Blocks
    Chargepads
    Chicken Chunks
    Compact Solars
    Computercraft
    Craftable Horse Armor
    Energy Manipulation
    Enchanting Plus
    Ender IO
    Ender Storage
    Extra Cells
    Extra Utilities
    Factorization
    Flat Signs
    Forestry
    Nuclear Control
    Immibis Microblocks
    IC2 Experimental
    Infinibows
    Iron Chests 2 
    Logistics Pipes
    Gravitation Suite
    Modular Powersuits
    Mystcraft
    Natura
    NEI Addons
    NEI
    nxMinetilities
    Portalgun
    Project Bench
    Railcraft
    Red Logic
    Redstone in Motion
    Small Boats
    Steve's Carts 2
    Switches
    Tinkers Construct
    Teleport Pipes
    Translocators
    TukMC
    Waila
    Wireless Redstone CBE
    Some things I'm leaving out for now.. Metalurgy. After talking to RobertMichael I've decided that it isn't worth it. Also, laguy reports issues with it so I don't think I'll use it this time. Mo Creatures is also having issues now too, mostly doing with the GUI API.

    I've also got other mods that I'm looking at so give me some time to look through them. I'll be doing that today.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •