Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Did you pass?
    Pass what BUDS? In case yes I did. Air Rescue Swimmer not exactly the hardest, but, I didnt want to jump right into SEAL School, even though I had the scores to easily do so.

@OP: Oh yeah, secret clearance stuff, yeah, if you skip out on that, and they find out you're pretty much swabbing the poop deck for the next 20 or so years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaynith View Post
    Depending on the type of Secret clearance, different things can happen. They usually do a credit check, and like i said, depending on the type of Secret, they will do a very extensive criminal background check. Most people going through basic/tech school only get a preliminary background check that doesn't dig terribly deep.
    Credit doesn't matter as I'm only 19 and I don't have credit anyways.
    Hey everyone

I used to work in AF recruiting so I'll shed some light on the current environment.

Right now it's really hard to get a job. This means more people than normal are looking at the military as an option. The Air Force is getting lots and lots of applicants that are tech savvy and/or mechanically inclined. This is great but since there are so many people for so few jobs and so little money to operate with the AF looks at the most qualified applicant that will require them to spend as little money in the recruiting process. Yes, you have some minor offenses but a lot of manpower is going to go into processing it all and making sure you're clear. Manpower we don't have currently because our country hasn't managed its finances since Clinton left office.

Your best option is either get in line and hope you get in, or go talk to the Army recruiter. I provided my neighboring Army recruiter with about 75% of his recruits. Smart kids but not what the AF wants.

Deleted
    Sorry for off-topic, but damn, the US is wierd with their category offenses and whatnot.

But how can your debt have anything to do with joining the Air Force, or any other branch?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JadleHF View Post
    Sorry for off-topic, but damn, the US is wierd with their category offenses and whatnot.

But how can your debt have anything to do with joining the Air Force, or any other branch?
    You could sell information.
    Hey everyone

Deleted

Those in debt are more easily brought, bribed or prone to stealing, it also shows poor moral character and poor discipline. In short, they are a higher security risk.

Its not so much an issue with joining, but its a liability with sensitive info. Case in point, you're overloaded with debt, and the chinese offer $15k for some info...seems unrealistic, but stranger things have happened.

**EDIT** No offense to the chinese!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfarad View Post
    I used to work in AF recruiting so I'll shed some light on the current environment.

Right now it's really hard to get a job. This means more people than normal are looking at the military as an option. The Air Force is getting lots and lots of applicants that are tech savvy and/or mechanically inclined. This is great but since there are so many people for so few jobs and so little money to operate with the AF looks at the most qualified applicant that will require them to spend as little money in the recruiting process. Yes, you have some minor offenses but a lot of manpower is going to go into processing it all and making sure you're clear. Manpower we don't have currently because our country hasn't managed its finances since Clinton left office.

Your best option is either get in line and hope you get in, or go talk to the Army recruiter. I provided my neighboring Army recruiter with about 75% of his recruits. Smart kids but not what the AF wants.
    My recruiter mentioned the same thing about Army but I'm going to see how much more I can push myself through. I'm going to make them feel like I really want it, not just signing up because it's a way to escape.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    My recruiter mentioned the same thing about Army but I'm going to see how much more I can push myself through. I'm going to make them feel like I really want it, not just signing up because it's a way to escape.
    Look into the Navy too, they will offer many technical trades.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going Navy, I'd rather go Marines than that.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    I'm not going Navy, I'd rather go Marines than that.
    Why is that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is that?
    I don't think it would really be a good fit for me, the US Navy has issues that I just don't want to deal with. Many Navy people I've met seem very immature (I'm not saying every one of them is) and they haze a lot even after Basic Training and I'm not up for that.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    What's that have to do with the Chair Force?
    Hey hey hey, I find that offensive good sir.

Sometimes we have couches too.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    I don't think it would really be a good fit for me, the US Navy has issues that I just don't want to deal with. Many Navy people I've met seem very immature (I'm not saying every one of them is) and they haze a lot even after Basic Training and I'm not up for that.
    You don't want the Navy to haze you so consider the Marines? I respect the US marines and would rather work alongside their Infantry than the US Army Infantry, but they are the most gung ho, motto crazy people I know, they haze a LOT more than the Navy. You will also meet a lot of immature people in every branch, they do not mature until after the age of 25'ish, they are no different to civvies in this regard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Hey hey hey, I find that offensive good sir.

Sometimes we have couches too.
    You are jealous of my nice muddy puddle, so comfortable.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't want the Navy to haze you so consider the Marines? I respect the US marines and would rather work alongside their Infantry than the US Army Infantry, but they are the most gung ho, motto crazy people I know, they haze a LOT more than the Navy. You will also meet a lot of immature people in every branch, they do not mature until after the age of 25'ish, they are no different to civvies in this regard.
    That's what the Marines are about, they basically breed a soldiers. When a person goes into the Marines, they aren't the same person after Basic Training. The Navy just isn't my thing and never will be.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what the Marines are about, they basically breed a soldiers. When a person goes into the Marines, they aren't the same person after Basic Training. The Navy just isn't my thing and never will be.
    The Navy has cracked down on hazing a lot. I would recommend Navy AT rating, Avionics Technician, good schooling, great experience. The Navy has most of the advantages of the Air Force, plus ports of call. And in Aviation, you NEVER have to worry about sleeping in a tent.

Did you pass?
    This was certainly true 25 years ago. I tried to be honest on mine, and told them I smoked pot a few times. This led to: "A few? Is a few 2-3 or is a few several?" Meanwhile I know people who insist they were tripping when they shipped out, and I almost got into a fight with a guy I shipped out with in the airport because he thought the book I was reading was gay(fantasy fiction). I don't know why reading books with hot chicks with dragons on the cover is gay, but he didn't like it.

Point being, yeah, they do background checks, but the thoroughness of those checks depends a lot on what you're doing and the level of clearance you need.

Meanwhile, back in the civilian world, the company checking me for my new job called to find out the name of my boss and location of the Radio Shack I worked at in 1991(which was not on my CV or application paperwork).

Switching gears, you are confusing me a bit. Wanting to go Air Force because it's easy and wanting to go Special Forces, which is about the hardest thing you could possibly do, are diametric opposites. If you want to go SF, you won't want to do it after college. Also, the Air Force has the para-rescue job. It is a 2.5 year program that rivals - perhaps exceeds - the other branches' special operations teams. IF YOU SURVIVE - then you will be committed to the job for several years. The pass rate is very low, at which point, you get put wherever they want to put you. This is regardless of which branch you are in.

So, I would give some thought to what you want to do: If it is join the military so you can go to college, then I suggest enlisting in the Air Force, do well on your ASVAB, and select a spec that relates to your major(I agree that computer anything is good!) and do it. If you want to go Special Forces and you really think you have what it takes(seriously, big, strong, and huge mental fortitude) then go for Special Forces. Just be aware, the training will break you, the question is whether you keep going after it breaks you. Most people don't, and that is why they fail.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Semper Fi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayonel View Post
    This was certainly true 25 years ago. I tried to be honest on mine, and told them I smoked pot a few times. This led to: "A few? Is a few 2-3 or is a few several?" Meanwhile I know people who insist they were tripping when they shipped out, and I almost got into a fight with a guy I shipped out with in the airport because he thought the book I was reading was gay(fantasy fiction). I don't know why reading books with hot chicks with dragons on the cover is gay, but he didn't like it.

Point being, yeah, they do background checks, but the thoroughness of those checks depends a lot on what you're doing and the level of clearance you need.

Meanwhile, back in the civilian world, the company checking me for my new job called to find out the name of my boss and location of the Radio Shack I worked at in 1991(which was not on my CV or application paperwork).

Switching gears, you are confusing me a bit. Wanting to go Air Force because it's easy and wanting to go Special Forces, which is about the hardest thing you could possibly do, are diametric opposites. If you want to go SF, you won't want to do it after college. Also, the Air Force has the para-rescue job. It is a 2.5 year program that rivals - perhaps exceeds - the other branches' special operations teams. IF YOU SURVIVE - then you will be committed to the job for several years. The pass rate is very low, at which point, you get put wherever they want to put you. This is regardless of which branch you are in.

So, I would give some thought to what you want to do: If it is join the military so you can go to college, then I suggest enlisting in the Air Force, do well on your ASVAB, and select a spec that relates to your major(I agree that computer anything is good!) and do it. If you want to go Special Forces and you really think you have what it takes(seriously, big, strong, and huge mental fortitude) then go for Special Forces. Just be aware, the training will break you, the question is whether you keep going after it breaks you. Most people don't, and that is why they fail.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Semper Fi.
    My dad was Special Forces, still have his beret in my room. I'm full well aware of who the PJ's are and how their training to even become one is arguably one of the hardest compared to any branch's Special Forces (different branches call each thing differently). I know I'm not ready for it yet, my dad did it when he first joined the Army and said it was harder for him than many others that passed with him because he hadn't been in the military for years like most of them.

I do want a bachelor's degree and there is nothing stopping me from getting one and the Air Force is the best way in my opinion to go.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account

Sorry, had to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Most likely a job regarding repairing-fixed wing aircraft, more specifically I want to be involved in Aircraft electronics. Dealing with the wires and such, computer systems. Personally I don't want Aircraft maintenance, too many people do that and less job opportunities afterwards.

I have considered Special Forces down the road later after college but who knows by then.
    Join the Navy, its better and you can do aircraft maintenance and avionics technical work.

BTW Im not sure if I understand correctly but you will still be able to get a secret security clearance with the record you have. If you score highly on the ASVAB to qualify for avionics technician they can probably easily get you any waivers you would need for seriously minor offenses on your criminal record. Also its not like they will force you into the army if you cant get into the Air Force or Navy, if they dont accept you you just walk away, go to an avionics tech school and get a job with Boeing, MD, or an airline.

- - - Updated - - -

Theres pretty much no hazing any more in the Navy. If it does happen people get in big trouble. I say pretty much because there are some traditions that could be considered voluntary hazing such as Chiefs Initiation and crossing the line(all they do is spray a little water on you). By the time you get to that point both of those things will probably be gone too.